First post, looking for a bit of help with components.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

First post, looking for a bit of help with components.

My name is Tom and I'm 27 from AUS and only recently have become addicted to Mountain Biking. 2 months ago I bought a Rocky Mountain Growler 40 and took it out every weekend and some weeknights even and soon become addicted, as expected.
    I knew the Hardtail wasn't going to be enough to satisfy my craving for wanting to go downhill and hit bigger jumps and my LBS was kind enough to let me refund the Growler in FULL after almost 6 weeks and I ended up leaving again with a Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 lol. I have converted it to tubeless and am loving riding this thing so much more already and only had it two weeks.

I want to buy a new stem for my new Carbon Handle bars but not sure what stem to get for the size of the steerer tube on my bike. I am super super new to all things bikes.
    The Slayer states that it has a tapered steerer tube, but doesn't state what size it tapers too, is it just 1 1/8th?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tapered steerer means that it is a larger diameter( usually 1.5") at the fork crown and smaller( 1.125") at the top. Most stems are for 1.125 steerer tubes. which is what you will need.
    EXODUX Jeff

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Tapered steerer means that it is a larger diameter( usually 1.5") at the fork crown and smaller( 1.125") at the top. Most stems are for 1.125 steerer tubes. which is what you will need.
    That's the first half of the equation. He'll also need to confirm whether the handlebar is 31.8mm or 35mm.

After that, the real questions begin...specifically, why a new stem and all that may entail.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod172943

Thanks for the reply champ.
    This is the stem I was looking at. Size wise would that be right? I am bathing out that 1.125 is the same as 1-1/8th, one Imperial sizing and the other Metric?

mtbr member
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...arbon-30,21212

is that your bike?

If so it looks like the stock stem is a 35 MM handlebar diameter but the stem you linked has both options.

and yes 1/8 = .125

alsooo, the stock stem looks pretty alright, any reason you want to change, just aesthetics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Same bike, mines the 2019, much of a muchness spec wise and same stem on both models.
    Only reason I am changing stem is because the Carbon Handlebars I am getting (Nukeproof on sale) are 31.8 and won't fit in the stock stem, so needing a 31.8.

mtbr member
    I see, well then yes that stem should work then.

Hitching a ride
    Tom, if you're going to get into modifying your bike, one of these will save you a lot of money: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Mil...ateway&sr=8-20