Handlebars... Did you upgrade and notice a difference???- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Handlebars... Did you upgrade and notice a difference???

Looking at possibly upgrading my current handlebars on my 2019 GG The Smash. Stock it comes with a set of 35 diameter Chesters, 20mm rise I believe, that are 780mm wide.

This is all normal for me however on my right hand I have noticed that I have thumb, wrist and palm pain, more in the joint/bones on the outside of my wrist than anything. My old bars that I ran on my last trail bike were a pair of the older Deity Blacklabel bars that were 780mm wide but were a 31.8 diameter bar.

When upgrading from the 31.8 to 35 diameter bars did you notice a difference? Some internet reading shows that 35s really aren't needed and have people saying they feel less compliant than the 31.8 bars, causing some wrist, hand, shoulder issues. Been riding this bike for a number of months now and really this is the last tweak out of anything that I feel like needs to be done. Since the Chester are kinda the entry level AM type bars I was thinking of jumping to something like a Renthal Fatbar or one of the newer Deity bars but before I spend the money I just wasn't sure if there is something else I should be looking at?

damned rocks...
    When getting my Sentinel I installed some 35mm RaceFace , aluminum, with 20mm rise.
    And they were to much stiff, my wrists and arms were hurting at the end of each ride. Probably due to too much rattle on the rock gardens.
    I replaced them with an old 31.8mm aluminum handlebar I had in the old parts box and no more wrist or arm pain.
    Eventually I got a 31.8mm Answer Protaper, carbon and with 1/2" rise. The carbon handlebars are even more comfortable.
    I am sold to carbon handlebars, and I will never install 35mm handlebars ever again.

mtbr member
    Over the years I've used a variety of different aluminum and carbons bars, both road and mtb. I have carbon on one mtb now and al on the other. The carbon bars are a distinct improvement in cachet and bling. I noticed no other repeatable distinction.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Looking at possibly upgrading my current handlebars on my 2019 GG The Smash. Stock it comes with a set of 35 diameter Chesters, 20mm rise I believe, that are 780mm wide.

This is all normal for me however on my right hand I have noticed that I have thumb, wrist and palm pain, more in the joint/bones on the outside of my wrist than anything. My old bars that I ran on my last trail bike were a pair of the older Deity Blacklabel bars that were 780mm wide but were a 31.8 diameter bar.

When upgrading from the 31.8 to 35 diameter bars did you notice a difference? Some internet reading shows that 35s really aren't needed and have people saying they feel less compliant than the 31.8 bars, causing some wrist, hand, shoulder issues. Been riding this bike for a number of months now and really this is the last tweak out of anything that I feel like needs to be done. Since the Chester are kinda the entry level AM type bars I was thinking of jumping to something like a Renthal Fatbar or one of the newer Deity bars but before I spend the money I just wasn't sure if there is something else I should be looking at?
    The Chester bars will be 6061 Aluminum. This is a relatively weak and cheap aluminum bar (hence why it was stock on your build). Because it is a weak grade of material it needs to be thick and heavy (400g) in order to be strong enough. Since all grades of aluminum have very similar stiffness for a given geometry the fact that it is thick also makes it very very stiff.

You would see an improvement going to a high grade Aluminum bar and a huge improvement going to a Carbon bar like ours.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/coll...cts/carbon-bar

Even among Carbon bars ours compliance shines because of the patent pending oval profile.

It would also shave 175g off your build.

I am of course biased...

Jon @ OneUp

always licking the glass
    I hate 35mm bars. Theyíre too harsh feeling on any bike Iíve had.

Iíve gone through so many bars this year to find the right one.

For compliant AL bars I love the PNW components bars. I run them on all my bikes (the pedalhead is the last to get them), but it makes a huge difference. 10 degree sweep.

