New Mountainbiker: Seat Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Mountainbiker: Seat Upgrade

After putting some miles on my Trance Advance 29 2, I am really wanting a more comfortable seat for long distance riding.

All of my riding is done on pavement so I never really need to take my arse off the seat.

With that being said, any recommendations on more comfortable seat for longer rides?

Btw, I do ride with a set of bike shorts and have adjusted the seat to an optimal riding position for me. However, after 45 minutes of riding, I find myself wanting to stand up for a few then sit back down.

Advice would be most appreciated!

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Try to test ride a flat saddle like the SQLab 611 ergowave.

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Unless someone here has the same exactly seat bones as you do, can't really recommend. Unfortunately, because everyone is different, either get a fit or it's pretty much trial and error.

mtbr member
    charge spoon comfort plus
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

Cycologist
    When I ride my road bike, I stand up to give my rear a rest quite often. Nothing wrong with "stand up for a few then sit back down".

Ride what you want but that is an odd choice for a pavement only bike.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    saddle fit depends on the rider's body. no one can recommend a saddle for you.

that said, I've never used a saddle that allows me to just sit and pedal for hours. even on a road bike, you have to stand up and let blood flow under your butt once in a while. if you want a saddle that allows you to just sit and sit and sit, you need a recumbent bike.

unrelated, but I'm curious about why you're riding such an aggressive long-travel trail bike for road riding. you probably have a good reason, but it's unusual.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies..

Regarding the weirdness of the long travel mountain bike for pavement, it comes down to a what the heck moment.

A buddy of mine has a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp that he rides around on our bumpy paved roads and I figured I would join him. The bike was most definitely a want rather than a need!

As far as a seat goes, I deiced to order a WTB Rocket 150mm seat to try out. The way I look at it, anything has to be more comfortable than the stock seat Giant supplied with the bike!

Lastly, if bikes were not so hard to get right now, I would have probably looked for something in the 100mm travel range. However, when the Trance became available, I jumped on it.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Seat size/shape is going to play a bigger role than "just getting a better seat". I rode my stock Giant Talon seat for a month to make sure I adjusted to riding a bike seat. But after a month and it not getting tons better (it did, but it still wasn't right) I grabbed a wider seat for $35 from my LBS. Thats all it took. One ride and I was way more comfortable.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The WTB Rocket is a saddle that fits a lot of riders. The WTB Pure V is slightly wider and was the most comfortable saddle I could find.

I rode a friends bike that had an Infinity Seat saddle and was hooked. The only saddle I have ever sat on that gets more comfortable the longer you sit on it. I'm glad it had a cover on it when I tried it because there is no way in hell I would have tried it because it looks positively uncomfortable and just wrong. I bit the bullet and bought one. I know four other people with this saddle and everyone loves it.
    I think they are way over priced but then again, I have chased the elusive saddle before and would buy another one. They know the value of their product.

As I have said, the WTB Pure V is my backup but its only a 35 mile saddle, then I want off.
    I do not know how well this saddle would hold up off road to heavy use. I still don't like the way it looks. The whole damned center is missing.

mtbr member
    Most comfy saddle I've ever used is the one that came on my Trek Full Stache...

Or maybe, it's just the plus tires!?

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"