PNW Coast suspension dropper - any user feedback yet?- Mtbr.com
    Fat and bouncy

PNW Coast suspension dropper - any user feedback yet?

I know it's very new but wonder if anyone has purchased one of these yet and can post some feedback?
    TIA

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...28488424620109
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    I know it's very new but wonder if anyone has purchased one of these yet and can post some feedback?
    TIA

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...28488424620109
    I have one.
    I don't know if I got a bad one or this is what it is.
    I'm playing with pressure to see if I can get it working.
    CS has been semi responsive....
    More to follow.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I just received mine. There are several positive reviews on their website now. One reviewer mentioned that it was good once he got the pressure set right.

Shipping was very fast to Canada with no duty/brokerage. My 27.2 100mm weighs 590g (they told me 540g in an email), so I will confirm on another scale. Also, sadly my post came with some light scoring/scratches on the stanchions. Doesn't look like it'll effect performance. Will see what customer service says about that.

EDIT: PNW customer service offered to replace the blemished/damaged dropper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNW Coast suspension dropper - any user feedback yet?-img_2241.jpg  

Last edited by jamese123; 08-30-2019 at 09:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm still playing with the psi.
    I feel like I'm doing the R&D for them.
    When I asked about pressure...they didn't know what was in it...but it would take 250 to 300 psi.
    And they added: "as it's meant to absorb terrain/gravel impacts rather than act as a rear shock." Oh Really?

For me....I'm still trying to find the sweet spot....I'm 170ish and am in the 290 psi range.
    Those high pressures require a good pump and gauge.

My 31.6 post weighed 643 grams....not including the lever and cable

The dropper functions fine....not sold on the suspension part yet.

I'm wondering how it will work in the cold....as it is on my fatbike. Having a dropper makes getting on in deep snow easier....and the suspension part would take the sting out of post holed snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    When I asked about pressure...they didn't know what was in it...but it would take 250 to 300 psi.
    And they added: "as it's meant to absorb terrain/gravel impacts rather than act as a rear shock." Oh Really?
    You likely are... PNW just rebrands and sells the latest TransX catalog offering. Which would be fine if they didn't claim that each new product is a game changer and took 3 years of development.

"Welcome to the PNW. We make industry leading dropper posts "

Come TF on...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

For me....I'm still trying to find the sweet spot....I'm 170ish and am in the 290 psi range.
    Those high pressures require a good pump and gauge.

My 31.6 post weighed 643 grams....not including the lever and cable

The dropper functions fine....not sold on the suspension part yet.

I'm wondering how it will work in the cold....as it is on my fatbike. Having a dropper makes getting on in deep snow easier....and the suspension part would take the sting out of post holed snow.
    Thanks for the info! Funny you should mention requiring a good shock pump, because I'm going to have to go buy a new one tomorrow to replace my cheap leaky pump.

I'm around 145ish. Since I leaked out too much air, it currently doesn't support my weight very well. Hopefully I can just add air until it supports my weight and then go test it out. I figured it would be basically the lowest form of suspension imaginable, so not sure how effective it'll be. I was also hoping it might just help those times when I don't get off the saddle in time, or need a bit of a reprieve.

mtbr member
    Didn't Rockshox do this first with the Reverb?

(unintentionally)
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Didn't Rockshox do this first with the Reverb?

(unintentionally)
    Sadly....that's what this thing feels like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jamese123 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Funny you should mention requiring a good shock pump, because I'm going to have to go buy a new one tomorrow to replace my cheap leaky pump.

I'm around 145ish. Since I leaked out too much air, it currently doesn't support my weight very well. Hopefully I can just add air until it supports my weight and then go test it out. I figured it would be basically the lowest form of suspension imaginable, so not sure how effective it'll be. I was also hoping it might just help those times when I don't get off the saddle in time, or need a bit of a reprieve.
    When I installed mine and rode it around the yard....it felt ok.
    But the first ride in the woods....the slightest bump would cause it to sink into it's travel and stay there.

I rode back to the van and used a old pump I keep in there....which had a damaged gasket and let the air out. Doh.
    I have been using a expensive chuck/ gauge/ regulator that is used for filling motorcycle suspension....which is not something I'd throw in my pack and play with on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    When I installed mine and rode it around the yard....it felt ok.
    But the first ride in the woods....the slightest bump would cause it to sink into it's travel and stay there.

I rode back to the van and used a old pump I keep in there....which had a damaged gasket and let the air out. Doh.
    I have been using a expensive chuck/ gauge/ regulator that is used for filling motorcycle suspension....which is not something I'd throw in my pack and play with on the trail.
    I picked up a RockShox High Pressure Fork & Shock Pump, and increased pressure a few times until it held my weight. I'm right around 250 psi, with my weight at about 145 lb (dressed with shoes). Your description sounds like how it was working when I had around 100-150 psi in it.

After a few quick curb tests I'm actually feeling more optimistic about the suspension feature of the post. This is my first dropper post.

I'm hoping to take it on some trails this evening, or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I was able to test out my Coast dropper today, and I'm kind of surprised to say that it actually works pretty good!

I rode 25 km total for my commute today. My route included paved paths and single track.

