One cleat releases too easily- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One cleat releases too easily

I bought a set of Shimano XT clipless pedals and then a set of Shimano multi-angle release cleats. I couldn't find anything on them, or see any difference, to suggest that there's a left and a right cleat. But ever since installing all, I had loosened up the pedals all the way (I like to fall when I need to get out of them) and started tightening them bit by bit.

The left one was a couple clicks, but the right one seems to always release too easily. Like when descending in real chunky stuff. I seem to be tightening the pedal a couple clicks every other ride or so, but doesn't seem to make much difference.

Is there a correct left/right cleat? Could the pedal be screw up?
    Just one more ride away from a good mood

mtbr member
    I strongly recommend against multi release cleats, for any purpose. They can be hazardous, releasing when you're relying on them most. Don't even use them on spin-bikes, maybe especially spin bikes.

SPD cleats are symmetric. There is no left/right. If you're experiencing left/right asymmetry, it may be the way the shoes are interfacing with the pedals. Check how the cleats are positioned on each shoe. Clip it in to the pedal by hand and look at how things are working.

Personally, I've never run into new SPD pedals that were wack, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    I'll take a look. I went with multi release because I consistently fall when I'm doing technical climb and bike comes to an abrupt stop, and sometimes [blushes] when just getting on the bike to start to ride.

I still have the cleats that came with the pedals, might be wise to at least try them out and see if there's any difference. Could rule out the pedals.

Wonder if the adjustment could be just loosening up.

EAT MORE GRIME
    maybe the cleat needs to re-align to your foot placement tendencies again
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Again? That's a thing?
    Remember, I'm new to all this. I just stuck them on, ensuring that they are in the same spot on the shoes

One Gear
    My left cleat has always been slightly outboard in relation to my right cleat. Cleat mounting is very personal to your feet and legs. Initial installation is a starting point. Your right cleat might be canted out a bit and sitting on the spring causing it to be preloaded. It would release more quickly than the other in that position. Try undoing the bolts and turning the cleat slightly to the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I strongly recommend against multi release cleats, for any purpose. They can be hazardous, releasing when you're relying on them most. Don't even use them on spin-bikes, maybe especially spin bikes.

SPD cleats are symmetric. There is no left/right. If you're experiencing left/right asymmetry, it may be the way the shoes are interfacing with the pedals. Check how the cleats are positioned on each shoe. Clip it in to the pedal by hand and look at how things are working.

Personally, I've never run into new SPD pedals that were wack, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
    Agree with this. Personally, if I wasnt going to employ standard cleats (as opposed to multi-release), then Id just switch to platform pedals. IMO the greatest strength of step-in pedals is their secure engagement between shoe & pedal. Multi-release cleats turn this engagement into a crap shoot.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I remember when everyone was recommending the multi release cleats. They defeat the entire purpose of clipless! One more for putting back on the standard cleat.

I still have to individually adjust the cleats. Mine dont appear to be in the same place on both shoes, but my feet certainly feel like they're even on the pedals. I set them so when I'm standing in attack position, neither pedal has spring tension and floats in the middle.

So throw out the multi release and install the normal ones, and then turn the tension way down. You'll find it holds securely in techy nasty stuff, but it unclips very easily when you stall out and try to flick your foot. It sounds like the std cleats will fix both of your issues.

mtbr member
    I'm one that does like multi-release cleats. But admittedly, I do tighten the pedal mech down pretty good. I never un-clip unexpectedly. It's just easier to get out in a pinch. Maybe it's psychological. But, if you do stick with multi release, use Shimano's. I did try a set of non Shimano brand multi release, and they absolutely sucked. I'd actually say the same for standard release cleats.

Ergon makes a SPD shoe alignment tool. I've never used one, but maybe it can help you. Anyone use this tool?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.