New Cane Creek 40 Bearings Feel Rough- Mtbr.com
    Wanna ride bikes?

New Cane Creek 40 Bearings Feel Rough

It's a no brainer, with external headsets being much less common and ZS/IS headsets being so prevalent the CC 40 is my go-to headset. It's affordable, good quality, no frills, and gets the job done. Until recently.

The new bearings in the 40 are tight and notchy and feel like garbage. They changed the bearings from the "Black oxide" coating with a Blue seal to ZN40 bearings with a Zinc coating and a Green seal. They feel terrible.

Guess I'll have to upgrade to the Hellbender (which may be the whole idea) or look to Wolftooth or White Industries with an Enduro bearing as an alternative.

Just a bummer.

Edit: Perhaps with a little ride time they will loosen up? I'll report back once they're broken in but initial impression is not good.
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 06-12-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    they have replaced them with a zinc coating, while they feel rougher initially, it will smooth out over time and the coating will make them much more resistant to rust.

high pivot witchcraft
    I have a brand new one as of a few weeks ago. Feels awesome straight out of the box. And I am picky about this kind of thing. Plus I didnít even want it in the first place but couldnít get much else at the time. I am fine with it. It cost next to nothing and is performing well. So far, at least...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    I hope the bearings wear/settle in. The 40 is my "go-to" headset as well.

If the new generation 40 bearings turn out to be garbage, there's always the option of replacing them with aftermarket e.g.: Enduro or SKF bearings.

The Hellbender bearings are expensive, and one would need to keep a bike for a long time and/or ride it a lot, including in bad conditions for the business case to make sense to go with Hellbenders).

Also, from reading UK forums (Singletrack), when replacing e.g.: Hope hub bearings, they love the SKF bearings, rating them as much better than Enduro bearings. I'm pretty sure that SKF are more expensive than Enduro, but are WAY cheaper than Hellbender.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I just installed a 40 in my Ripley...felt a bit tighter than normal when first installed, but I did use a thicker grease. After 1 ride it's loosened up considerably and feels excellent.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Interesting. I know many bearings need to settle in when new, and will break in a little, I'm just surprised how the feel when new. I hope mine break in and feel better once they get some ride time.

(I changed the thread title as it may have been misleading, no long term testing yet)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I just got a set of these new green seal bearings as replacements for my 40 series. On initial inspection they look cheap and feel like absolute garbage. I'm debating on running them just to see what happens or return them and keep using the original black oxide blue seals that feel fine but probably need to be repacked.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Follow up, I'm returning this junk. The lower bearing is ridiculously notchy. The upper feels ok. This is beyond "run it and it will smooth out"

If I need replacements I guess I'll just buy some other quality aftermarket bearings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just get a 110 bottom. You can take it bike to bike

high pivot witchcraft
    Maybe mine is old stock. Blue seal, not green seal on mine.

Smooth as silk.

I spent a small fortune on my frame and was intending to tear it out once I could get a good replacement. I think I will leave it in. I have lots of mileage in now and have zero complaints. And it cost me next to nothing.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear