More comfortable saddle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

More comfortable saddle?

Sorry this questions probably been asked a million times. I have a giant Trance 2 2014. I know your ass gets used to the seat the more you ride, but I went on a 2 hour ride the other day and my ass was so sore I couldn't even sit on the seat towards the end of the ride. I'm 35 years old so no spring chicken. The giant came with a 'Giant contact upright'. I like the shape of it, but just want something with more padding, and perhaps a bit longer at the back. Don't care what it costs, I would pay hundreds of dollars not to experience that agony again.

I've have had the bike for 6 years and used to ride it a lot, without a problem but haven't ridden in a couple of years now. I am a bit more old and frail compared to before

I am a man, 183cm, slim and I was feeling pain equally on my ass bones and the spot between my ballsack and anus. I just ride for exercise, and would ride for maybe 2 hours max. I do like to push it though.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Look into a WTB Rocket.. DNA foam or Gel. https://www.wtb.com/products/rocket
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Went through a lot of saddles before ending up with SQLabs. Took weight off of the sensitive goods and support sit bones really well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions, may I ask which SQ Labs saddle you went for? Also, trying to measure my seat bone width, I got 123cm. Do you think that sounds about right for a tall slim bloke (184cm/6ft1) 80kg body weight?

What width saddle does that equate to?

Thanks again for your advice.
    Last edited by robert297; 04-28-2020 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Almost = Didn't

EAT MORE GRIME
    padding doesn't always translate to long term saddle comfort...sometimes the opposite

most comfortable saddle I ever used was a carbon fiber sheet type. super hard but super comfortable...they just tend to destruct when you take a digger so I can't afford to have 20 of them laying around for when I wreck one in a crash

I use selle italia flite road bike saddles on all my bikes, works for me.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    WTB saddles have a reasonable amount of padding. Ive always had some version of the rocket, but my current one is a pivot branded Vigo. Very good saddles

And if you think you are old at 35.....you might be in the wrong place...

All fat, all the time.
    If you haven't been riding in a while, it takes some shorter rides to get your ass used to it again. (Lol)
    That said, seats can get hard sitting in a garage for 6 years.

And finally, some shops have a seat fitting"tool" to help get you on the right one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Your sit bone measurement seems reasonable. Did you do the cardboard/chalk method? You would add 20-25mm to that to get a general idea of saddle width. Saddle fit is very personal though. What works for me probably won't help you. It's strange that the saddle used to be fine. Perhaps it will get better as you get back into riding shape. I know it takes me some time after a long winter.

I personally don't like heavily padded saddles, I do wear padded shorts though. They make a big difference and have become more necessary with age.

If you decide to try a new saddle call your LBS. My local Specialized shop lets you try them and then swap it out if it doesn't work for you. I don't know if that is specific to the shop or Specialized. Worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    As others noted, fit your butt, all the gel and padding in the world will not help if your bones are not bearing the weight properly. If the seat is the wrong length and thickness, you will get chaffing, or just not be comfortable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by robert297 View Post
    I am a man, 183cm, slim and I was feeling pain equally on my ass bones and the spot between my ballsack and anus. I just ride for exercise, and would ride for maybe 2 hours max. I do like to push it though.
    Um, if you have a ballsack, we're pretty sure you're a man. No need to expound. But I guess you never know these days *cough* Bruce Jenner *cough*
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    I find Charge Cooker saddles to fit well with my sit bones.

If I were you I'd go into an LBS w/ a large variety of bikes and make out you're looking for a new whip (N+1)

Have a good sit down on several bikes, they might even let you pedal around the carpark.

Make note of the seat you like and order one online.

NB, if you're real hunglow - you could ask 'can I just take the seat? '

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by targnik; 05-19-2020 at 07:32 PM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"