Going clipless need help with shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Going clipless need help with shoes

Hey guys going to bite the bullet and go clipless I've narrowed down to three shoes from research and reviews
    Shimano xc50
    Mavic Rush
    pearl izumi x project 2.0-30
    anybody wear these 10.5-11 U.S. Size and am worried about ordering correct size on line my LBS carries the Shimano so I can at least try those on
    thanks in advance

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    SIDI Dominators is the Ferrari of shoes.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/sea...gn=30161071680

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  32.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    +1 on Sidi Dominator. Comfortable, durable and great features. Worth the slight premium for the comfort. Wide sizes also available. Check the reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah I've owned their mx boots. But they are about $100 more than I wanted to spend but who knows may just put off my purchase for a week or so and spend the extra$$$

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    Yeah I've owned their mx boots. But they are about $100 more than I wanted to spend but who knows may just put off my purchase for a week or so and spend the extra$$$
    It's worth the wait to save for them trust me. I've used them for 15 years without any issues. Great comfort and they last forever. Italian made like a Ferrari . I've also had their MX boots which were also top notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks dirtjunkie how do they run size wise I'm a 10.5-11 depending on shoe company buy their size chart should I err on the small or large size
    Thanks again
    I love this site. Great info

Parking Lot Poser
    Shouldn't there be a:..

New guy to clipless Or
    Best shoe for clipless Or
    Best shoe for flats

...... section in the forum??

I mean really, this is so common it reads like the cover of bicycling magazine

Hi There!
    I've always bought my clipless shoes a bit tight, feels easier to unclip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Really you need both. The sidis are the most comfortable and expensive shoes i have ever had. On cold days or when there is even the remote possibility of having to walk out the pearl izumis are much better.

mtbr member
    The Sidi D is a great shoe, I have a pair and can report that they last a long time and fit my feet really well. That said since you're just delving into it I don't see the need to splurge on a $250 pair of shoes, clipless isn't for everyone and there is a chance you may not love it.

My first choice would probably be the ones I could try on, and if they're a good fit make sure you buy them there at the lbs. Shimano makes a pretty good shoe and you won't be missing out on any of the benefits of clipless if you go with them (IMO).

If you order online I'd recommend ordering at least 2 sizes of whatever shoe you're interested in to get the best fit and then returning the others. Good luck & have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just started clipping in this year. I found a pair of Pearl Izumis on craigslist. They were brand new. Got them for 20 bucks. I didn't want to spend big money if I ended up not liking it. They work fine for now. I'll step up to some newer shoes next year. And I do have my eye in Sidi shoes for when I step up to newer ones.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Bike shoes are an item I won't buy online. I've got to try them on. I've also never paid more than $100 for bike shoes. I buy in the late season, or old stock from the previous season. I'm willing to wait to find the right fit at the right price. I've seen Sidi's on sale & tried them on, but never found the right fit on the sale items.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    The Sidi's listed above are very nice and I have a pair, I wear the wide size and bought them a half size larger than my running shoes. That being said, since I have a high instep and a slightly wider than average foot, the Northwave shoes fit me the best by far. I started out paying about $150 a pair and now get the leftovers on ebay for $60-80 tops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree with J.B. Trying clipless you don't need the best shoe money can buy.

Go to store buy a nice pair of shimano's for a fair amount less and see if clipless is for you.

They make some very good shoes. Currently riding on xc-60 but going to get a pair of sidi's.

After 30 years of riding clipless I need to know what the hype is all about.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    A good comfortable snug fit is very important, everyone has different feet.
    Sidi's are not for me, dont fit me well and I find there oversized logos too flashy.
    Best is as others recommended go to shops and try on some of their shoes.
    Im currently on Shimano M163's as the fit was just good for me, for my next shoes Im looking at Mavic Fury's

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Bike shoes are an item I won't buy online. I've got to try them on. I've also never paid more than $100 for bike shoes. I buy in the late season, or old stock from the previous season. I'm willing to wait to find the right fit at the right price. I've seen Sidi's on sale & tried them on, but never found the right fit on the sale items.
    This^^^^^^^ Shoes are something you need to try on. What's comfy for one person could feel like a torture devise to another.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Going clipless need help with shoes

Double post

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a pair of the Dominator Fits...and they are pretty awesome. When I tried them on...the clouds parted in the sky and a ray of light shined on me. The ratchet is probably the best I've tried. Its so smooth.

Shoes are something I don't tend to cheap out on. Its the interface between you and the bike. I haven't used the Sidis them on the trail yet...still trying to wear down my Northwaves and S-Works Trail.

mtbr member
    check this site out:

https://www.bikeshoes.com/

30 days return policy, great prices. Does help if you know your sizing!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler