Dropper remote for a dude with tender thumbs...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Dropper remote for a dude with tender thumbs...

One of my weak links seems to be my thumbs getting buggered up from operating a 1x shifter and dropper remote in rugged terrain. It's not just the occasional major mistake, it's that they get quite dinged up with lots of joint soreness in both of them with regular riding. I'm thinking about going Grip Shift for the right side (shifter), but am also thinking of trying to McGyver a Grip Shift for the dropper remote. Who wants to encourage/guide my on the Grip Shift conversion? And who wants to tell me I'm an idiot and provide some other dropper remote option?

Important details:
    Dropper post = Fox Transfer
    Current remote = stock Transfer thumb trigger

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Don't have any experience with using a grip shifter to operate a dropper seatpost - could be interesting. I would suggest trying a LA wolf tooth shifter. The LA (light action) has a longer paddle, for more leverage and should therefore require less pressure.

I'll be curious to hear what you decide on. My wife hates thumb shifters; when we decide to get her a dropper post, this will be an issue we have to work out as well.

mtbr member
    I don't see any reason why a GripShift wouldn't work as a dropper remote just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Only issue I can think of is the return on a grip shift isn't spring-loaded; so when you drop the post you'll have to twist it back before standing up.

Probably not a problem when you drop the post completely, but may make setting the post in between up and down a bit more challenging.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    9 point 8 has a dropper remote that's finger triggered like a smaller brake lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Only issue I can think of is the return on a grip shift isn't spring-loaded
    That shouldn't be a problem. Most dropper levers are not sprung either. The lever on the post is where the spring is. You'd want to open up the gripshift and remove the part that holds it in the selected gear so that the post spring will pull it back. Should be easy to do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    That shouldn't be a problem. Most dropper levers are not sprung either. The lever on the post is where the spring is. You'd want to open up the gripshift and remove the part that holds it in the selected gear so that the post spring will pull it back. Should be easy to do.

Yeah, my understanding is that the Grip Shifter has a spring for the indexing that needs removed. I'm close to pulling the trigger (no pun intended), but am still curious if there are other opinions or experiences to draw from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Ride View Post
    I'm close to pulling the trigger (no pun intended), but am still curious if there are other opinions or experiences to draw from.
    I would just go for it. I really can't think of any reason why it would not work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Don't have any experience with using a grip shifter to operate a dropper seatpost - could be interesting. I would suggest trying a LA wolf tooth shifter. The LA (light action) has a longer paddle, for more leverage and should therefore require less pressure.

I'll be curious to hear what you decide on. My wife hates thumb shifters; when we decide to get her a dropper post, this will be an issue we have to work out as well.
    Yeah. The Wolftooth light action lever which has a greater leverage ratio and a nice ball bearing so is probably the easiest thumb paddle type to actuate. That and a good cable, like Shimano SP41 housing and Optislick cable, will go a fair way in making dropper actuation easier. I'm not sure if that would be sufficient for you, and you'd need to check the compatibility of the lever with your Fox dropper.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks everyone. I may still just ease into this. I've bought a Grip Shift shifter. I think I might try that (as a shifter) along with the Wolf Tooth LA to see how it goes. If I LOVE the Grip Shift and the LA doesn't get me all the way there, I can take another bite by trying the Grip Shift on the left side.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I have a DVO Garnet that came with a tab you can press with your palm

this type of lever is an option

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I modified the wolftooth by extending the level to double its length. The increased lever length totally eliminated the thumb pain. It is the same principal as their light action lever but even longer. I took a piece of aluminum the right size and shape, drilled a hole through the lever and aluminum and epoxied them together with a small bolt holding them tightly. Then I covered it with rubber. It feels like the pressure required is less than half. No more thumb pain. I use a grip shifter on the right for the thumb pain on that side.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Really, what you need is AXS, or Magura. When it comes to light action nothing beats just pressing a button.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Wolftooth light action is friggin awesome. I replaced my original one with it and it is super nice and very low pressure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Really, what you need is AXS, or Magura. When it comes to light action nothing beats just pressing a button.
    Good point. Ridiculously expensive but the Reverb AXS is also ridiculously easy to operate, love mine!

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    I've had issues with both thumbs for years. Shifters/dropper levers with a more Horizontal swing are easier on my thumbs. And have found the Race Face Turbine 1x lever to be the Sh*t. Great leverage and have used with my LEV for the last couple years.

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...opper-1x-lever

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Also have thumb joint issue's. Running a YEP remote with Fox Transfer. Set up for my Index finger and works awesome. Easier to operate brake and dropper at the same time as well. 2nd choice would be WT LA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dropper remote for a dude with tender thumbs...-img_9570_1.jpg  

Dropper remote for a dude with tender thumbs...-img_9571_1.jpg