Notchy Rainier Gen 3 dropper.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Notchy Rainier Gen 3 dropper.

I just installed a 31.6 150 travel Rainier Gen 3 dropper and about an inch or so into the drop there is a rather distinct notch/stop in the travel. I have played with lubricating the stanchion but that didn't help any. If I completely loosen the post clamp it is not as noticeable but even with the minimum tightness on the seat tube clamp the post almost stops about an inch down and I have to put more pressure on it to get it the drop the rest of the way. It seems to return just fine.

I only weigh about 135lbs and this is going to be really annoying if I can't get it figured out.

Anyone have any similar issues or know what might be causing the problem? Does it have something to do with it being an adjustable travel dropper?

Thanks

Elitest thrill junkie
    Overtightened seat collar?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Overtightened seat collar?
    Quote Originally Posted by EKhatch View Post
    ...If I completely loosen the post clamp it is not as noticeable but even with the minimum tightness on the seat tube clamp the post almost stops about an inch down and I have to put more pressure on it to get it the drop the rest of the way. It seems to return just fine...
    Nope. I've tried it with the seat collar completely loosened. It may be getting slightly better after using it a bunch but it might also just be my mind wanting to not have any problems with it. lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Nope. I've tried it with the seat collar completely loosened. It may be getting slightly better after using it a bunch but it might also just be my mind wanting to not have any problems with it. lol
    Iíd reach out to the folks at PNW Components. Their customer service is fantastic - Iím sure they will get you squared away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Agreed. Their fantastic customer service was how I got the Rainier dropper over a Coast dropper I had bought but was having issues with. I wanted to ask here first to see if I could get it figured out over the weekend and if not I'll shoot them an email on Monday. Give them a few days break from hearing from me. lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Agreed. Their fantastic customer service was how I got the Rainier dropper over a Coast dropper I had bought but was having issues with. I wanted to ask here first to see if I could get it figured out over the weekend and if not I'll shoot them an email on Monday. Give them a few days break from hearing from me. lol
    Totally get it - Iíd do the same thing. I wonder if doing their servicing procedure would help. If you go under manuals on their website there are instructions for how to disassemble, clean and grease the seatpost. Might not help but it shouldnít hurt anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Good idea. I will do that and if nothing else at least it will kill some time since it's been raining here all weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    So I took it apart and everything looks fine. The post actually works perfectly when out of the bike. When putting it back in I noticed that if I sit on the very nose of the saddle it works smoothly. It must have something to do with the built in travel adjustment combined with the angle of force being applied when sitting on the saddle in the normal position (even with the saddle all the way forward). I sent PNW an email to see if they have any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Very interested to hear this outcome (pls, PNW, in time for Fatherís Day.) I was about to buy same one.

Other consideration I had was travel. Iíve always had 150mm, never felt need for more, but if 170, adjustable down to whatever, is an option, should I go with 170? Would it affect return speed to be at 170-reduced-to-150 vs 150-fully-extended?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have been in contact with PNW but unfortunately we haven't been able to figure out what the issue is. I am pretty confident it is a combination of the angle of the seat tube plus the mechanism used to be able to adjust the travel. Here is a video I sent PNW to try and better illustrate the problem. You can see when I push on the nose of the saddle the seat goes down smoothly through the entirety of the travel but when I push in the middle of the saddle there is a spot about an inch in to the travel where it hangs up slightly before continuing to go down. It is pretty subtle in the video but you can see it and it is pretty pronounced in feel.

As far as what travel to go with I would say if you have room there really isn't any reason not to go with the longer travel. Reducing the travel down doesn't have any effect on the return speed in my experience. However If I had the 170 I could effectively tune out the problem I am having because when I reduce the travel down to 130 on mine the problem goes away because that takes it past the point where it is hanging up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pycBB0Ad9fY

If I am not able to get this figured out I will probably see if PNW will let me exchange the post for the Bachelor and let me pay the difference because I don't really have a need for any adjustment and I am thinking that is part of the issue.