Giant Contact Switch SL Dropper Stanchion Wear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Giant Contact Switch SL Dropper Stanchion Wear

Hi all,

I've got a 150mm Giant Contact dropper. Over the past few months the stanchion of the post has developed increasingly severe stanchion wear. The post's cartridge still works fine - it goes up and down no problem (though the stiction has been getting worse due to the stanchion wear). I can't seem to find a stanchion or even a seal/rebuild kit online for the post.

Giant Contact Switch SL Dropper Stanchion Wear-img_20190414_135623.jpg

I've attempted to speak to Giant directly regarding getting parts, but I never got a response back. I've taken the post to a Giant dealer, but they were unable to get parts for the post. All they could do was to warranty it, which required a receipt (unfortunately I don't have one as the post came on a bike I bought used).

I would be happy to purchase service parts, if they could be found anywhere. Has anyone managed to deal with something like this before, or is my only option to run the post into the ground and then buy a new post that actually offers service parts?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Did you ever get this sorted out? Is this normal wear for a dropper? Did you service it regularly?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Not normal, but common if the seal gets contaminated with sand and gets bad. Looks like this is a seal kit:
    https://www.amaincycling.com/giant-c...000083/p705762

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks. I'm looking at picking up a Giant dropper. Guess I'll order a seal kit just in case...

mtbr member
    Not worth getting parts...

Look at it this way.

You can spend $300+ on a top end dropper post e.g. Reverb & spend $100+ every season getting it serviced i.e. new internals...

or

Spend $150 every couple of seasons getting a new Contact dropper from giant.

I owned a Reverb & sure it was nice... but, having to spend close to full price of a Giant dropper every season to service the bloody thing had me seeing red.

I'll happily shell out the service price of a Reverb every two+ seasons for a new Contact SL.

Sent from my Nokia X6
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Just a heads up, those seals are for the non-SL post. I don't think they will work with the SL version.

As far as the post itself, I haven't found any solutions. Giant will not sell any replacement parts, neither new seals nor a stanchion. I've just decided to run the post into the ground. It still goes up and down, though it's a bit rough. In the future I definitely won't be buying another giant dropper - OneUp, PNW, and others offer inexpensive droppers with some means of servicing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Too bad Phoenix. I can see how that would leave a bad impression on the company. I don't see what the big deal is with selling replacement parts. Unless they only want to sell parts to deals so they can do the service work for you and charge you an arm in labor.

Targnik, I think you hit the nail on the head. At the cost of rebuilding one of these cheap droppers, it makes sense to pony up the extra and get a brand new one. Nice to see so much more affordable droppers hitting the market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Too bad Phoenix. I can see how that would leave a bad impression on the company. I don't see what the big deal is with selling replacement parts. Unless they only want to sell parts to deals so they can do the service work for you and charge you an arm in labor.

Targnik, I think you hit the nail on the head. At the cost of rebuilding one of these cheap droppers, it makes sense to pony up the extra and get a brand new one. Nice to see so much more affordable droppers hitting the market.
    Unfortunately they wouldn't even sell parts to dealers. The only way to get anything done was to have a receipt and warranty the entire post through a dealer.

As the post came on a used bike I didn't have a receipt, and as such wasn't able to get any work done. It seems like if you needed any spare parts outside of the warranty period you would also be out of luck.

At this point there is literally zero reason to buy a Giant seatpost. With OneUp you can get a cheap, decent dropper that actually has service parts available.