Favorite Bottle Cage and Water Bottle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Favorite Bottle Cage and Water Bottle

Looking for a high quality bottle cage and water bottle. What is your favorite?

Looking for a cage that holds the bottle securely. Need a bottle that is easy to maintain.
    Please note brand name, model and size. How do you use it to it's best potential?( insulated vs non, size, frozen ice vs cubes etc)

mtbr member
    I don't have a wide variety of experiences, but I use a Lezyne Power Cage under my downtube because it holds the bottle in place really well. I had a generic cage under there before and had to use a velcro strap to secure the bottle on trail terrain. I would not recommend using the Power Cage as a main cage because it's hard to remove the bottle and reholster it while riding, at least with my bottles. I only keep it there as a secondary bottle that I know won't eject into the dirt.

I also carry a bottle on top of my downtube in a plain plastic Bontrager cage. its secure enough to hold it there but loose enough to grab and reholster while riding. I ride with a full bottle in each cage and swap the bottles when the first one is empty.

I have not tried a lot of bottles but the Camelback Podium Chill ones I use work well. If i am going to put a drink mix in, I use a cheaper generic bottle because I don't want the aftertaste to linger in my nice Camelback bottles.

Out spokin'
    I have Fidlock magnetic bottles on 3 bikes and love them. The largest size.

I know what youíre thinking: ďThereís no way a magnetic bottle is going to stay attached to my bike considering the hectic terrain I ride.Ē Well, the magnets donít hold the bottle to your bike, rather they simply lock the mechanism closed so the bottle canít fall off.

Iíve done 4í drops, ridden high speed chattery trails and navigated rock gardens with these bottles without ever losing one. Theyíre easy to release in your hand and when the bottle is off the bike, the mount is nearly invisible.

I dig Ďem.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bikesexual
    I find the Lezyne a bit too tight to grab the bottle on the go, but they sure hold them. I have one on my Krampus.

My go to cages are Arundel, and they work great, fairly priced, and had them on for a few years.

Bottles, Podium Chill, that's a no brainier for SoCal.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Side loaders on my road bike, and the big camelback bottle. I have a cage to install on my MTB for short rides, mostly I have my camelback with me.

mtbr member
    I won't use anything but the Lezyne cages anymore, even if the bottles are tight to get in and out while riding. I've had too many regular cages turn into deformed nightmares after one crash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Should bottle cages be something I pay more attention to? I bought a cheap $5 velcro strapped one from walmart and threw it on my bike and never thought about it again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I won't use anything but the Lezyne cages anymore, even if the bottles are tight to get in and out while riding. I've had too many regular cages turn into deformed nightmares after one crash.

Depends on which Lezyne model I guess, mine regularly eject water bottles. I really like the Bontrager carbon ones but they're real pricey, they hold bottles tight though and never deform. Also easy to put the bottle in & out of them.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 101Surge View Post
    Should bottle cages be something I pay more attention to?

It is if you don't want to drop bottles.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sorry should have been more specific. I'm talking about the Lezyne Power Cage.

mtbr member
    I used Elite Custom Race cages on all my bikes. Light durable and fairly cheap. Also, never lost a bottle.
    For bottles, I prefer Camelback Podium or Podium Chill bottles.
    EXODUX Jeff

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Profile Design cage and Camelbak Podium Chill inner bladder bottle. This combo is a snug fit and still easy to pull out and put back in. Iíve never lost a bottle with this combo. Canít beat this bottle for keeping the beverage chilled and the twist locking cap is a great design.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I use a lezyne side loader on all my bikes along with camelbak podium bottles. Never dropped a bottle, but it is a tight fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My prefered bottles are Zefal Sense grip 80. Holds good and no leaking, and they are cheap. Non insulated of course.
    For cage, I have some custom/home made carbon cages, that hold bottles great even on really bumpy fast downhills, make it easy to take bottles out and put them back in and it weights whole 19g (plus screws)
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I love my Fidlock bottle cage and bottle combo, works really well. I have never dropped a bottle with it and it is super easy to put the bottle back into place. I have both the 600ml and 450ml one

Rider
    I like the side by side mounts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail1416 View Post
    Looking for a high quality bottle cage and water bottle. What is your favorite?