My husband runs Spank vibracore, which are nice but the 8 degree sweep doesnít feel good on my wrists.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

Short-Change-Hero
    So the question becomes... do I purchase a better (looking at Renthal Fatbar 35) 35mm diameter bar or sacrifice bars and stem for 31.8 stuff???

mbtr member
    So the question becomes... do I purchase a better (looking at Renthal Fatbar 35) 35mm diameter bar or sacrifice bars and stem for 31.8 stuff???
    I can't speak to the 35mm thing beyond that it's inherently stiffer. A 35mm bar may be more comfortable (?) but it's due to ingenuity more than inherent qualities.

So far, from my experience, a compliant alu bar is nominally worse than the best carbon bars. In 31.8, at least. 35 is difficult to take seriously.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I only had one experience with 35mm bars and that was with a Race Face SixC. The joints in between my knuckles were hurting after a ride. I'm running 31.8 Enve bars on my bikes for a while now.

mtbr member
    I only had one experience with 35mm bars and that was with a Race Face SixC. The joints in between my knuckles were hurting after a ride. I'm running 31.8 Enve bars on my bikes for a while now.

Co Springs
    Placebo rambling alert-

I have a trail bike that came with a "Mini-Riser, 6061 Double Butted Aluminum, 15mm rise, 780mm width, 4ļ up, 9ļ back"
    It was my first ride going to wider bars and felt fine. I did soon realize the trails and woods have a lot to say about navigating with wide bars but it wasn't a big concern or priority.
    Then one day, I seen a blow-out price (yeah right!) on a carbon bar I'll call "china graphics". I was going to put it on my 91 HardRock just because and besides, it was $40. The Specialized had a very dated and narrow bar that was comical looking by todays standards but I got the bar and decided to put it on my Pine One.
    Now, I'm enjoying the woodsy hallways more with my less-than-780 mm dimensions, my palm rest grips and I'm sure (it's all in my head) there is less energy transfer through the bars on the cf even though they are cheapies.

They had some ugly white graphics on the bar I didn't care for so I used black electrical tape (about 3.5 lbs worth) to cover up a few odd shapes and designs.
    I really think even for $40, I'm getting a bit of cf comfort but maybe it's hooey.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    For what it's worth we tested the best Carbon Bars in 35 and 31.8mm. Typically 31.8mm was slightly better compared with it's 35mm version but our 35mm bar with oval transition blew everything away.

Handlebars... Did you upgrade and notice a difference???-one-up-handlebar-vertical-compliance-comparison-chart.jpg

Jon @ OneUp

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
    For what it's worth we tested the best Carbon Bars in 35 and 31.8mm. Typically 31.8mm was slightly better compared with it's 35mm version but our 35mm bar with oval transition blew everything away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one-up-handlebar-vertical-compliance-comparison-chart.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	1284329

Jon @ OneUp
    Thanks for the info Jon. Much appreciated.. For your graphic there, that is just carbon bars correct? There are no aluminum bars in there for cross material comparison?

Always hate purchasing bars because I feel it is one of those things like saddles, very personal preference based items so normally you end up with a stock of items that "didn't work" but you really were outside the return policy (be it the mounting or amount of time ridden on them to find if you truly liked them). I already have like 4 sets of narrow 31.8 bars from my XC racing days that were on my old steel hardtail. Got a set of barely used wheels sitting up in the rafters (142x12 and 20mm front) that haven't been touched in years (just didn't like the feel of them and changed forks) along with the other plethora of parts that are scattered about.
    Hence, why I am asking the questions instead of just going out and buying. Anyways, I got to do some more research on this stuff to see what bars I may go with. I have used PNWs stuff in the past and their customer service and stuff has always been top notch, so thanks for the recommendation @stripes.

