KS Lev Easy Lube?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

KS Lev Easy Lube?

Hi guys,

Hopefully looking for a quick/easy fix to my KS Lev not returning intermittently.

I believe the problem is the silver collar providing extra stiction in the picture below. The post moves smoothly when the collar is not seated to the bottom part of the post. The collar does not move smoothly up and down the post when I move it by hand.

I only ride intermittently, so the post may just need cycling a little, but if there is an easy solution, that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

KS Lev Easy Lube?-lev.jpg

mtbr member
    First I would put some lube on there, reassemble, and try again. The recommended lube for the KS Lev is Slickoleum or Buzzy's Slick Honey (same thing). Do not use general bike grease. Push some Slicko into the top of the outer black mast to get fresh lube into the one way bearing rollers, then some lube on the stanchion below the DU bushing (the "silver collar"), then push the DU bushing down into position. Lastly I would put a generous amount of lube under the seal collar then screw it back on. As you are screwing the collar on, the excess lube under it will get hydro locked and you won't be able to turn it anymore. Cycling the post up and down once or twice will push some lube down into the DU busing and relieve the pressure. Continue screwing on the collar and cycling the post as needed till the collar is fully tightened.

If this does not fix your problem, you should perform basic service as per KS recommendation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mjbgbWR_g4). All dropper posts will seize up eventually if not serviced regularly. You could have contaminants further down in the post interfering with the copper guide bushings and creating misalignment between the guide channels, the one way bearing and the DU bushing.

If you want more help I suggest you post on this thread instead, and also browse it for loads of more advice on how to keep your KS Lev running smoothly: https://forums.mtbr.com/components/k...ld-899659.html

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks vicrider222. Will give it a go when I get a chance and report back.

Update: Just lubed up the stanchion as instructed (no rebuild) by vicrider222, now works flawlessly. Thanks again.
    Last edited by newcasio; 04-26-2019 at 05:21 PM.