No upsweep 31.8 riser bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

No upsweep 31.8 riser bars?

i'm looking for a riser bar with no upsweep. slight backsweep is ok. i haven't found anything with only backsweep so far. i have a 26er that i bought from Dick's back in 2012, a Nishiki, and it came with stock riser bar that has no upsweep, just slight backsweep. i really like it as its super comfortable for me and it doesn't hurt my wrists. this 29er hardtail i recently bought, has the most uncomfortable handlebars i've ever used on a bike. i was thinking of swapping the handlebars, but the stem on the 29er is for 31.8mm bars, the 26er is a lot smaller.

looking for something with at least 40mm rise and something i can cut down to about 650-700 much appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I had a 3T riser on my last bike, this one is 31,8 without upsweep but with 30 mm rise. The cutting marks are almost at the bend so way below 650 mm. I don't think they make it anymore but maybe some online shops will have one in stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tuenni View Post
    I had a 3T riser on my last bike, this one is 31,8 without upsweep but with 30 mm rise. The cutting marks are almost at the bend so way below 650 mm. I don't think they make it anymore but maybe some online shops will have one in stock.
    yeah i found some old threads about 3T bars while doing some research. i couldn't find any for sale though, they had to have stopped making them. i'm surprised they don't make anything that doesn't have any upsweep. its super uncomfortable for me and hurts the hell out of my wrists.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Depending on the clamp width of the old bars you might be able to use a shim. Also, check out Seven Cycles. They do custom work for a good price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shortnangry View Post
    Depending on the clamp width of the old bars you might be able to use a shim. Also, check out Seven Cycles. They do custom work for a good price.
    Thanks, I looked at their stuff and it looks promising and the price isn't bad for custom, but I wanted to stay below $100, I'm not a pro.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Could you take some bars with minimal up-sweep and back-sweep and rotate them back to eliminate the up sweep?

A bar with 4 deg upsweep rotated back 4 deg will have no up-sweep.

The math to figure what that does to the back-sweep eludes me, but if the bar started with 7-8 deg back sweep, I think the increase would be minimal.

Or have you already tried this?

In reality, few people run their bars with the stated up-sweep and back-sweep. It is usually not even clear where to set the bars to get it.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    no, i haven't tried this because i haven't purchased any bars yet. i don't have a lot of local places here that have a huge variety of bars like they do online. so far, the bars with the rise i want have a backsweep of 8-10 degrees and upsweep between 5-6. i figured if i do rotate them, the backsweep would increase and i'm not sure how that would work for me (as i don't have actual physical samples of the bars). so i'm not even sure what to do at this point. i went to a Trek bike store nearby and they had some flat bars with minimal backsweep (not sure of degrees) but no upsweep, which actually would work i think. but then, since its not a riser bar, i guess i would just get a riser stem and just fix them up higher. that's another solution i think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just bought a Trek with handle bars I don't like, I wasn't a 15 degree back sweep with an 1 inch riser, I could sell you the old Trek straight bars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konoplya View Post
    no, i haven't tried this because i haven't purchased any bars yet. i don't have a lot of local places here that have a huge variety of bars like they do online. so far, the bars with the rise i want have a backsweep of 8-10 degrees and upsweep between 5-6. i figured if i do rotate them, the backsweep would increase and i'm not sure how that would work for me (as i don't have actual physical samples of the bars). so i'm not even sure what to do at this point. i went to a Trek bike store nearby and they had some flat bars with minimal backsweep (not sure of degrees) but no upsweep, which actually would work i think. but then, since its not a riser bar, i guess i would just get a riser stem and just fix them up higher. that's another solution i think.
    It is very possible that the bars you tried have more upsweep but were rotates back a little bit. If you find out the model bar, you can look at the sweep numbers, and looks for a bar with similar numbers and rotate it. It may well be a typical 7/5 or 8/4 back/up sweep..
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.