expert pedal mechanics? Looking for real world service.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

expert pedal mechanics? Looking for real world service.

I have two pairs of Bebop pedals, both need service. I bought the first pair to make a custom platform pedal with foot very close to axle which I've been using for the last 15 years. The axle has pulled out of both original ones. About the same time, I bought a second pair just as backups. These had really stiff bearings. Complained to the US distributer at the time and they said in spec, just random contract manufacturers.

So I'm guessing the Bebop pedals are not the best design (now even one of my backups have failed), and I bought some Xpedos that appear to be better built. A bit heavier and I won't be as close to the axle (never owned those old Dura Ace below axle centerpoint but appreciate the design in theory), but really before I tear up my waterjet cut platforms made just for the Bebops, I want to find out if I can fix the Bebops first.

So I'm looking for a professional mechanic or someone else who can get these fixed. I'm in the Dayton Ohio area, but happy to business by mail. Not even sure why the axles pulled out with the fixing screw in place. Guessing there is a plastic retention washer that failed. So help is needed, not how to advice: but thanks even if advice is given.

mtbr member
    I have no experience with Bebops, but your custom platform sounds interesting. Got any pix you could post?
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sure. I tapped the fastening holes of the Bebop pedals as you can see. The Bebop are ideal for for making very lightweight platforms. The xpedo has already fully tapped their pedals for pins so I will just use those for bolts. I will have to extend the pedal cutaway to the edge of the plate for the xpedos to get enough lateral distance so I'll probably lose a bit of strength. Based on using these for 15 years and many thousands of miles, don't think it will matter. The expedos are magnesium and will offer a lot of support and the bolt holes will be wider giving more support.

The expedos are interesting. Well built triple bearing design, but can't imagine wanting to use them with flat shoes. Just not enough support for any size foot other than a child's foot. $55 but had to wait 7 weeks to get shipped from China. So lots cheaper than unavailable Bebops or Speedplays (which is not an easy conversion). If I took off all the pins, they would weigh only 10g more than the Bebops each, but I plan to leave the half the pins on for easier occasional kick or foot pain relief on the reverse side.Name:  IMG_3934.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  47.2 KBName:  IMG_3936.jpeg
Views: 85
Size:  47.2 KB

mtbr member
    Nice. I've run xpedo clipless pedals for many years, nearly 20 IIRC. I use the ones without any platform. These: https://xpedo.com/product/pedals/mtb/m-force-8/

So your objective is running toe clips with low stack height and low weight?
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    So your objective is running toe clips with low stack height and low weight?
    Yes, plus low seat height. Admittedly mm here sound silly.

I have multiple foot issues, some from using rat trap pedals back in the 60's to early 2000's. I like long distance touring, don't want to use clipless pedals, and would like to use ordinary shoes. No problem using clipless, although compatible shoes cause other foot issues for me. Even if they worked, I have to carry a second pair of shoes with me, just not good for lightweight, low packed volume touring. But even around town, I like options. Like flip flops. Touring someplace like New Zealand, I'd like to do some hiking (tramping in local parlance).

The epedo pedals have an insane 55 x 55mm foot area. Sufficient for my purposes, although not as elegant as the Bebops. I like hearing you are a fan.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just an update for anyone interested. Picture attached of platforms now with Xpedos. Really like it. Feels a lot more solid than the Bebops which had a bit of play. Turns out that just bolted straight to platform, the platform sits 1.2 mm higher than the wider part of the body from flush. So will adjust that later if I can get access to a Bridgeport. Why not? Plus I'll save a cool tenth of a gram! Might also cut off unused bolt holes (only using 4/8). May also remove pins (those really are costly for weight). I'll see if there is a big difference pedaling without them (short periods only).

I'd like to build another set but he vendor I bought them in Taiwan doesn't have any more. Searching on eBay brought up results much more costly, like $80-$100 from Europe. Turns out they have a different model name and some vendors misspelled the old name. $40 from Taiwan! I overpaid at $55. Darned fine pedals for that money, at least for my use. Two months to get, but no rush.expert pedal mechanics? Looking for real world service.-img3948.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Xpedo is under Expertvoice. If you are an IMBA member you get 40% off. Those pedals are $35 plus whatever shipping is.

I have two sets of Xpedo pedals and have no issues with them minus they are harder to release than SPD pedals.