Dropper post 'sticks' at top- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Dropper post 'sticks' at top

Hi,

Don't know if this is in the right section, with eight million different forum sections to choose from I couldn't find one that covered dropper posts so GD will do..

I have a fairly new 2018 Trance 2 with the Giant dropper, when I want to drop the seat the dropper post seems to 'stick' at the top for a bit and I need to shift my weight to get it to drop. It feels like I need to shift my weight back a little bit, kind of like in the pic if the dropper/seat is the black T, the red arrow is how I feel like I'm first putting weight on it, and the blue arrow is where I feel like I have to move to to get it to drop.

This is my first dropper so while that's how it feels, there could be something else going on that's making it feel like that. Can droppers get sticky and need lube or other maintenance? Or is this something normal that I just need to get used to?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    basic thing you can try on that model dropper is to tighten up the cable tension. its pretty sensitive to cable tension.

since 4/10/2009
    It may need some lubrication. I dunno about your dropper post, but when my Oneup is feeling a little sticky, that means it's time to unthread the collar, apply some Slick Honey grease, and cycle the post a couple times to spread the grease around. Just like new.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the ideas guys, I just found a video that shows I can unscrew a collar and give her a grease up so I'll try that, and I'll have a look at cable tension tonight

Cheers

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Moved
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I recently got a new bike and experienced the same thing, just needed a little more cable tension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It may need some lubrication. I dunno about your dropper post, but when my Oneup is feeling a little sticky, that means it's time to unthread the collar, apply some Slick Honey grease, and cycle the post a couple times to spread the grease around. Just like new.
    I had that problem with one up, open it then lubricate, it worked but then keeps binding, i found out that the old lube made it tight inside the bushing. So what i did was sand the outside of the bushing a little a bit, and now it works fine, even goes as fast the specialized dropper.