Looking for a cage that holds the bottle securely. Need a bottle that is easy to maintain.
    Please note brand name, model and size. How do you use it to it's best potential?( insulated vs non, size, frozen ice vs cubes etc)
    I use specialized Zee cages and camelbak podium chill insulated bottles in large 24oz and regular 21 oz sizes. 2 of my frames only fit the smaller bottle on seat tube and bigger one on down tube.

I mostly don't run a cage under my downtube, but when I do I run lezyne power cage. Like others have said I can't get bottle in out easily, but that is fine because I just swap to to inside the frame once per ride when the upper bottle is empty.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Bontrager came out with a really good side-loader about a year ago. It's stout plastic and really holds the bottle securely. It's a big improvement over their previous version and I feel it's stronger and holds the bottle better than the Spec. side-loader.

I used to use Arundel Sport or side-loader cages. The Bontrager cage is stronger and more secure.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Arundle Carbon side load, little pricey, but has lasted me 8 years and several bikes without a problem. bottle, i just use the the cheap ones from the bike store and when they get nasty, just trough away.
    SC Hightower 2

Combat Wombat
    I am still a fan of King cages and bought the Wolftooth Morse cage version for my Honzo last year. Relatively inexpensive and has served me well. The Camelbak Podium Chill bottle works for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Specialized water bottles. They're often rebranded for other companies. They're a classic!

I don't care much about the cage, as long as it functions correctly.

mtbr member
    I've been running the Canyon Eject set up on my small Pivot. Excellent system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    I've been running the Canyon Eject set up on my small Pivot. Excellent system.

Maybe an excellent system but not the best choice for a name.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Soma water bottle is my fave. Last really long, I've only retired one so far! Second one is finally nearing retirement, nozzle thingie you pull open with teeth is tearing. I use it as backup second bottle and swap caps when my primary runs out.
    Doesn't impart flavor/odor and resists taking on taste too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Bontrager came out with a really good side-loader about a year ago. It's stout plastic and really holds the bottle securely.
    Is this the one you are talking about in either left or right side load? What brand bottle and sizes do you like?
    https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...e-354011-1.htm

mtbr member
    Yep, that's it. I use Camelbak and Spec Purist ~22-24 oz non-insulated bottles.
    What, me worry?

rth009
    May 2010
    Arundel plastic cages with camelback podium or podium chill here. I also use the wolftooth BRAD system with the dual bottle cage mount so I can get 2 side by side on the downtube and one on the seat tube. I used to use the Salsa Nickless cages, but the arundel are cheaper and work just as well.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Arundel plastic cages with camelback podium or podium chill here. I also use the wolftooth BRAD system with the dual bottle cage mount so I can get 2 side by side on the downtube and one on the seat tube. I used to use the Salsa Nickless cages, but the arundel are cheaper and work just as well.
    Have a picture of that set up?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I have a Lezyne side loader and then some generic water bottle..snug fit which I like, but it is easy to pull out..yikes! did I say that.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Have a picture of that set up?
    I dont have a bottle in the seat tube cage, but you can kind of see one on there. The tool roll sits under the bottles on the downtube cage with the wolf tooth strap. that holds multitool, tube, tire plugs, levers, and assorted stuff.

Favorite Bottle Cage and Water Bottle-img_3260.jpg

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    I dont have a bottle in the seat tube cage, but you can kind of see one on there. The tool roll sits under the bottles on the downtube cage with the wolf tooth strap. that holds multitool, tube, tire plugs, levers, and assorted stuff.
    Thanks, that may be a solution for my Krampus' ONE place to put a bottle. No issues w/rubbing your legs on the bottles, I take it?

(sorry for the hijack)
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

rth009
    May 2010
    It will rub a little bit if I have to stand up and climb something steep, otherwise, top tube is long enough on my size large that its not an issue. I take a little tap with my knee every 2-3 rides to have 3 bottles and repair kit in the main triangle and no backpack.

