Fox transfer issue on SB100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Fox transfer issue on SB100

So just picked up a 2020 SB100 Turq T1 from a fellow pinkbiker. Bike is sweet and its for my wife. It arrived by bikeflights today. So stoked on it. I figured we would have to redo the housing and cable for the dropper just due to leg length height etc. So wife rides it around we get the seat right where she wants it and it wont rise all the way up she has to pull it up last inch. I should add that i could get it to rise all the way up if i pulled the seat post up a couple inches which is probably where the original owner had it based on the housing length. Im like no sweat I figured we would have to redo the housing and cable anyway. So I mark where she wants her seat and take out the old housing and cable. I have done a few transfers, the specialized command ones and a few bike yokes, I am not thinking anything of this. Its COVID season and I need a project anyway.

So I watch a quick tutorial again as its been about a year since I have put one in. I watch the one from World Wide Cyclery. Everything is going fine, tighten up the cable, hit the lever 20 times. Its still nice and tight. I put pressure on the seat and it struggles to drop. Like i have to hit the lever a couple more times to get it just right. After I get it down it wont rise all the way up just like with the original housing in this spot. Im like wtf is going on. The cable is tight there is no stretch etc. So i think I screwed up or WWC is screwed up so I say screw it and I will watch the FOX made video and follow their measurement routine and the housing is the exact same length so its not that.

I fiddle **** around with this thing and i decide well I wonder at a different height if it will activate. Sure as shit if I put it down another inch in the seat tube it lowers and raises fine. If I bring it up another inch it works fine. I looked in the seat tube the exact spot the cable sits at the height my wife needs the post and I cant see any obstructions or anything. Its like about an inch above where the switch infinity lives.

So ive thrown in the towel for the night as I have tried to get it work 5 times now with the same results. Einstein would label me insane. Any insight, help, ridicule or whatever to get this fixed appreciated.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I bet it's been crushed/impinged by the seatpost clamp. This is one of the Achilles Heel's of dropper posts, you want to secure them so they aren't sliding around, but doing that can impinge on the tubes and either slow the function unacceptably, or at worse damage it. IME, they will sometimes slip with the "recommended torque" so you are often left with no good alternative. I usually slather it up with a lot of carbon-grip paste so I can use the least amount of torque as possible.

If this is the case...there isn't really anything you can do, except replace the parts, which will likely end up being $$$. Time to dump that transfer anyway, the action is like peanut butter compared to the better posts these days. Bikeyoke revive is like a bugatti and the PacNW stuff (just got one) is not a bad alternative at way less $$$, significantly less than even the Transfer. I have a transfer...it broke pretty early on, but after service it's been reliable...but man the action is just terrible compared to my Bikeyokes and even the PacNW.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I bet it's been crushed/impinged by the seatpost clamp.
    Yeah, this was the first thought I had, too. It should be easy to tell, pull the post and you should be able to feel it if you run your hand down the post, it's probably visible too if you look close. With many droppers you can feel the action change as you tighten the binder, I always cycle the post through the process and stop when I feel it change even if it's not to full rated torque yet. If it won't hold position at that torque then you have to use friction paste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks I am trying to follow here. Its crushed at that exact position but will work at other positions?

I am using a small torque driver set at 5nm to set the post. I will give it a good look today.

I have a revive on my enduro and I know the feeling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropper View Post
    Thanks I am trying to follow here. Its crushed at that exact position but will work at other positions?
    Yes, the pinched spot would cause a bind in that position only. Does the resistance to movement change if you loosen or tighten the binder when at the height that causes problems?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Actually, this is a specific thing with Fox Transfer posts. Loosen the seat clamp slightly and it will come up the last inch most likely. Happens on every bike I've had with Fox posts which is an embarrassingly large sample size. Best way I've found to set the seat clamp tension is to drop the post about an inch and slowly loosen the seat clamp bolt until it will rise from there on its own. If you start from fully dropped there is enough momentum to get past that last inch a lot of the time, but it still won't rise from a slightly dropped position if the clamp is too tight. I've found that using this, the seat clamp is plenty tight to keep things in place and the dropper works correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks all! Thats was it! I kept dropping the torque until it worked! this is my second transfer and never had this issue but they were on Santa Cruz bikes. Not sure if frame makes a difference. In any case I went to 4nm and no Joy. Went to 3nm and that did it! I sat on it and had wife and it didnt move. Will probably add some friction paste at some point. Whats so weird about this is at 1inch lower or higher at 5nm it would rise all the way up. 3nm from here on out.