Handling question: No spacers with high rise bars vs Spacers with lower rise bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Handling question: No spacers with high rise bars vs Spacers with lower rise bars?

Reach aside that I understand is shortened when using stem spacers, is there any difference in handling when using:

1: No spacers with a 35mm rise bar
    2. 15mm spacers with 20mm rise bar

Curious if scenario 1 would be better for cornering or if it would be the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers2648 View Post
    Reach aside that I understand is shortened when using stem spacers, is there any difference in handling when using:

It depends on YOU. Weight over the front end will change a little with changing bar height.

It's something you'll have to experiment with to see if cornering is better for you.

My bike (used) came with a higher bar than stock. After riding the bike for a year, on a whim, I lowered the bars by a 5mm spacer assuming it would be similar to what it would have ridding like in stock form.

It felt so different that I stopped on the trail to swap the spacer position back to what I was used to.

Good luck.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers2648 View Post

Only difference here is that you can change hand position fore/aft by rotating the bar, and with a higher rise bar, you can get more movement with less rotation of the bar. It's impossible to say at this point if they will be the same or not, because due to the differences in fore/aft adjustment allowed by the higher rise bar, and that we don't know what fits you best, we cannot know.

mtbr member
    Where the hands are with respect to the top of the headtube (fore/aft, left/right, up down) is what affects handling and fit. The combination of spacers, stem, and bars that gets you there is fundamentally irrelevant.
    Do the math.