New Shimano XT M8000 SPD pedals won't clip in- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

New Shimano XT M8000 SPD pedals won't clip in

I just recently upgraded a couple bikes and decided to splurge and buy "nicer" pedals to go with them. Shimano XT PD M8000's.

We've been riding SPD's for years and have never had any problems till now! The new pedals are very difficult to clip in. Measuring the opening area where the shoe cleat (SH51) fits in, is roughly within +/- .005" on all the older pairs of m520, m530, m540's , but on the new 8000's the opening is .050" - .080" smaller, not allowing the chamfer on the pedal and shoe clip meet and work properly...

Is anyone else having similar issues?
    Have you found a solution?

mtbr member
    Maybe the cleat is too far in for the pedal to engage? There should be some shims that came with the pedals. You can use them to space the cleat further out.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Maybe the cleat is too far in for the pedal to engage? There should be some shims that came with the pedals. You can use them to space the cleat further out.
    The shoe works fine with the m540 pedals, a smooth, easy/nearly effortless clip-in. These pedals don't even let the sh51 clip press into, or open, the cam portion of the pedal.

For the shims to solve the problem the clip has to press into the pedal and just not engage due to the sole of the shoe hitting the contact part of the pedal. the shim will push the clip down 1mm to allow the cam to snap back into the closed position. This is a completely different issue, these pedals hit on top of the cam not on the bevel that wedges them open. You've got to step, and hard, on the right side before it drops in. Aaarrgh!

mtbr member
    Maybe check the tension that it's all the way loose? I've got the M785, M8020, and the M9100...with three different shoes. No issues with them. It could be an issue with the pedal itself. Does it happen with both pedals? Can you exchange it?

mtbr member
    I have a 2 year old pair of Shimano SH-ME7 shoes and they fit flawlessly with both the XT Trail and XTR Trail pedals, without shims. Maybe there's some sort of compatibility issue if you have older shoes?
    If so, I can highly recommend the shoes.

Is the problem with both sides of both pedals?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just an FYI update.

I was not hearing of anyone else having similar problems with their XT SPD pedals. None of the local shops I spoke with, or even Shimano customer service had heard of the problems I was experiencing. The LBS I visited to compare my pedals side by side with another new pair revealed a few slight but noticeable differences. Some of the colors were off slightly, stamped part details were not identical, and the opening dimension for the clip on the new LBS pedals matched exactly with all my older pedals. Now I believe the pedals I was having problems with were knockoffs and not produced by Shimano. They were returned to the seller, and my new m540's work perfectly.

Thanks to all for you feedback on this!

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1818 View Post
    Just an FYI update.

I was not hearing of anyone else having similar problems with their XT SPD pedals. None of the local shops I spoke with, or even Shimano customer service had heard of the problems I was experiencing. The LBS I visited to compare my pedals side by side with another new pair revealed a few slight but noticeable differences. Some of the colors were off slightly, stamped part details were not identical, and the opening dimension for the clip on the new LBS pedals matched exactly with all my older pedals. Now I believe the pedals I was having problems with were knockoffs and not produced by Shimano. They were returned to the seller, and my new m540's work perfectly.

Thanks to all for you feedback on this!
    Ebay?
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Ebay?
    How'd ya know...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1818 View Post
    How'd ya know...
    I just fell into the same trap with XT pedals. They really look real but if you look close enough things are a bit off. I couldn't click in also it was very hard.

I noticed on the outside the DEORE XT logo was crooked on one of them. Upon futher investigating, saw some other things.. LAME.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM