Headset Issues Help!- Mtbr.com
    Wally on Wheels

Headset Issues Help!

I don't know what I did to upset it but for some reason my headset is crying Went for a ride around my local earlier and a load of grease started weeping out through the gap in the crown race. At first I assumed I'd put too much in there since this was the first ride since I cleaned it out and gave it a refresh so it was maybe overflowing a bit but it just kept coming! Have I used the wrong type of grease or something? The preload of the headset was right (monitored it throughout the ride) and I don't power wash the bike, only spray with a hose. Plus it hasn't been washed since I put the headset back in as this was the first ride. FYI its the Park Tool High Performance Grease HPG-1 and a Hope Integrated Headset. Also when the grease was coming out it was a much lighter shade of blue as it was when it went in, is this normal too? It still feels smooth to turn but I think towards the end of the ride there may have been some creaking (possible I was hearing things since I was looking out for it). Cheers for any thoughts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headset Issues Help!-screenshot-2019-09-08-1.22.10-am.png  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    How much grease did you put into your headset?

Does your headset use sealed cartridge bearings or open bearings?

Wally on Wheels
    Sealed cartridge bearings, I was pretty liberal with the grease but no more than I have been in the past and I've never had this issue before. It is the first time of using this specific grease though

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Could be the extra grease migrating from the top race area down the stem and the extra from the bottom race too before oozing out. Does your crown race have a dust seal built in? I'd guess it would eventually stop once all the surplus leaks out.

I don't use the Park grease so not sure how viscous it is. I generally use either lithium or Lucas Red'n Tacky 2 which stays put, 'cept on warm days if the bike goes unused when I'll get a light trickle of separation oil.

Wally on Wheels
    Yeah it has the seal built in, like you say hopefully it is just excess. I'll ride it again as is tomorrow and keep checking on it, praying I wont get stranded out in the middle of nowhere!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    If you have fully sealed bearings, I wouldn't worry. Clean it off just so you don't accidentally get it on your rotors.

Wally on Wheels
    Few, ok thanks for putting my mind at ease! Luckily I've got a mud gaurd on, it all ended up dripping on there instead! My rotors would have most likely been buggered if I hadn't had that