help with new cleats- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

help with new cleats

3questions. THANKS IF YOU CAN ANSWER DYING TO GET OUT ON MY NEW BIKE THIS WEEKEND.

1) #12 what is that diagram telling me about up and down 5.5mm? the instructions dont make sense to me, "mark on side of cleat corresponds to positon of pedal shaft when cleat is engaged. the market must be located under artiuclation point of the inner metalarsal. loosen the 3 M5 srwes and turn cleat rigt or left to the agular position, then tighten to the torque recommended above". i think i need to cleat in then adjust something, but i really am super lost on this all.

2) #14 it says factory setting is at its lowest tension . does this mean more float? thats what i want

3) this is a SCOTT BOA road cleat. i dont understand the scale of the 2..8 settings. what is "2" and what is "8"

photos below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with new cleats-photo-may-30-2-37-05-pm.jpg  

help with new cleats-photo-may-30-2-32-36-pm-1-.jpg  

help with new cleats-photo-may-30-2-32-24-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    1.) This is just basically telling you that there is adjustment to the cleat that can be done. The point of this is to ensure you can adjust the cleats for the right pressure point.

You can find the discussion and way more detail about the "bone" mentioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2BXOkM-wHs

2.) judging by the image, it looks like this is adjustment for how easy the cleats are to "lock/unlock". 3 will make it a really tight fit, but it will also make it difficult to unlock. 1 will make it an easy lock but really easy unlock.

3.) I just got BOA shoes today. On shimano cleats. Just ignore the this honestly, you will really need to get a feel for this from the youtube video above. When i started riding today, my left foot just had too much stress on it. So I knew it needed some adjustments. I say ignore it because i really am not sure what it is, other than a suggested numerical scale. I think this might be where people "mark" where their cleats should be once they get them right, so you know in the future. that youtube video, they talk about marking the right fit with a pencil.

Good luck ! I fell off the bike twice today lol. Have to adjust the cleats

mtbr member
    May 2020
    thanks istishu. very helpful. ouch! how did you fall? so i just went out and did it, first cleatless experience and loved it, super easy to get out when i want, although it feels like more work on my muscles prob just means i was not biking correctly on flats. i nailed 15 miles and felt perfect and loved the float. didnt crash until coming back into the house and completely forgot i was cleatless...nailed the hedge row and we are both ok.

mtbr member
    nice ! Happy it experience went well for you. with no crash. It did give me a great work out. And my local bike shop told me to practice 50 times before going out at home. I did about 20 and felt comfortable.

I honestly did some really stupid things. first i did a quick turn right before i went down a trial. I was making body movements that you do normally with pedals.
    The second time. Was litterally in the grass with one foot still locked in and lost my balance trying to adjust the seat and just went down.

Funny because the bicycle shop employee said "you dont want to be one of those people who just fall over on youtube". Thankfully no one got the shot