Jon - I always appreciate vendors being on here and actively participating in discussions. That is exactly why I went from SRAM brakes to Magura's recently and love them. Same went for Manitou stuff in the past. So you guys are up there in the contending for parts replacement. Just price is limiting factor and always worried about carbon stuff as I am not "gentle" rider.. LOL

mtbr member
    There is no scale on that chart, so the question is, 20% improvement over what? 20% improvement over totally inconsequential is still inconsequential. IMO, bar flex is totally inconsequential to steering, and for me has been imperceptible as far as felt shocks and vibrations.
    Do the math.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My rule is: Go 31.8. The industry went too far when it went 35 and that translates to some pretty harsh steering.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Jon. Much appreciated.. For your graphic there, that is just carbon bars correct? There are no aluminum bars in there for cross material comparison?
    Mostly correct. We did test Vibrocore as reviews are generally quite positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My rule is: Go 31.8. The industry went too far when it went 35 and that translates to some pretty harsh steering.
    I agree with you about Aluminum bars. That said, 35 is a much better material for Carbon as stronger bars are more easily made. The thickness of the layup at the stem in a heavy duty carbon 31.8mm bars means a higher risk of voids and other weaknesses. 31.8mm carbon bars are also more susceptible to over torquing the stem face plate. We designed all of the RF bars up until a few years ago so have quite a bit of experience in both materials and the transition of the industry to 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    There is no scale on that chart, so the question is, 20% improvement over what? 20% improvement over totally inconsequential is still inconsequential. IMO, bar flex is totally inconsequential to steering, and for me has been imperceptible as far as felt shocks and vibrations.
    The chart is showing relative stiffness so percentage improvement is all that is really needed. If you put 1lbs or 200lbs ours will flex ~20% move. For reference, 100lbs of load will flex our bar about 7mm.

mtbr member
    Bars are not "upgraded". It's a change in something for some purpose.

I am still amazed at how mountain bike bars are somehow necessary to be 31.8 or 35mm diameter, 810mm length.
    A much more abused mx bike uses 28.6mm or 22.2mm diameter bars, at 750-820 wide. Yet a 30 pound mountain bike doing much slower speeds "needs" 35\810mm bars.

Ha!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Bars are not "upgraded". It's a change in something for some purpose.

I am still amazed at how mountain bike bars are somehow necessary to be 31.8 or 35mm diameter, 810mm length.
    A much more abused mx bike uses 28.6mm or 22.2mm diameter bars, at 750-820 wide. Yet a 30 pound mountain bike doing much slower speeds "needs" 35\810mm bars.

Ha!

That might have something to do with the fact that mx bars only need to be strong whereas mountain bikers want strong, light and compliant.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That might have something to do with the fact that mx bars only need to be strong whereas mountain bikers want strong, light and compliant.
    Yet we have larger diameter bars? That reduces compliance
    We make them huge? That doesn't save weight....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Yet we have larger diameter bars? That reduces compliance
    We make them huge? That doesn't save weight....
    And believe me, compliance and such are incredibly important on a mx bike. The pounding your hands/bars take is incredible compared to mtb. Thats why the Fasst Flexx bars came into existence.

mtbr member
    Compliance can be designed for any size tube, and larger diameter tubes can be stronger and lighter than thinner ones. I'm no engineer but I'm pretty sure that's right.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie

I agree with you about Aluminum bars. That said, 35 is a much better material for Carbon as stronger bars are more easily made. The thickness of the layup at the stem in a heavy duty carbon 31.8mm bars means a higher risk of voids and other weaknesses. 31.8mm carbon bars are also more susceptible to over torquing the stem face plate. We designed all of the RF bars up until a few years ago so have quite a bit of experience in both materials and the transition of the industry to 35mm.
    This sounds more like splitting hairs, as I don't know of anyone having issues due to this. I've had a few RF 31.8 carbon bars, they worked great. This is exactly one of those "marginal improvements" issues that frustrates riders. Going from flat/straight 600mm 28.6 bars to modern 780 31.8 is huge, partly due to the size of the interface, but that's just a radical difference overall. Changing the interface diameter of bars already 780 with modern shape is a marginal improvement. Sure, an improvement is an improvement, but you end up chasing your tail making incremental improvements that don't really increase the riding experience. When you go to giant 35, you also have to neck it back down to the clamping diameter, which can reduce the area for other stuff. Come knocking back on my door when there's a substantial improvement to handlebars. To that extent, I bought one of those Synchro bars for my XC rig, I sweated over the effective stem length for days, but I'm really happy with the Hixon SL. Although I did not buy the weight-weenie version, it saves 5g off my already weight-weenie Next SL+superlight stem combo and it's much wider and stronger. THAT is a real improvement in handlebar technology. It's a bit pricey, but not so much when you consider replacing the stem at the same time...which you have to do "upgrading" from 31.8 to 35 anyway. I had to replace the stem because the ultra-light ritchey used T20 (not 25) drivers and was extremely frustrating to remove the handlebar from for travel.

