Modern Gravity Dropper? (simple, reliable mechanical post)- Mtbr.com
    mbtr member

Modern Gravity Dropper? (simple, reliable mechanical post)

I want a super simple dropper post. Fully mechanical, user serviceable with normal tools, very reliable. I don't care about refinement, how it looks, how it actuates, if it has has rotational slop, how many stops it has... don't care.

I'd buy another GD if they made a 150mm post. It looks like the trs+ is the closest thing, but reviews are mixed.

Post is going on a new 'freeride adventure bike' build- bike's purpose is to go travel on MTB vacations and i can't expect to have access to a shop, so if the post takes a dump it's a huge problem.

No budget, but i don't give a crap about bling or fashion.

Thanks guys!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    If you get one of the Wintek cartridge droppers then you just need a spare cartridge [cheap] and a spare cable to be able to handle pretty much anything. I guess if you want to be really covered a spare lever as well.

Pack a Wolftooth Valais or something similar as your 3rd line of defence so you can still ride no matter what.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Specialized's Command Post is fully mechanical and easily serviceable.
    Do the math.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you get one of the Wintek cartridge droppers then you just need a spare cartridge [cheap] and a spare cable to be able to handle pretty much anything. I guess if you want to be really covered a spare lever as well.

Pack a Wolftooth Valais or something similar as your 3rd line of defense so you can still ride no matter what.
    The wintek droppers are pretty appealing. It's kinda dumb and lame to lug around a replacement cartridge 'just in case,' but i appreciate well-executed complexity and an easy rehab. And i've used them and they're nice. It just feels like added nonsense.

Suggesting the Valais makes me want to forget the whole deal and just get another gravity dropper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Specialized's Command Post is fully mechanical and easily serviceable.
    I was working a bit as a mech at a speshy shop. No thanks! Air spring is dumb. They leak eventually, and a rebuild is more than i'd want to do in the field. Maybe they're better now; are they still using the main tubes to hold the air pressure?

I appreciate the comments! There's so many droppers now, i can't keep abreast of them.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    The wintek droppers are pretty appealing. It's kinda dumb and lame to lug around a replacement cartridge 'just in case,' but i appreciate well-executed complexity and an easy rehab. And i've used them and they're nice. It just feels like added nonsense.

Suggesting the Valais makes me want to forget the whole deal and just get another gravity dropper.
    Well I've done a lot of travelling with my dropper equipped bikes over the last 10 years and never had a failure so it's arguable whether carrying a spare cartridge or a Valais is needed.

I'm running 9.8 droppers and they are user rebuildable with a few tools. It's main failure mode doesn't stop you from manually adjust seat height so you can keep riding albeit less efficiently. I have not had any failures requiring rebuilding, but it's good to know I can service it in camp or a motel room.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    ...I was working a bit as a mech at a speshy shop. No thanks! Air spring is dumb. They leak eventually, and a rebuild is more than i'd want to do in the field. Maybe they're better now; are they still using the main tubes to hold the air pressure?...
    I believe so. If it's leaked all the air pressure you can pull it up and the collet will still lock in the detents, no? If that's the case, it'll will still hold the saddle up and drop. You just need to pull it up.
    Do the math.