Extending shorter dropper post vs longer drop and slammed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Extending shorter dropper post vs longer drop and slammed?

Hey,

I was curious about something regarding dropper posts in general. I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I have a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010 (medium) which came with a 150mm Reverb. When it was time to switch posts I purchased a 150mm post in another brand (One Up).

I haven't had any issues with it but recently had a pro bike fit done and was told I was losing power on climbs and top speed because I had my post too low. Now I've got the post up 30mm from being slammed and it's been working great and the fit is noticeably better actually.

I'm curious if I should be looking to buy a 170mm or 180mm post now though that I can slam again to get the same overall height when fully extended.

Is there really any difference between a 150mm post extended from the frame 30mm vs a 180mm post which would be slammed? (other than the seat being 30mm higher when slammed).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnpikey View Post
    Hey,

I was curious about something regarding dropper posts in general. I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I have a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010 (medium) which came with a 150mm Reverb. When it was time to switch posts I purchased a 150mm post in another brand (One Up).

I haven't had any issues with it but recently had a pro bike fit done and was told I was losing power on climbs and top speed because I had my post too low. Now I've got the post up 30mm from being slammed and it's been working great and the fit is noticeably better actually.

I'm curious if I should be looking to buy a 170mm or 180mm post now though that I can slam again to get the same overall height when fully extended.

Is there really any difference between a 150mm post extended from the frame 30mm vs a 180mm post which would be slammed? (other than the seat being 30mm higher when slammed).

Thanks!
    A longer post may not fit your frame. You may want to check that first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I would say it depends. My 175mm post is 30mm from slammed on my enduro bike. The only time I notice it is if I am trying to suck the bike up to get it higher in the air. I have an XC bike coming with a 150mm so that will be interesting. If I have to buy another one for the big it will be 200mm though.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    A longer post may not fit your frame. You may want to check that first.
    I suspect frame insertion will be an issue, too.

I ride medium frames, too, and find that frame insertion is the bigger limiting factor than anything else with dropper fit. Both of my bikes could fit longer droppers if I could insert the posts deeper. I have to run less drop because of that reason.