You guys make some nice components and parts, but 35mm is an example of what is wrong with the industry IMO. Maybe we need suckers to buy the marginal improvements to pay for the development of the significant improvements, I don't know, but I can do without the small incremental changes that don't really increase the ride experience.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Anyone tried any of the Descendant carbon or al bars?

mbtr member
    This plus your chart make a good case for sticking with 31.8 aluminum bars. Maybe i'm reading it wrong.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Keep on Rockin...
    31.8 for principal alone !!!

35mm bars are one of those "new standards" brought nothing to the table except needing to toss a perfectly good 31.8 stem.

I'd say grip choice has as much, if not more to do with how "still" a bar feels, than anything. Also, get a bar with the wrong sweep or install it with a funny tilt and you'll feel it.

Renthal bars feel great to me. Not sure how they'd measure up in terms of "stiffness" but their sweep works for me.

Renthals also have a 40mm rise which I dig. I'm long legged and instead of running a stack of unsightly spacers under my stem I like a riser bar. Gives my chin and teeth a bit of clearance on those hard landings.

Finally, I figure Renthal has been making a lot more bars for a lot longer, for more demanding applications (moto) than other makers. So, I gave them a try a few years ago and never turned back. The way those bars sweep and fit me just seem to let me turn the bike and lay the bike over better than other bars.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The OneUp bars are indeed very nice. They feel better than any alloy (Renthal 31.8, RF Turbine, Atlas) or carbon (Ibis 31.8, RF SixC, NextR) bars I've used. No hand soreness after switching to them, although I do still get a bit of forearm tightness on my right hand after long descents, probably due to brake setup.

I really like the 35mm rise as well, as it puts me in a better position both seated (less hunched over) and descending (weight further back).

Short-Change-Hero
    So reading back through these again here is what I am gaining...
    1. 35mm diameter standard really has no "shown" benefits from it and SEEMS to be another standard that the industry has pushed upon us,
    2. best bet is to move to something more compliant. This really means moving back to a 31.8mm diameter bar
    3. If moving to 31.8mm bar is not really feasible, invest in a high quality CARBON bar. Some improvement may be seen from going with a higher quality ALUMINUM bar (moving to 7k series aluminum or other) but that could be negligible.

Does that about sum it up? I know there are people that will believe otherwise, so each to their own. Ergonomics is saddled in proof of concept which is where I am looking. For years I went without issues in my wrist but now suddenly moving here I have issues? Biggest change to the cockpit was the bars that came on the new bike.

mbtr member
    So reading back through these again here is what I am gaining...
    1. 35mm diameter standard really has no "shown" benefits from it and SEEMS to be another standard that the industry has pushed upon us,
    2. best bet is to move to something more compliant. This really means moving back to a 31.8mm diameter bar
    3. If moving to 31.8mm bar is not really feasible, invest in a high quality CARBON bar. Some improvement may be seen from going with a higher quality ALUMINUM bar (moving to 7k series aluminum or other) but that could be negligible.