Nat
    mtbr member
    My favorite bottles:

Favorite Bottle Cage and Water Bottle-00877dbd-9d64-41a0-8220-872c1552d1d0.jpg

F-ing MTBR. Why do you make photo loading such a pain in the ass? Somebody else straighten out the pic.

*bump*
    Side mount cage recommendations.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    i use these. the water bottle is insulated. on long rides i use my Camelbak 3 liter backpack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    *bump*
    Side mount cage recommendations.
    If you mean side loading, I feel the Bontrager sideloader cages are really good. These newer ones came out a little over a year ago. They're strong and retain the bottles very well.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Stainless King cage and regular Camelbak podiums for me. Nice tight fit. I have an insulated REI brand bottle that I use more to keep Gatorade from freezing (or more accurately slow the freezing process) in the winter than cold in the summer. Until just now I never thought about using it for summer riding and I feel rather foolish. All my bikes are hard tails so I have tons of room to get bottles in and out.

Practice Gratitude

King Cage / Specialized water bottles.

I'll add another vote for the King cages as well as the Specialized water bottles. I've used both over the last 12 years exclusively and have yet to lose a water bottle on the trail. I too asked myself a similar question years ago because I kept losing water bottles on the trails with inferior designs or cheaply made water bottle cages. I use the standard stainless King cages as well as the standard Specialized first gen "big mouth" water bottles. I do have to note that the stainless steel cage does leave some residue on the bottles from rubbing and what not but it comes off whenever I clean the bottles. I use them on the seat tube and top of the down tube.

Best,
    Jason

King Cage: Bicycle Waterbottle Cages

1st Generation Big Mouth Bottles - Specialized Water Bottles
    Last edited by Plusti; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:48 AM. Reason: Typo.
    ďIt never gets easier, you just get faster.Ē ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

mtbr member
    I like simple. And cheap.

These Gatorade bottles hold 32 oz. Wide mouth for ice cubes. A little window on the side to tell you how much is in it. No lid or flip top to fiddle with. Just squeeze the bottle in the general direction of your face and open your mouth.

My bike came with the white Kinetic multi position cage and I bought a Salsa side load for the seat tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Zefal Magnum.

1 liter cycling bottle.

No known cure
    Lezyne cages and whatever bottles get handed out at the races. I carry one bottle on the frame and two in my pack along with three litres in the bladder. All the bottles are for the dog.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

F-ing MTBR. Why do you make photo loading such a pain in the ass? Somebody else straighten out the pic.
    Have you tried cropping the pic before you upload it? That usually works for me, even if it's just cropping it a little bit.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:23 PM. Reason: Sump Trucks
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Arundel Mandible carbon cage. Nothing holds a bottle better. Camelback podium bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    If you mean side loading, I feel the Bontrager sideloader cages are really good. These newer ones came out a little over a year ago. They're strong and retain the bottles very well.
    Yes, I meant side loading. Funny you mentioned the Bontrager sideloader, thatís the only one Iíve found in local bike shops. Seems very small in diameter and I was concerned with my Camelbak Podium ďinsulatedĒ bottle fitting. Love that bottle but itís too long to fit in my frame using a regular cage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lezyne flow side load

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=56921

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2019 SANTA CRUZ HIGHBALL CC (Custom Built)
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mbtr member
    Another vote for King cage, but i prefer the Iris model. It's harder to pull the bottle, but it's even more secure. And they look better.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes, I meant side loading. Funny you mentioned the Bontrager sideloader, thatís the only one Iíve found in local bike shops. Seems very small in diameter and I was concerned with my Camelbak Podium ďinsulatedĒ bottle fitting. Love that bottle but itís too long to fit in my frame using a regular cage.
    Yep. I nice snug fit so very unlikely to get spit out, even with a long top-heavy bottle like the big Camelbaks.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    My favourite bottle cage is a King Cage Ti, but recently Iíve just got myself a Fidlock and really like it so far.

Iím also going to give an Arundel a try on my Ibis soon...