Dropper Post sizing question – dropper collar and seat clamp distance.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Dropper Post sizing question – dropper collar and seat clamp distance.

Would like to purchase a dropper post. I am 5’11” and ride a large frame. Seat height measures 9 inches from seat post clamp to seat rail. I like to ride technical terrain and would describe my riding as XC / All Mountain with minimal to no gravity / air type riding.

According to dropper post specs, a 150 (6 inch travel post) leaves Ύ inch between dropper post collar and seat clamp and a 125 (5 inch travel post) leaves 1 Ύ inch between dropper post collar and seat clamp. Both sizes will land within specs for both frame and post.

Here is what I have heard:
    1. At least 1 inch between seat post collar and seat clamp is a good idea for potential lowering of max seat height if needed
    2. For my type of riding 5 inches of travel is enough
    3. Going for the most travel is a good idea

Your thoughts / suggestions on which size you would recommend would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'd go with the longer travel dropper if you can be sure you have enough room to get the saddle at the right height. More travel is better. 3/4" between the collar and clamp is pretty close, so I'd be extra sure of my measurements. Keep in mind a change to pedals or shoes could cause a small but significant change in saddle height.

mtbr member
    3/4 is tight. I like to lower my dropper 5-10mm if I'm hitting a very chunky trail. different pedals also change my saddle height. That said, 150mm is better than 125mm, and I've used both.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    one option would be a One Up Dropper as the "drop" can be adjusted.

http://forums.mtbr.com/components/on...1075456-7.html (theres a lot of crap, probably start from Post #300)

although as stated in the thread, Im having some issues with mine, actually I dont think issues is the correct word as they are all fixed/fixable
    always mad and usually drunk......