Fat single clamp grips?- Mtbr.com
    In Transit
    Nov 2009

Fat single clamp grips?

Can anyone point me to some fat (large circumference) single clamp locking grips? I usually run Oury double clamp grips but my new Ibis carbon bars don’t play nice with the end plugs (even after trimming their length) due to the removable extensions.

Thanks!

aka bOb
    Believe it or not but Bontrager actually makes a decent fat single clamp grip. Been running a pair for about 6 months and really like em.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Believe it or not but Bontrager actually makes a decent fat single clamp grip. Been running a pair for about 6 months and really like em.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
    I would definitely believe it - I actually use a lot of their stuff for road biking. Thanks for the heads up.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Just found these as well, which are 32mm in diameter like the Ourys and Bontragers:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/en...=230973-156055

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    From what I've heard the Ergon GA2 FAT version may also be an option for you. I think it's in the same vein as the bontrager and specialized suggestions, but with a slightly toned down version of Ergon's unusual shaping.

Has anyone found a single clamp equivalent to the ODI Rogue or Oury double clamps? I don't have big hands, so for me it's not about the increased diameter specifically. It's all about the dynamics of the tall/thick/soft rubber that has a lot of cushion and tackiness to it. These others designed for big hands seem to have a thicker 'core' than regular grips, and may use soft-ish rubber, but appear to lack the tall rubber height I'm looking for to maximize cushion paired with thin gloves.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Just found these as well, which are 32mm in diameter like the Ourys and Bontragers:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/en...=230973-156055
    So I picked these up at my LBS and was stoked that one of the colors matched my bike. While doing a taste test back to back with my Ourys however, they felt a little small so I broke out the calipers. Sure enough, the Ourys measure 32.5mm, the Specs measure 31.5mm, and some Lizard Skins measured 29.8mm. Seeming small differences but they are noticeable in hand.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    As my hunt continued, I stumbled upon these bad boys at Jenson - 33mm!

https://www.raceface.com/products/microsite/grippler

Alas, we were never meant to be. These Gripplers shortchanged me by a millimeter, measuring ~32mm on average and generally feeling hard and uncomfortable compared to the Ourys. Back to Jenson they go.

But what is that on the horizon? A single clamp Oury?!? Indeed!

Oury V2 Grips - Oury Grip USA

They’re so new that none of my LBS’ distributors have them in stock. Time will tell whether I give in to function (Ourys) over fashion (Specs), but I must say that the Enduros impressed on a longish ride this past weekend despite feeling undersized under hand.

Let's get weird
    Sensus meaty paw

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yeah, I know the OP had asked about single clamp, but I couldn't mentioned that I use and like a lot the Wolf Tooth Fat Paws. They are huge (36mm) and soft, but a PITA to install and take off.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kampgnar View Post
    Sensus meaty paw
    I think I found my furry name

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Are the spesh grips slick when wet as the review indicates?

Edit: sorry, I meant wet with sweat, or damp. I dont generally ride in the wet.
    Last edited by TwiceHorn; 09-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Remains to be seen since we won’t see rain here for another month or three. I have some older Spec grips with a similar texture on a townie that do get slick in the rain but ironically just changed them out because of how sticky they get once the surface texture wears off and then they warm up under the sun for a while.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBri View Post
    From what I've heard the Ergon GA2 FAT version may also be an option for you. I think it's in the same vein as the bontrager and specialized suggestions, but with a slightly toned down version of Ergon's unusual shaping.
    I have these on both of my mtb's. I like them a lot.

I have used ODI Rogue in the past and while I liked the grip part of them, I'm not a fan of the clamps. I sweat enough that I have corrosion problems with the clamp bolts.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    As my hunt continued, I stumbled upon these bad boys at Jenson - 33mm!

https://www.raceface.com/products/microsite/grippler

Alas, we were never meant to be. These Gripplers shortchanged me by a millimeter, measuring ~32mm on average and generally feeling hard and uncomfortable compared to the Ourys. Back to Jenson they go.

But what is that on the horizon? A single clamp Oury?!? Indeed!

Oury V2 Grips - Oury Grip USA

They’re so new that none of my LBS’ distributors have them in stock. Time will tell whether I give in to function (Ourys) over fashion (Specs), but I must say that the Enduros impressed on a longish ride this past weekend despite feeling undersized under hand.
    Thanks for that link to the single clamp Ourys. Used them forever until the outer clamp finally caused me enough irritation to give up. Was about to go back to the non-lock with glue and wire, but now a single clamp flavor... yes !!!