Mudguard on a bicycle fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Mudguard on a bicycle fork

I'm looking for not expensive mud flaps on my new bike. I want to attach the front to the fork. I had Topeak Defender xc1/xc11
    I want to buy them again, because itís expensive and I didnít really like the XC1 because of the appearance and therefore I want inexpensive 10-15 dollars for a mudguard, but at the same time effective. Iím going to ride vseravno on dry soils and asphalt, and therefore protection is just from dust and small stones. I want to put Zefal Deflactor PM30 on the plug, , but as a rear mudguard, tell me, please, a budget analog RRP ProGuard.
    Does anyone use a zefal m30 or similar, tell me how good a mudguard is.

RAKC
    Instead of the dirt bike look, buy the cheap flexible fenders. More universal fit, do the job well and cheap. Can even make them yourself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    This is what I use. Works with a Fox 36 and 34

https://www.syncros.com/global/en/pr...s-trail-fender

high pivot witchcraft

Mudguard on a bicycle fork

Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    This is what I use. Works with a Fox 36 and 34

https://www.syncros.com/global/en/pr...s-trail-fender
    Me too. I like it.

2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Dirty Old Man
    Have you considered frame protecting tape? I use this in critical areas of the frame to protect from rocks as well as heel rub and chain strikes.
    . . . . . . . .

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Have you considered frame protecting tape? I use this in critical areas of the frame to protect from rocks as well as heel rub and chain strikes.
    Me too.

On each of the two bikes above I installed a "tailored" Ride Wrap kit. Covers probably 95% of the frames.

The fenders are more for trying to keep mud off me and the stanchions.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponik78 View Post
    I'm looking for not expensive mud flaps on my new bike. I want to attach the front to the fork. I had Topeak Defender xc1/xc11
    I want to buy them again, because itís expensive and I didnít really like the XC1 because of the appearance and therefore I want inexpensive 10-15 dollars for a mudguard, but at the same time effective. Iím going to ride vseravno on dry soils and asphalt, and therefore protection is just from dust and small stones. I want to put Zefal Deflactor PM30 on the plug, , but as a rear mudguard, tell me, please, a budget analog RRP ProGuard.
    Does anyone use a zefal m30 or similar, tell me how good a mudguard is.
    I buy shelfliner material from hardware store and cut my own fenders. Cheap and you could make prob close to 10 of them depending on the size sheet you get. Protects mainly the stanchions, arch, crown. I did buy a commercial one last trip, its same idea made of thicker plastic.

mtbr member
    I like the way the Syncros looks and attaches. How well does it keep stuff off the stanchions, which is my main concern? It looks like it has notches where it goes past the stanchions rather than extend down the lowers like the flexible zip-tie fenders.
    What, me worry?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I like the way the Syncros looks and attaches. How well does it keep stuff off the stanchions, which is my main concern? It looks like it has notches where it goes past the stanchions rather than extend down the lowers like the flexible zip-tie fenders.
    I have a bunch of mud guards including the Syncros and some Mucky Nutz. Youíre right. That said, the Syncros still offers significant protection for my stanchions.

I actually despise the zip tie mudguards. Even the Mucky Nutz ones which come with re-usable Velcro.

If you have a Fox fork, to me the clear winner is the Syncros. But thatís me.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    It sounds like you are wanting protection from dust and kicked up rocks/stuff, rather than from actual mud?

If thats the case, then something small to keep stuff off of the seals for the front. And then the suggestion for downtube/chainstay protection kits/tape is a good idea.

For the rear, not all frames accept fenders super easily, so some scratches around the chainstay/seatstay are common from rocks stuck in the tread/etc. They aren't really a functional problem though.

Also, at some point no matter what you do, scratches are likely inevitable, as mountain biking is inherently something done around dust/stones/mud, and it is hard to protect "everywhere". So just prepair mentally for the fact that even if you take steps to protect against stuff, its still very possible to get scratches/nicks/etc.