PNW Rainier Gen 3 Issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

PNW Rainier Gen 3 Issues

I am likely describing this incorrectly but my gen 3 Rainier is not pushing the actuator back after the lever is pressed, resulting in the post lowering when weight is put on it. I took a small spill on my last ride when I stalled out on a steep short climb. I saw no damage other than a turned saddle, so I loosened*the seatpost collar, got it straight, and went on with the*ride.*

When I got home I noticed the dropper was not actuating smoothly so I pulled it out and that is when I noticed*that the actuator was moving quite rough and in some cases getting stuck "on" and not returning*to neutral*without a bit of an assist.*

For the life of me I cannot see anything*physically at issue but it feels like it is just not getting enough push-back from the rod in the post to*reset the actuator. I have only had the post for a few weeks now and a handful of rides, so it is very clean and not in need of a service at all. Nothing on the actuator itself is bent.

What does the nut on the top of the post do? When I turn it I can see the post moving, but I don't*see any other movement.* *

I am at a loss. This dropper is so simple I cant imagine I am missing something, but I must be. I can't believe I would have damaged anything in the fall, it was so minor.

mtbr member
    I had this issue as well, it's a known problem on the early gen 3 posts. The short description is that the actuator sticks. Just email PNW with a copy of your receipt and they'll take care of you. I think it's [email protected]

In the meantime, try putting some chain lube on the pivots. That made mine work normally for another week while the new part arrived.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ty ungod, that is mildly comforting. Lazy (or efficient, you decide) me basically copied the meat of this post from the email I sent PNW. If all I need is a new actuator this will be a simple process. I had to ride with a static post Saturday and even though I only had like 4 rides in on the dropper I did not like going back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    To close a loop, PNW got back to me super-duper fast and confirmed the actuator issue and process. I should have a new one on the way soon. Hats off to the customer service team.

mtbr member
    Yeah PNW's service has been really good to me as well. Glad you got it fixed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A coupe weeks ago I got a notice from PNW saying any one with a rainier gen 3 should replace the actuator. Just installed mine and the lever feels way better. Its a major improvement in that there is less lever force needed and it seems smoother. I never had any problems but I see why they recommend it. I would guess the new actuator has more leverage.