Does that about sum it up? I know there are people that will believe otherwise, so each to their own. Ergonomics is saddled in proof of concept which is where I am looking. For years I went without issues in my wrist but now suddenly moving here I have issues? Biggest change to the cockpit was the bars that came on the new bike.
    That's my read. I've swapped a 30-50$ alu bar for a ~$100 alu bar a couple times, and it's been a pretty significant improvement. Beyond that i can't tell the difference between a nice alu and any carbon i've used (not to say it doesn't exist). A larger clamp means the bar is fighting an uphill battle, but to their credit, i have yet to notice a 35mm carbon bar because it felt horrible. The only alu 35mm bar i've used was horrible.

It's not something i'm particularly invested in (and i swear i'm mostly not a luddite!), but next time i'm making this choice i'm going for a nice 31.8 aluminum bar.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just a dissenting data point. I've used a variety of aluminum and carbon in both 31.8 and 35, occasionally back to back.

Assuming proper front tire pressure and a good working fork, I have trouble telling the difference between the options from a compliance or comfort perspective.

I suppose I'm shallow since I do like how 35mm bars/stem look.

I generally swap bars on stock builds simply for my preferred rise and sweep. While I can't tell much of a difference between brands, size or material, I can really tell a difference in sweep and angle. Pretty much any bar with my preferred measurements feels the same to me.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Just a dissenting data point. I've used a variety of aluminum and carbon in both 31.8 and 35, occasionally back to back.

Assuming proper front tire pressure and a good working fork, I have trouble telling the difference between the options from a compliance or comfort perspective.

I suppose I'm shallow since I do like how 35mm bars/stem look.

I generally swap bars on stock builds simply for my preferred rise and sweep. While I can't tell much of a difference between brands, size or material, I can really tell a difference in sweep and angle. Pretty much any bar with my preferred measurements feels the same to me.
    I think part of the issue here is we can't isolate small differences in angles and position being the actual improvement as far as hands-back-joints-etc. vs possible slight compliance due to material, butting, shape, etc. When you change a bar, you inevitably change all of these, since no two bars are usually the same, and then there's grips position, the brake lever angle and reach (that right there makes a big difference to me) and so on.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I think part of the issue here is we can't isolate small differences in angles and position being the actual improvement as far as hands-back-joints-etc. vs possible slight compliance due to material, butting, shape, etc. When you change a bar, you inevitably change all of these, since no two bars are usually the same, and then there's grips position, the brake lever angle and reach (that right there makes a big difference to me) and so on.
    I agree with you... I was able to find the information on my old Deity Black Labels and come to find out that they are 7* backsweep with 5* upsweep on a 780mm 15mm rise bar. Compared to my current Chesters which are 5* upsweep, 8* backsweep on 780mm 20mm rise and I think it may be a combination of things. Reach is definitely longer on the new bike but normally that would be felt more in the arms, shoulders and back, which I have no issues there (being too stretched out or scrunched).

Add to that, it seems to be increasingly hard to find that exact proper rotation point of the bars so that the back/upsweep are proper. Anyways, first world problems. But now I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money on carbon 35mm bars or search through friends for a 50mm 31.8 stem so I can test out my theory.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have all 31.8ís. Enve carbon, Syntace carbon, Raceface carbon, Thomson titanium and even a set of stainless steel Mary bars and old school Nitto black steel ones.

Depending on the bike geo and fit, I find which variety provide the most comfort flat, sweep, low rise or mustache and run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... no one I know seems to have a 31.8mm 50mm stem! Looks like if I am going to test this on the cheap I am going to have to grab a heavy, cheap-o stem from somewhere.. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I tried the 35mm Raceface carbon bars on a 2018 GG Smash. Hands hurt, switched them out for foam grips, 31.8 clamp, and a 31.8 Cromag carbon bar. so much better. I gave my friend the 35mm Raceface bars for his steel single speed (140mm Pike RC).

Yesterday, I rode his bike up hill (mostly standing because single speed) and my hands started to feel fatigued. At this point the only 35mm bar I would buy is OneUps, because they specifically talk about compliance in their carbon.

I personally have had good luck with my Chromag Fubar Cutless. But I did spend $120 on the bar + $80 for a 31.8 Thomson stem.

