Oneup aluminum pedals - failures?- Mtbr.com
    iij
    k

New question here. Oneup aluminum pedals - failures?

Just want to start with that I really like Oneup's products, and both me and my girlfriend had pedals, and still have dropper posts from OneUp on all of our bikes and really enjoy using them.

Which brings me to the failure part. Both me and my girlfriend broke our aluminum pedals within a week of eachother, and not by crashing or any pedalstrike at the moment of failure. I broke mine coasting down a fireroad to get back to a parking lot, and the other pair broke on a flat transport between trails. And both broke the trailing foot pedal.

I've been in contact directly with Oneup, as the shop where we bought the pedals has closed down, and didn't really getany answer at all?

I'd just like to know is if there is anyone else who's had these pedal issues? The pedals failed in the same way, for two riders with different weight and riding style/ability, which seems odd to me. I really like the pedals, both the feel and look, but I have a hard time regaining the trust in them to get replacements. If they'd failed like they did while landing a jump or anything else like that I'm guessing that you could get your lower leg quite sliced up.

This year has really been a weird year, with Covid-19 and everything, but also some weird failures of bike components...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oneup aluminum pedals - failures?-_psp5444.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iij View Post
    Just want to start with that I really like Oneup's products, and both me and my girlfriend had pedals, and still have dropper posts from OneUp on all of our bikes and really enjoy using them.

Which brings me to the failure part. Both me and my girlfriend broke our aluminum pedals within a week of eachother, and not by crashing or any pedalstrike at the moment of failure. I broke mine coasting down a fireroad to get back to a parking lot, and the other pair broke on a flat transport between trails. And both broke the trailing foot pedal.

I've been in contact directly with Oneup, as the shop where we bought the pedals has closed down, and didn't really getany answer at all?

I'd just like to know is if there is anyone else who's had these pedal issues? The pedals failed in the same way, for two riders with different weight and riding style/ability, which seems odd to me. I really like the pedals, both the feel and look, but I have a hard time regaining the trust in them to get replacements. If they'd failed like they did while landing a jump or anything else like that I'm guessing that you could get your lower leg quite sliced up.

This year has really been a weird year, with Covid-19 and everything, but also some weird failures of bike components...
    I would be curious to pull the pins on the other pedals that have not yet failed and see if there is any early signs of fatigue in the areas that have failed on these two pedals.

Looking at how much the anodising has worn off you two are putting a fair amount of miles on but I would expect at least some sort of response from one up.

iij
    k
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    I would be curious to pull the pins on the other pedals that have not yet failed and see if there is any early signs of fatigue in the areas that have failed on these two pedals.

Looking at how much the anodising has worn off you two are putting a fair amount of miles on but I would expect at least some sort of response from one up.
    our local park and the other bike park we ride the most both have very sandy soil or sand, and that together with a quite wet year = some nice rubbing over 12-14 or so months on the black pair. the bearings are still fine though, so that was all good. less than 8 months on the grey pair.

checked both the pedals, and actually there is cracking on both the pedals in the same areas. is there any one else who rides the same pedals that have seen the same type of cracking?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oneup aluminum pedals - failures?-_psp6256.jpg  

Oneup aluminum pedals - failures?-_psp6254.jpg  

Oneup aluminum pedals - failures?-_psp6252.jpg  

Last edited by iij; 07-28-2020 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I had great experience with OneUp customer service when I bought a V1 dropper which had more stiction than it should have had. They sent the new one out as soon as I provided the tracking number of the one I sent back. No issues with any other products from them including pedals and the replacement dropper.

I'm guessing they are busy or short staffed due to CoVid so try them again. From my experience, I'd be surprised if they were deliberately avoiding responding to you.
    Yeti SB130LR Turq Series Custom Build
    My Youtube channel Trail Bike Mike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I too really like one ups product line and quality but have their communication is awful to the extent of non-existent. Thankfully I have a local distributer.

mtbr member
    Hi iij I'm sorry if we haven't responded to you promptly. Could you DM us your email address used to contact us so we can better follow up with our team.

The best way to contact us is through info@oneupcomponents.com for any inquiries.

Thanks,
    Chris @ OneUp

iij
    k
    Quote Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
    Hi iij I'm sorry if we haven't responded to you promptly. Could you DM us your email address used to contact us so we can better follow up with our team.

The best way to contact us is through info@oneupcomponents.com for any inquiries.

Thanks,
    Chris @ OneUp
    It's great to see OneUp's presence here.

I'll get back in touch with you as suggested, DM sent!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iij View Post
    our local park and the other bike park we ride the most both have very sandy soil or sand, and that together with a quite wet year = some nice rubbing over 12-14 or so months on the black pair. the bearings are still fine though, so that was all good. less than 8 months on the grey pair.

checked both the pedals, and actually there is cracking on both the pedals in the same areas. is there any one else who rides the same pedals that have seen the same type of cracking?

Not surprised that it is happening on both sides. From what I see of the photos there is a lot of material removed in those areas during manufacturing probably to lighten them up.

I am hoping it is a one off maybe manufacturing tolerance issue as I have a pair of them as well - I pulled the pins to see anything similar but mine have no evidence of cracking in those areas yet - but they are only 6 months old on a bike I ride twice a month....

I know its a big ask but would be awesome to hear a potential cause of failure from one-up.

Between constantly checking the head/clamping area on my bikeyoke revive and now these pedals for cracking I am wondering if I make poor parts choices lol.

iij
    k
    would just like to add that I've been in contact with OneUp and they've been super helpful and also confirmed that there's been revisions of the pedal design to address this issue. also seems like the missed communication might have been caused by Google's much stricter mail filtering because of the global pandemic.

I'd really say that my trust is restored with the new info and contact. Really looking forward to ride these pedals again, nothing really comes close for me regards to both grip and aesthetic of the alloy pedal, especially with the low weight.

and kudos to OneUp for standing up for their products!

mtbr member
    I just checked on their website and it appears there is indeed more material in that area near the pins than on the photos above.
    Yeti SB130LR Turq Series Custom Build
    My Youtube channel Trail Bike Mike