New Pedals- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Pedals

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

New Pedals

I want some grippier bigger pedals. I Currently have Race Face Chesters. I want something with a bigger platform. How are the Large Crankbrothers Stamps? Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I wear size 10US 510 and RC shoes and the thing with Stamp pedals I find is that the small sometimes feels just a hair too small and the the large is too large so that I cover all the pins with my shoe. The OneUp pedals look to be a better fit overall and I might give those a try if they ever go on sale.

That said, I do like my Stamp 3 pedals.

mtbr member
    Large Stamp 7's are my favorite pedal. I had the OneUp composite before but the convex shape made it feel like my foot had to be in a very specific spot and they would tend to roll under my foot. The Stamps fix both of those issues.

mtbr member
    I am using Issi Thump pedals. great shape and grip. not sure if they are big enough for you. if you have enormous feet, they might not be enough for you. Seems like Kona and OneUp pedals are among the biggest available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECP1989 View Post
    I want some grippier bigger pedals.
    Chesters are quite grippy. you can put longer pins in them. what shoes are you wearing? shoe/pedal grips is a two-way thing. the grippiest pedals on the planet will feel awful with the wrong shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Chesters, Stamp1 and OneUP composite pedals all have that raised axle feel under your feet. I ordered longer screws to see if they make a difference but they're on the slow boat from China.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    510 Free Riders

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Chesters, Stamp1 and OneUP composite pedals all have that raised axle feel under your feet. I ordered longer screws to see if they make a difference but they're on the slow boat from China.
    Longer screws on Stamp 1ís makes a massive difference. I swapped the stock 10mm for 12mm and it is night and day grippier.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

high pivot witchcraft
    I have RF Chesters, Kona Wah Wah 2s and a bunch of alloy pedals. The Wah Wah 2s are massive relative to the Chesters, provide a crapload of grip and seem to be the best pedal I have used in terms of not feeling like I have to constantly keep fiddling with my foot positioning to get centred. I really like the Wah Wah 2s. Zero downsides so far.

I was looking at the OneUps the other day at my LBS. I stand to be corrected but I believe they are smaller than the Wah Wah 2s.

PS - after 15 years of clipless, I made the move to flats last season. The Wah Wah 2s made the transition seamless.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I have recently been researching pedals myself. What I discovered is this... In the cheap nylon price range, comparable to race face, the largest sized pedal I found was the Deity Deftrap, followed by the OneUp and then the Stamp 1 (large). Chester's are considerably smaller.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    TMACs are awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

EDR
    I have one-up composite and Chesters.

Chester are grippier than my One-ups. One-ups are larger. I like the size of them for my size 10 shoes but lack of grip quickly put me back on the Chesters. If you have big feet try the Kona's. I've heard nothing but good things...if the size isn't out of whack for you.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I have one-up composite and Chesters.

Chester are grippier than my One-ups. One-ups are larger. I like the size of them for my size 10 shoes but lack of grip quickly put me back on the Chesters. If you have big feet try the Kona's. I've heard nothing but good things...if the size isn't out of whack for you.
    I actually have the exact opposite experience. Gave my Chester's to my son because they didnt hold my feet well enough. Got one up composite and stuck like glue. He says his shoes stick really well and hes a novice rider. So cant say they arent grippy.

Think this is very shoe dependent to be honest seeing my experiences and yours. I also wear size 12 so that may play a part.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I actually have the exact opposite experience. Gave my Chester's to my son because they didnt hold my feet well enough. Got one up composite and stuck like glue. He says his shoes stick really well and hes a novice rider. So cant say they arent grippy.

Think this is very shoe dependent to be honest seeing my experiences and yours. I also wear size 12 so that may play a part.

Totally agree that it might be shoe size dependent. And also what shoe you are using. For me I was using RC livewires on both pedals. I have a smaller foot than you so smaller pedal probably suits me better. Can't explain why the one-ups felt less grippy. They have more pins and they are bigger. Just my experience and my two cents.

they are both plenty grippy when standing with your weight on the pedals. Where I found my feet sliding around with the one-ups was on seated pedaling on the flats and uphill. I did find myself wishing the Chester's were slightly wider that's why I tried the one-ups. I think if the Chester's were 5 millimeters wider they would be about perfect for me.

Now that I've got a good solid 4 months or so on flats after 15 years or more of clipless I might give the one-ups another shot just to see if my initial impressions have changed.

RAKC
    Chester's I cant say are a bad pedal for sure. Just found it interesting someone tried the same 2 pedals with exactly opposite results. Chester's for my shoes (forget what brand, skater shoes from Zumiez) had to be in just the right spot or my feet would shift slightly. Get annoying on a techy climb when my feet would move slightly so I lost power. Always solid when it counted though. For normal spinning on flats and smooth climbs I'm so used to flats I can ride in sandals and be fine.

EDR
    Yeah there is no perfect pedal for everyone whether it's spd's or flats. From my experience all you can do is start with the highly recommended ones and experiment for yourself.

At least Chester's are cheap. Think I got mine on sale for $29. many other options are two to three times that price, even composite.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Chester's I cant say are a bad pedal for sure. Just found it interesting someone tried the same 2 pedals with exactly opposite results. Chester's for my shoes (forget what brand, skater shoes from Zumiez) had to be in just the right spot or my feet would shift slightly. Get annoying on a techy climb when my feet would move slightly so I lost power. Always solid when it counted though. For normal spinning on flats and smooth climbs I'm so used to flats I can ride in sandals and be fine.

I often ride in my Keen sandals with my Kona Wah Wah 2s. Zero issues. Good fun.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I often ride in my Keen sandals with my Kona Wah Wah 2s. Zero issues. Good fun.
    Certainly progressive.

mtbr member
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Iíve got 3 weeks under my belt with my new large Stamp 7s under my size 14 foot.

The lower profile, large platform is excellent and so is the grip using flat rubber soled shoes.

Really enjoy these (fairly expensive) pedals on all kinds of rides and expect the build quality will hold up as my other CB pedals have over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Size 12 510 rider here.

I tried a buddies RaceFace Chesters, and while I can appreciate that they are good pedals, I didn't get along with them at all. The platforms were too small for me.

I'm on a pair of Large Crank Brothers Stamp 3's now, and I like them very much. They are pretty thin, are wide enough to fully support my foot, and have traction for days with my 510's. If I needed, I could easily add longer pins, but I have no need for that.

But I also hear good things about the Oneup Composites, the Kona Wah Wahs, and the new Diety Deftrap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I ordered a pair of Chromag Dagga! Canít wait to try them.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Stamp 1ís with longer pins...

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Damn... those look like they can be painful if your foot should slip.

What size screws are those... asking for a friend...

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Damn... those look like they can be painful if your foot should slip.

What size screws are those... asking for a friend...
    That's the point - your foot is much less likely to slip with good traction.

Stock length screws are M3 x 10mm. These are 12mm. So just 2mm extra but makes a massive difference.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Awesome. I'll have to pickup some of those screws. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Good to see those after-market pins installed on a new set.

I just picked up my stamp 1's a few days ago, and will be installing them tomorrow when I get some grease. My first real 'mod', thanks to everyone for the comments and advice.