Help with dropper post...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

New question here. Help with dropper post...

Hey,

Im doing research on dropper posts and trying to find out the best one for me and my bike. I have never had a dropper post before so want to get it right first time.

The bike i have is a Specialized Rock Hopper 29er 2016.

I like the look of the X-Fusion Manic and would like the 150mm drop.

Now im not sure if this dropper can be put onto this bike because its an internal routed cable type. Don't really want to drill holes.

Any help would be great

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyTrails View Post

Now im not sure if this dropper can be put onto this bike because its an internal routed cable type. Don't really want to drill holes.
    You need an externally routed post in the same seat post diameter as the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    And you absolutely won't want to drill holes on your frame. These would eventually crack and ruin your frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Ok thanks. I have seen the RockShox reverb.

Are these a good dropper?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    There are a number of topics about droppers. I suggest taking a look.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I did have a search and they don’t seem very reliable according to mtbr reviews and numerous other threads on the dropper.

Reviews on chain reaction and other cycling stores rate it very highly.

That’s why I asked.

May need to look at other droppers.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Don't get a reverb. There are entire forums on here advising people not to go with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have been running a reverb b1 (albeit stealth) for 3 seasons and bought it used (2 seasons). works fine. Only dropper I've ever used so nothing to compare to
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    I have been running a reverb b1 (albeit stealth) for 3 seasons and bought it used (2 seasons). works fine. Only dropper I've ever used so nothing to compare to
    My bike came stock with one, and haven't been able to get it to work properly. It got stuck down during a ride, I brought it home and bled it out, and took it out for another ride only to have it fail after about 5 uses, 5 miles back in the woods. Rebled it at home, and same thing happened to me...3 more times. Any advice or personal experience of this happening?

mtbr member
    All dropper posts are relatively unreliable compared to just about any other part of the bike.

There is little to no correlation between cost and reliability.

With the above in mind, the main consideration with a dropper is how easy it is to fix when it inevitably goes kabluey. Can you fix it yourself or does it need special tools? Can your local shop fix it? How easy is it to get parts and are they expensive?

Damage limitation is the name of the game with droppers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for all the imput guys.

I've looked at the Brand-X accend 2 and for the price (£99.99) seems like a good dropper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Brand-X on sale now and $20 off $100. And $10 off new users. Not sure if you can combine them all but it does make it attractive. The only thing holding me back from getting one is that it is not serviceable. So basically you have 2 years of use (under warranty replacement) then disposable. Unless they can be serviced by other manufacturers' parts?

I'm thinking about picking up a Giant dropper as it comes with a 2x lever, serviceable, priced about the same as a Brand-X (after shipping to Canada and a 3rd party 2x lever) and there is a Giant showroom store near my work.

Anyone riding one of the newer Giant droppers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I ordered the Brand-X Ascend II. Its got a good review and at that price i could'nt not get it. I might upgrade the lever to a better one as i've read many reviews saying its not that good.

I went for the 150mm drop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyTrails View Post
    I ordered the Brand-X Ascend II. Its got a good review and at that price i could'nt not get it. I might upgrade the lever to a better one as i've read many reviews saying its not that good.

I went for the 150mm drop.
    Congrats! Looking forward to what your thoughts on it are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Good job!

I installed my Brand-X Ascend ll dropper post over the weekend. Very nice bit of kit, looks well made. Took about 30 minutes to fit, pretty straight forward. Nice smooth action when the lever is pressed. I had to install the lever facing upwards just to get it on due to my gear levers. Taking it out on the trail wednesday for it first outing.