This isn't really true. A high quality carbon bar could be super stiff (see RaceFace SixC) or could be compliant. It just depends on the intention the designers have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just switched to a 31.8 Renthal Fatbar Carbon bar with a Syntace Megaforce stem. My hand and wrist pain are gone. I went with Renthal because as far as i know they are the only bar with a 7 degree backsweep, I had a 9 degree backsweep. 8/9 seems to be the industry standard. May be minor but it also adds a bit of reach. Not sure if the 31.8 bars or the backsweep change fixed my issue.. If you look hard enough you might still find some Special Edition Renthal Stealth bar if color is a concern.

Cheap Stem to try? Ibis

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting about the backsweep. Not something that I would have really thought would make a "huge" difference, though it does make sense. I was looking at SQLabs information and they actually recommend a 12* - 16* backsweep bar for "trail/enduro" riding. That seems like a HUGE amount of backsweep to me.

Part that sucks is unless I find someone to borrow a 50mm 31.8 clamp stem from I am gonna end up forking out at least $40-$50 for a "cheap" stem (that's including shipping in whatnot) so not really "CHEAP" in my book.

LOL... anyone got one they want to lend me a for a few weeks while I test this out!?!??

RAKC
    I can say handlebar center diameter isnt going to make a difference on ergonomics. The handlebar design and sweep will however. And it's a very major rider preference and can vary from one bike to another. Handlebars are like saddles grips and such, just what works for the rider. Not to mention there is a fair bit of adjustment in rotating your bars (which many forget about).

I like race face sixc 35s myself for my trail bike. But took a few rides to get them clocked just right. Once I did I could ride till I couldn't barely stand up to get back in my car but hands and wrists felt just fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You can use a shim to reduce your stem from 35 to 31.8. I used one of these for about 6 months without issue. https://www.amazon.com/Fouriers-Alum.../dp/B07H4JZYR6
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member

Part that sucks is unless I find someone to borrow a 50mm 31.8 clamp stem from I am gonna end up forking out at least $40-$50 for a "cheap" stem (that's including shipping in whatnot) so not really "CHEAP" in my book.

LOL... anyone got one they want to lend me a for a few weeks while I test this out!?!??
    I have a 50mm stem you can borrow.

Some cheap stems

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KRSEC-Short....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intense-Bik...cAAOSwgw9bSB16

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Nice find! Thanks for those.

mtbr member
    If you don't want to get those...I can send you my 50mm. It came off my Ripley. Just don't sweat all over it.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Syntace makes the Megaforce 2 stem in 31.8... which has a widened stem body and more spacing between the face plate bolts, closely simulating a 35mm thick stem, without all the heft .
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

The Punk Hucker
    I was also wondering if I should go 35mm this season. I widened my bars from 720mm to 780mm, stuck to carbon but stayed at 31.8mm with a set of Chromag Cutlass following their advice. The extra width does add stability and some comfort on downhill runs (keep in mind I ride a Chromag hardtail). So yeah, I did notice a positive difference by staying in the same diameter so it's not all about 31.8 vs 35mm. In your case, the move from aluminium to carbon would be a massive difference.

I considered WeAreOne's bar/stem combo. They have the right philosophy with regards to stiffness (too much is a bad idea) so their 33mm diameter middle ground was appealing. The proprietary stem was a deal breaker for me though, but perhaps you should consider them.
    Beware the hucking bear!

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    If you don't want to get those...I can send you my 50mm. It came off my Ripley. Just don't sweat all over it.
    Sent you a PM.

mtbrer
    I went from RF Affect bar and stem to a WeAreOne Bar and stem. Lost 180g - which aside from overall weight Iím sure I can feel lighter steering on slow-speed maneuvering.

Iím pretty sure I can feel more compliance thru the bars as well, but hard to quantify.

Also, theyíre a nice shade of back, no logos, no bling - which is just the way I like it.
    --Reamer