New bike from a box - Is this wire strand harmless?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

New bike from a box - Is this wire strand harmless?

I bought a new bike. It came in a box as none of the local bike shops have anything my size in stock. When I put the bike together I found this strand of wire around the cable that goes to the rear derailleur. It wraps around the cable and cannot be detached. It is not the same color as the cable. I rode the bike around the block and I could shift find without any issues. I want to leave it alone (not cutting it away) since it seems harmless. Any of you had this issue before? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike from a box - Is this wire strand harmless?-img_4075.jpg  

New bike from a box - Is this wire strand harmless?-img_4074.jpg  

mtbr member
    It looks like the cable is unraveling. It will probably be an issue, especially since it's right near the cable ferrule and housing, and if it needs to go into it.

Cables are cheap, so it's worth replacing it so it doesn't break while out on the trail.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    It looks like the cable is unraveling. It will probably be an issue, especially since it's right near the cable ferrule and housing, and if it needs to go into it.

Cables are cheap, so it's worth replacing it so it doesn't break while out on the trail.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Its a bike pube.
    No, actually looks like when it was put together they did not clamp all the strands into wherever that goes. It should work for now, but itll get more unraveled and prob start interfering with the movement of that cable. You should be able to get and replace just the inner cable. Tell where you ordered from and if they care they should send you a new one, itll cost more to ship than the part!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks! I'll inform the seller. A bit disappointed at their QA. This should not be missed on a new bike they put together.

EDR
    I can't see the pictures on my phone for some reason but I know what you're talking about. It's just one strand out of many. I would simply cut it short an inch or so and wrap it around the cable so it lays naturally. A dab of super glue (or solder even better) should keep it in place permanently.
    A