High quality headset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

High quality headset?

What is a high quality headset brand?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    chris king ffs
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Cane creek 40 series. Anything more expensive is pointless. Unless the point is wasting $.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Cane creek 40 series. Anything more expensive is pointless. Unless the point is wasting $.
    But matchy matchy the colors!
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    There is entirely too much emphasis placed on headsets. Even the cheapest one on the market is 1000x stronger than what is necessary to turn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    There is entirely too much emphasis placed on headsets. Even the cheapest one on the market is 1000x stronger than what is necessary to turn.
    There are things beyond strength. I have a grudge against the headset that came with my bike. Although it is strong enough, it is open, leaving an open path to dirt to get into the bearing. Repalced the cups by sealed ones, but these creak a lot, so I put the open ones back until I figure out a good solution.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    they are all the same quality, its just a stupid headset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Agreed that more is mostly pointless, but bling is never a waste if you have the extra cash.

CK and CC110 for the most bling.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    they are all the same quality, its just a stupid headset
    I get the feeling you have no idea how a headset bearing system works and what forces are applied to it...what the heck am I saying? Of course you don't.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    I get the feeling you have no idea how a headset bearing system works and what forces are applied to it...what the heck am I saying? Of course you don't.
    Give me a break, the cheap $15 Cane Creek headsets are just as good as the $100 ones. Headsets are up there with titanium bolts for pointless upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cane creeks really aren't that impressive. Bearings go to shart if you don't pop the seals & grease the bearings.

Honestly I've had better luck with open bearing headsets. Bigger bearings & easier to clean. Bought a used Kona with a super nasty cheap FSA open bearing headset. Though it was dead but went the cheap route, cleaned/regreased with waterproof grease. No complaints after 3 years of nastiness.

Otherwise can't go wrong with a Chris King, even if it's used it'll last 5x longer than a Cane Creek.

I've ridden many Chris Kings headsets over the years. Every half decade I will pop off the seals and regrease. They are normally still clean and smooth.

My last experience with Cane Creek was with a 100 series headset I installed on my fair weather bike. It's seen rain perhaps a handful of times, never a hose. Anywho had a nasty creak & after excluding any other causes I decided to pop out the headset bearings. The upper was ok, but I cleaned and regreased. The lower was BROWN on the inside with rust contaminated grease. Not impressed after seeing hardlyany rainy rides, no hose treatment and stored in my heated office. It did run good after a proper cleaning & I made sure to top it off with water proof grease. But still, no comparing a cane creek to a Chris King regardless of price.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Yeah. Cartridge bearings have seals. Just grease liberally at installation. Some headset caps and crown races have rubber lips that rest against the head tube and help exclude contaminants. These can be beneficial and perhaps the only justification, IMO, for more expensive headsets.

If you direct a forceful stream of water at the headset, all bets are off. I've seen many of bad headsets that had little or no grease left and were corroded.
    Do the math.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Picard is winning the internet right now.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Cane creeks really aren't that impressive. Bearings go to shart if you don't pop the seals & grease the bearings.

Honestly I've had better luck with open bearing headsets. Bigger bearings & easier to clean. Bought a used Kona with a super nasty cheap FSA open bearing headset. Though it was dead but went the cheap route, cleaned/regreased with waterproof grease. No complaints after 3 years of nastiness.

Otherwise can't go wrong with a Chris King, even if it's used it'll last 5x longer than a Cane Creek.

I've ridden many Chris Kings headsets over the years. Every half decade I will pop off the seals and regrease. They are normally still clean and smooth.

My last experience with Cane Creek was with a 100 series headset I installed on my fair weather bike. It's seen rain perhaps a handful of times, never a hose. Anywho had a nasty creak & after excluding any other causes I decided to pop out the headset bearings. The upper was ok, but I cleaned and regreased. The lower was BROWN on the inside with rust contaminated grease. Not impressed after seeing hardlyany rainy rides, no hose treatment and stored in my heated office. It did run good after a proper cleaning & I made sure to top it off with water proof grease. But still, no comparing a cane creek to a Chris King regardless of price.
    You are saying Chris King last longer? Right?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I've grenaded a cheap Ritchey headset quicker than a two hour drive.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    What is a high quality headset brand?
    VP, Neco.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    apparently some people STILL haven't learned to never answer a Picard question with a serious answer

mtbr member
    Once my cane creek 40 went to crap I tried enduro fork seals replacement bearings. It’s been as long as I’ve owned the 40 and still going strong. Highly recommend after installing a cheap set, utilizing the same race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Once my cane creek 40 went to crap I tried enduro fork seals replacement bearings. It’s been as long as I’ve owned the 40 and still going strong. Highly recommend after installing a cheap set, utilizing the same race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ugh, Cane Creak 40s are the bane of my existence. I exaggerate, only a bit. Came OEM on my Yetis, first one failed and became a rusty mess in not much time, at which point you cant get it adjusted well. Replaced with “Enduro” bearings, which arent all that great, they got a cool name. Those also quickly rusted. Replaced with Hopes. Set once, no further adjustment needed years later. Wanted to transfer to my new bike, but Yeti changed to full integrated.
    My 27 year old bike has Chris King quill stem headset since day one, its still on original bearings. Used until just recently for commuting too, which can be pretty hard on bearings as its constant miles rain or shine.