I tried to stay seated as much as possible to test the suspension feature out. There are a few long, rough sections that I couldn't stay seated for previously. With the added suspension I was able to stay seated over these sections and continue pedalling. That's not to say it's totally smooth. Definitely no replacement for full suspension.

With the dropper lowered completely, obviously there is no suspension travel left to use.

I tried to pay close attention to any sagging or not returning to full extension, but didn't notice any of these issues. I would contact PNW and see if they'll send you a new one to try if higher pressure doesn't help?
    Last edited by jamese123; 08-31-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Fat and bouncy
    With the dropper lowered completely, obviously there is no suspension travel left to use.
    So the post does drop completely? I'd assumed you'd be left with 4cm to allow the suspension part to keep working.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So the post does drop completely? I'd assumed you'd be left with 4cm to allow the suspension part to keep working.

Yes, it will drop completely. I have to make sure I have enough weight on it to get it there though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It does drop the full 120mm, at which point you have no suspension action.
    But it does have suspension action anywhere in it's travel from full extension on down.
    So if you are sitting on it dropped 100mm....it will still have 20mm of give.
    Make sense?

Fat and bouncy
    Perfectly, thanks for the extra info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    In case it's helpful to someone... what seems to be working well for me to set the pressure on the suspension is to:

• Leave the pump attached while testing so you can adjust 1 psi at a time (or less).
    • Pump up to 200 psi.
    • Do quick test by sitting on seat (hands on bars), and see if it will hold your weight. Compress suspension while seated and see if it returns to full extension.
    • If it doesn't hold you or return to full extension, gradually increase pressure and repeat quick test (half to 1 psi). If it's too firm, decrease pressure, working your way up in pressure.
    • Repeat process until it seat holds you up, and will return to full extension.
    • Go for a ride and see how it feels!

I tried removing the pump each time to test (having a helper is nice), and that just wasn't working for me (lost a lot of air each time I reconnected the pump to valve), and I'd have to bring the pressure back up each time I connected the pump.

Note: Pump has 200-300 psi written on post.

I'm also assuming we don't want any sag on this, right?
    Last edited by jamese123; 09-05-2019 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I'm also assuming we don't want any sag on this, right?
    You're giving set up tips...then asking how it should be set up??

To answer your question: there should be no sag sitting on it.

As far as losing pressure when you remove the pump, you are not ( or shouldn't be)
    But it will read lower when you reconnect the pump because you are filling the hose and gauge. ( this will happen with any shock...and the longer the hose, the lower the reading)

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by bouncing on it. The only real test is to set it and ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    It does drop the full 120mm, at which point you have no suspension action.
    But it does have suspension action anywhere in it's travel from full extension on down.
    So if you are sitting on it dropped 100mm....it will still have 20mm of give.
    Make sense?
    The suspension also seems to get stiffer the lower your seat is dropped.

You're giving set up tips...then asking how it should be set up??

To answer your question: there should be no sag sitting on it.

As far as losing pressure when you remove the pump, you are not ( or shouldn't be)
    But it will read lower when you reconnect the pump because you are filling the hose and gauge. ( this will happen with any shock...and the longer the hose, the lower the reading)

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by bouncing on it. The only real test is to set it and ride it.
    That was said more in fun than anything, hence the emoji.

Thanks for the info on losing pressure. They should really include that with the pumps.

I bounce once on the seat to break stiction and ensure the seat returns to full ride height (ie. no sag). I'm incrementally increasing pressure to ensure I have it set at the lowest pressure possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm incrementally increasing pressure to ensure I have it set at the lowest pressure possible.
    The problem I'm running into is the window between too soft and too stiff is small.....like 5 psi. And I'm using a $400 digital gauge from a suspension shop.
    At 285....it's too active. At 290...it barely moves.
    But....when it felt good at 287 psi when it was 95 degrees out...it felt a little too soft when it was 70 degrees.
    Which makes me wonder how big temperature changes will effect it...when it's really cold in winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The problem I'm running into is the window between too soft and too stiff is small.....like 5 psi. And I'm using a $400 digital gauge from a suspension shop.
    At 285....it's too active. At 290...it barely moves.
    But....when it felt good at 287 psi when it was 95 degrees out...it felt a little too soft when it was 70 degrees.
    Which makes me wonder how big temperature changes will effect it...when it's really cold in winter.
    I'm finding the same thing with the small window of adjustment.

When you say "it's too active", does it support your weight and return to full extension?

I hadn't really thought about temperature affecting the pressure, since it's not -20 degrees.

EDIT: I have seen similar temperature fluctuations, but haven't really experienced any noticeable changes in feel.

I guess if you didn't want to wait for winter, you could throw your post in the fridge or freezer and see how it works?

EDIT 2: Only annoyance at this point for me is what appears to be some play in the post forward to back. There is also rotational play, but it hasn't been an issue while riding. Will update after I get some more miles on it.
    Last edited by jamese123; 09-06-2019 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Yes, it will drop completely. I have to make sure I have enough weight on it to get it there though.
    Have same issue with a KS suspension dropper. Have to use my hand to drop it. Once dropped anywhere below full extension it acts as suspension and drops easily, but all the way up it locks out. One day I'll enough of pushing it down and try adjusting the pressure.