New Shimano Saint M828 flat pedals - has anyone tried them?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

New Shimano Saint M828 flat pedals - has anyone tried them?

Hi folks, this is my first post here . My new enduro rig is coming in about a month or so, and I am in search for new pedals. I am really into the new Shimano Saint M828 pedals, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm currently riding on Specialized Boomslangs but they have been used extensively for 2 years and despite the fact that they have been serviced, their time is running out. I like the grip though. That said, I am not willing to pay that price again. I would appreciate if anybody can comment the new Saints M828 experience. I can get them for about 80 euros.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    They are not new... But are good, if you don't worry much with the weight. I've used a number of pedals, and few of them resisted me as long as these Shimanos. More than a year without breaking an axle is remarkable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucc1 View Post
    Hi folks, this is my first post here . My new enduro rig is coming in about a month or so, and I am in search for new pedals. I am really into the new Shimano Saint M828 pedals, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm currently riding on Specialized Boomslangs but they have been used extensively for 2 years and despite the fact that they have been serviced, their time is running out. I like the grip though. That said, I am not willing to pay that price again. I would appreciate if anybody can comment the new Saints M828 experience. I can get them for about 80 euros.
    I looked at these a few weeks ago and the only downside that people kept pointing out to me is that the pins screw in from the top, which makes it harder to repair/remove if one gets damaged. I donít have any personal experience with them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    They are not new... But are good, if you don't worry much with the weight. I've used a number of pedals, and few of them resisted me as long as these Shimanos. More than a year without breaking an axle is remarkable.
    Yes I know they are among the heaviest, but with 477g per pair (claimed) I have only a minor, 43g weight penalty comparing to the Boomslangs. This does not bother me on an enduro bike, so I'm OK with that. I appreciate bombproof built pedals with quality bearings. The only thing I'm concerned about is the grip. Of course I would install longer 5mm pins straight out of the box. Could you please comment the grip, comparing to others you've ridden? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have only ridden these and the CB Stamp 3. They seem grippier than the latter, but it may be just because I started using the Shimanos with brand new 5-10s, that were worn when I bought the Stamps. So I guess the shoes you use will have a lot of influence here too. When my shoes were new, I felt they were too grippy, not allowing me to adjust foot position.

I use them with 3mm pins in the lines closer to the axle, and 5mm in all other places.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    I have only ridden these and the CB Stamp 3. They seem grippier than the latter, but it may be just because I started using the Shimanos with brand new 5-10s, that were worn when I bought the Stamps. So I guess the shoes you use will have a lot of influence here too. When my shoes were new, I felt they were too grippy, not allowing me to adjust foot position.

I use them with 3mm pins in the lines closer to the axle, and 5mm in all other places.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Good to hear that. Thanks for the info!