MTB pedals on road bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

MTB pedals on road bike

could it possibly make sense to put mountain pedals and use 2 bolt shoes with a road bike

mtbr member
    why not? If you have shoes that can do double duty, go for it.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    well then i would have to buy a SPD pedal , thats why, its extra cost. my road bike pedal is SPD-SL 3 holes.

mtbr member
    Road bike pedals are great on road bikes, but not off them...as in walking around. MTB shoes with their recessed cleats are walkable. Lot of guys who tour or ride gravel like to be able to walk reasonably well in the cycling shoes when the need arises rather than be hobbled by road shoes/cleats, so use two-hole cleats, pedals, and appropriate shoes.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by finnstones View Post
    could it possibly make sense to put mountain pedals and use 2 bolt shoes with a road bike
    I no longer have my road bike, but I had SPD pedals and MTB shoes for the years I owned the bike. At least 4 years I think I had it, probably 6 or 7?

Evolutionsverlierer
    I do that since I only have one pair of riding shoes which are mtb ones.

mtbr member
    I tried the "clip-in" Look pedals two and a half decades ago. I gave them a good try for a couple of years. They didn't make me a better or faster cyclist. Eventually I quit riding for ten years or so, due to work and traffic. When I returned to pedaling, my newest bike had toe clips and straps, the format with which I had begun Cycling. It felt so effortless and natural. When I branched out to mtb riding, flat pedals were the natural progression, and all my mtbs run flats. I've met some competitive types who ride marathon endurance events, and they wouldn't ride anything else but clip-in shoes and pedals. You couldn't pay me enough to do that, on any bike. I live, I walk, I ride, I hike in walking/ hiking shoes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I use eggbeaters on my road bike. They work at least as well as most roadie pedals. I refuse to buy a pair of roadie shoes.

Music & Bikes
    Yep

I have Speedplay X1 on my road bike and put on my Frogs when I do multi-day road rides.

My girlfriend uses MTB pedal/shoes.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by finnstones View Post
    well then i would have to buy a SPD pedal , thats why, its extra cost. my road bike pedal is SPD-SL 3 holes.
    I think I have an extra set. If you pay shipping, they are $Free.99

Thicc Member
    Back when shoes weren't as good, the spd would cause hot spots for some people. All my mountain shoes are so stiff now I have no problem using spd on the road. I use the Giro VR90; it's pretty light, looks like a road shoe, has enough tread so I can walk confidently when grabbing a banana at the corner store in my spandex costume.

Cycologist
    I have mtb spds on all four of my road bikes while I've switched to flats on all my mountain bikes except my 26er SS. It was just easier being able to swap pedals around when I was running spds on my mtbs. On my CX, I usually wear my old spd cleated mountain bike shoes so that I can walk around, on my other road bikes I have road shoes with spd cleats.

I'm fine with the spds and don't see a need to buy three or four new sets of pedals to change to a more road oriented system.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.