oneUp EDC stem and spacers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

oneUp EDC stem and spacers

Hello,
    quick question about the EDC stem from oneUp components.
    It seems neat as i won't have to thread my steerer tube.
    However i am curious about the possibility to put some spacers.
    Their schematics show the usage of their own spacers above the stem but i couldn't find anything about putting spacers below.

Could someone confirm or infirm that it is in fact possible?
    Also it is possible to use other spacers on top ?

I want to use hope spacers (better looking) and between 20 to 30mm below the stem.

Cheers o/

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I just installed one on my bike last week...you can definitely put the spacers of your choice below the stem, but above, if you need spacers, it has to be theirs to be able to click on the top cap and edc tool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BlowCF18 View Post
    I just installed one on my bike last week...you can definitely put the spacers of your choice below the stem, but above, if you need spacers, it has to be theirs to be able to click on the top cap and edc tool.
    Thanks for the clarification !

mtbr member
    I agree. No problem using “regular” spacers under the stem but under the EDC Stem- specific spacer. If I were to install mine again, I’d add one spacer under the cap to add in the tool removal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    Hello,
    quick question about the EDC stem from oneUp components.
    It seems neat as i won't have to thread my steerer tube.
    However i am curious about the possibility to put some spacers.
    Their schematics show the usage of their own spacers above the stem but i couldn't find anything about putting spacers below.

Could someone confirm or infirm that it is in fact possible?
    Also it is possible to use other spacers on top ?

I want to use hope spacers (better looking) and between 20 to 30mm below the stem.

Cheers o/
    I do not own the tool but have heard of a few things.

I believe the spacer is REQUIRED above - when one cuts threads in the steer tube it could effectively weaken the material. A spacer on top means the stem is not being pinched down at the top of the stem, around the weakened threaded area.

Perhaps they also require their stem because it's more of a guarantee that you have your stem low enough. For example, they may spec a 5mm spacer but you have a 3mm spacer laying around. the 3mm spacer may not allow enough solid surface area for the stem to clamp down on.

Take it for what it's worth and believe what you want -just repeating what I heard from the internet about why a spacer must be run on top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I do not own the tool but have heard of a few things.

I believe the spacer is REQUIRED above - when one cuts threads in the steer tube it could effectively weaken the material. A spacer on top means the stem is not being pinched down at the top of the stem, around the weakened threaded area.

Perhaps they also require their stem because it's more of a guarantee that you have your stem low enough. For example, they may spec a 5mm spacer but you have a 3mm spacer laying around. the 3mm spacer may not allow enough solid surface area for the stem to clamp down on.

Take it for what it's worth and believe what you want -just repeating what I heard from the internet about why a spacer must be run on top.
    There is no thread in the steerer tube mate, that's the whole point of using the EDC stem