Gravel Pedal, ATAC XC8, or Speciale 8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Gravel Pedal, ATAC XC8, or Speciale 8

I was going to wait for the new Time Gravel pedals to put on my XC and/or gravel bikes, as I thought that would be a perfect way to use a more comfortable shoe for both and use the ATAC cleat, which I love; but it looks like they will not be available for a while, if ever, as the Time-Sport company has been sold to WhaTTfornow.

We don't know what will happen in the future regarding the promised Gravel pedals nor even any of the ATAC series, but I thought I should pick up a pair of either the ATAC XC8 or the Speciale 8 for my XC-trail bike while they are still available, regardless of the future. I currently have a pair of the very old but reliable Z-control pedals on my old stiffy MTB, so I like the idea of some kind of platform for their versatility. So seriously considering the Speciale 8 with a semistiff MTB/touring shoe. But if I really won't get much sole contact, might as well as go with the XC8. Anyone have any experience running both and can provide some insight/comparisons, recommendations?

Thanks,
    Nick

Live Free & Ride
    Am a long time Time ATAC pedal user. I have a gravel bike, yet was not even aware of this "gravel" specific pedal. It looks good and should work well on a road/gravel bike. I see it here on Glorycycles.com due in mid August. What model were you looking to get?

https://glorycycles.com/time-cyclo-6-gravel-pedals/
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    I just run and am totally happy with the ATAC's. My question is, with this new gravel pedal, why only one sided?
    EXODUX Jeff

Single Track Mind
    Well, I have been using Time ATAC pedals for like 20+ years. Remember the yellow block? And up until now have been more than ecstatic, leading me to pick up the XC-8s, which I chose over the Speciale 8. From the get go, these were not as good as previous offerings. Clipping in was touchy. On one ride after having a really hard time clipping in, I got off the bike to see what the hell was happening and saw that I was missing a spring and bar. As I was inspecting the pedal, it literally broke in half in my hand. Needless to say, I had a long walk/ride back to the car.

I'm in the early stages of checking in on a warranty for the 5 month-old pedals. Hopefully, they work with me, but I will opt for the Speciale 8 next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Am a long time Time ATAC pedal user. I have a gravel bike, yet was not even aware of this "gravel" specific pedal. It looks good and should work well on a road/gravel bike. I see it here on Glorycycles.com due in mid August. What model were you looking to get?

https://glorycycles.com/time-cyclo-6-gravel-pedals/
    Sorry about the very delayed reply. I thought I had replied earlier, but it doesn't seem to have been posted. Probably good because I did get an update from Time-USA. I was thinking that I would get the upgraded Cyclo 10, but it looks like it might be a wait for any of them as timesportusa ownership gets transferred. Last email from them on July 24th as that they still did not have an availability date. I was also a bit disappointed in that they could not provide me with a definitive answer to what the default pedal position would be when not engaged (ie. how it would hang); but they are the US distributor and not the actual manufacturer. A reviewer of an "early" (pre-production?) model did lament that it would not hang in a manner to make it easier to engage. :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikeloco View Post
    Well, I have been using Time ATAC pedals for like 20+ years. Remember the yellow block? And up until now have been more than ecstatic, leading me to pick up the XC-8s, which I chose over the Speciale 8. From the get go, these were not as good as previous offerings. Clipping in was touchy. On one ride after having a really hard time clipping in, I got off the bike to see what the hell was happening and saw that I was missing a spring and bar. As I was inspecting the pedal, it literally broke in half in my hand. Needless to say, I had a long walk/ride back to the car.

I'm in the early stages of checking in on a warranty for the 5 month-old pedals. Hopefully, they work with me, but I will opt for the Speciale 8 next time.
    Did you ever get any warranty work done on the pedals? I really wanted to like/consider the XC-8s, as I don't know when/if the Cyclo pedals will ever be released. BUT, I also don't want to have to deal with breakdowns. So if the Speciale 8 is more likely to give me trouble free performance like my old Z-Control Pedals, I will be more likely to opt for those.

Anyone have any more opinions?