FYI :: Giant Pinner DH / (??VP Harrier DH5??) recall- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

FYI :: Giant Pinner DH / (??VP Harrier DH5??) recall

Hello FYI in case anyone is running these pedals::

I have for some time been using Giant Pinner DH pedals (appears to be rebranded VP Harrier DH5?)

anyways it seems V2 of these are prone to have the locking fastener fail resulting in pedal separation and possible crashes / injury.'

For reasons unclear to me Giant AU has the recall information up now ..but I don't yet see it on Giant USA (or elsewhere ?? yet)..

I've stopped using these pedals myself now..FYI be aware::

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/pi...al-recall-2020

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FYI :: Giant Pinner DH / (??VP Harrier DH5??) recall-pinner.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    certainly seems to be the same as the VP Harrier DH5??

FYI :: Giant Pinner DH / (??VP Harrier DH5??) recall-harrier.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I just saw this recall today, and have emailed VP. What really sucks is I have three sets of these pedals on three different bikes, and they say NOT to use them due to 79 failures, one severe injury. I called the phone number, but they refer to the email. Name, addy, phone, date of purchase and receipt. Let's be honest, I got my last three sets back in 2017 and who knows where I have that receipt, but that part shouldn't matter, I have pictures of them on all three bikes. Fingers crossed on a quick response, because now, more than ever, is the worst time to NOT be able to ride any one of my mtbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have the original Giant Pinner pedals on three bikes for a few years now with no issues but I have snapped the spindle bolt on two pairs of the redesigned Harrier pedals. I contacted VP today and will see what happens on the recall. They say on the website that they will replace them with their new Ryme pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
    I have the original Giant Pinner pedals on three bikes for a few years now with no issues but I have snapped the spindle bolt on two pairs of the redesigned Harrier pedals. I contacted VP today and will see what happens on the recall. They say on the website that they will replace them with their new Ryme pedals.

yes the orig design was good.. for some reason they apparently felt they needed to mess with it.. resulting in the faulty design.

I got a pair of pedals as an interim solution that were very not to my liking... I guess I will see if I ever get the Ryme pedals and how I like them?

I ended up getting Deity TMAC pedals anyway however... really not liking the interim pedals at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No response from VP components after sending 6 emails so far. They also do not answer their phone. VP customer service sucks. I will never buy anything from this company.