mtbr member
    Jul 2017

DT Swiss 350 Rachet Upgrade - now have high pitch noise

I upgraded my DT Swiss 350 rear hub to a 54T rachet from the stock 18T. I run GX Eagle cassette w/ an XD driver for what itís worth. I ordered the 54T kit from Worldwide Cyclerly and was super pumped to install and try it out.

For the install I followed directions...removed cassette/freehub, cleaned off old grease, changed out the springs and ratchets with light layer of new DT Swiss supplied grease, then reassembled. Easy peasy, right...

But now when the bike is freewheeling or backpedaling I hear a high pitched squeal over the louder 54T ratcheting sound...and itís driving me nuts. Itís kind of like a brake rub sound but a bit fainter and higher pitched...almost like a wind chime or when youíd rub your finger around the edge of a glass filled with water...if that makes sense.

it only happens when freewheeling or backpedaling. Pedaling forward makes no sound.

i emailed DT Swiss and they replied right away with this:

ďMake sure there is a little grease in the main seal between the FH and hub shell. Otherwise it is quite normal for there to be varying noise when coasting.Ē

I have no idea what the main seal is between the FH & hub shell as the cassette and freehub come off as one piece. And this noise wasnít there until I changed out my hub rachets. Iíve taken it apart, cleaned, regreased and reassembled multiple times with the the same result. I also put the 18T back in to see what happned and the sound happpens with hem as well.

Super frustrated as going for a ride with this will be tough to handle. Not sure what Iím doing incorrectly.

Any advice is super appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The seal between Freehub and hubshell would be the lip where outer circumference of the open hub shell (that holds the ratchets, springs, etc) contacts the freehub/cassette body. I would agree, I would pop it back open and make sure everything is greased (springs, ratchets, bearing faces that touch the springs, etc). I've never heard of this issue before in DT swiss hubs...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Are you absolutely sure it isn't the brake rotor? Pop the wheel out, take off the rotor and retest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    Are you absolutely sure it isn't the brake rotor? Pop the wheel out, take off the rotor and retest.

Yes. I had the rear wheel off when doing the rachet swap and when I assembled the rear hub & cassette back together I would spin the cassette and still hear the high pitched noise.

damned rocks...
    They are referring to the rubber seal I'm pointing in the photo.
    Sometime back I had the same sound you are having, and it was driving me crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    They are referring to the rubber seal I'm pointing in the photo.
    Sometime back I had the same sound you are having, and it was driving me crazy.
    Fantastic, thanks for the reply and taking the time to add a picture for reference. So did you just add some of the DT Swiss rachet grease to that seal and problem solved?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Tried relubing the seal and when I reassembled the damn thing still has that sound when freewheeling or backpedalling. About at wits end and sick of messing with it so prob going to haul it into LBS and see what they say. Super frustrating to say the least for such a simple upgrade.

damned rocks...
    Eventually the noise went away, but each time I clean the hub, it come back for a couple of rides. But it's only for the first fraction of a second when I start freewheeling. So I'm guessing your noise has a different source.