Grips- Mtbr.com

Thread: Grips

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Grips

So, I ride and Diamondback mission 2 for my enduro bike and a budget friendly hardtail that I am going to start racing for cross country. On both bikes I have recently been having finger cramps and my hands becomes super numb. I looked into esi, wolf tooth, and Ritchey but I donít know what will help because I donít know if anyone else has cramps like me. I see that foam grips help but durability doesnít seem to good. Any have any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't know if the cramps I have are like yours, but I have cramps once in a while. This have greatly improved by using good gloves (if there's a seam between your thumb and palm, forget them) and foam grips. These grips (I use Wolf Tooth Fat Paw) will tear a little bit more on crashes, but other than that, they're fine.

If you want to spend some extra, put carbon handlebars, that absorb a lot of vibration. Alternatively, I use Spanks handlebars, that are aluminum with a foam insert, that are said to dampen a lot of vibration too.

mtbr member
    When I experience hand numbness, it's due to riding position. Changing grips never resolves numbness (for me).
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    When I experience hand numbness, it's due to riding position. Changing grips never resolves numbness (for me).
    What did you do to reduce the numbness?

Short-Change-Hero
    This... also has to do with proper suspension setup. Riding too far forward (putting excess weight on your hands/shoulders) will cause numbness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    In a way, yes. If you don't put weight on the handlebar anytime, correct. But when I'm tired, I put weight, and then bad gloves and bad grips makes matter worse.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I had a lot of success with SQ Labs 7OX grips but they didn't even last a whole season. I'm planning on getting another pair of 711s (more rubber) to see how they go.

Also looking into my handlebar setup. Currently I have a 35mm clamp aluminum bar and stem. Wider bar is stiffer, transmits more vibration. Planning on getting a 31.8 mm bar/stem. Spank Vibrocore.