Good P.O.E hubs for a Good price- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Good P.O.E hubs for a Good price

Hey all, Iíve been wanting to build up my first custom wheel set which for right now, Iím mainly going to focus on the rear wheel. For a few months now, Iíve been looking at reviews for the Bikehubstore MTB270 rear hub, and the Novatech D642. Iíve seen mixed reviews on both hubs and donít know which one I should go for. I donít want to spend over 200 bucks for one hub but I also want to have pretty good engagement, probably the lowest Iíd want to go is around 40. I have sun Ringle inferno 27ís laced onto speed tuned hubs right now, which have been bombproof but the P.O.E is definitely not the best and I keep burping the tires even when Iím running pretty normal psi levels (28 rear). Iíve looked at the Nukeproof horizon wheelset but I also heard that the rims get dented fairly easily and read that they come with novatech D642 hubs which people are saying Ďblow upí on them, but it might be because they didnít tighten the end cap enough? Not sure what hubs I want to go for and I know about dt Swiss and hope hubs but Iím looking for a cheaper alternative. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wanna ride bikes?
    For $200 get a Hope rear hub. Way, Way better than Novatec or BHS. Plus you get some bling.

Easy to service, durable, good engagement, great bang for your buck.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Look into the Sram 900 hubs. This was my pick for a wheel build and I love them. I also Hopes and I can't really tell a difference when I switch wheelsets. Look for a coupon and you will find a good deal. Some have found them in eBay; Universal Cycles has the 32 home boost for a decent price. Sign up for their newsletter and you can get 10-15 percent off your order.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80700

Here's a thread with user experiences: https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...k-1056201.html

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    For $200 get a Hope rear hub. Way, Way better than Novatec or BHS. Plus you get some bling.

Second.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sram 900 are great. I don't use them anymore, but they are good for a decent price. And they have spares.

Hope are also good, but I had never personally used them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Second.
    Third.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    DT Swiss 350, great hub, as durable as they come, upgrade POE down the line.

Love Hope for their bling, but I killed one a few years ago (ratchet failure).

There are really only three durable hubs of worth: Onyx, CK, and DT.

All the rest are just variants on a ratchet which can fail for a variety of reasons.

CK and Onyz are pricey, never had CK, but I loved my Onyx for their amazing instant engagement. The DT Swiss are just as durable as Onyx (more?), but at half the price.

I have DT Swiss on six family bikes, easy rebuild, never an issue.

As for your burping issues, that could be rim design and or interface with your tires, but it's probably the tires you are using. You might want to upgrade tires while your at it, that and run enough air pressure.

I build my own wheels and I'd never build a wheel with a cheap hub, the time and effort it takes to build a wheel is too much to invest in garbage. Worse, if you invest your time in building your own wheels and a hub fails, now you have to replace the hub, ie rebuild the wheel.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)