Dropper post routing - 2017 Scott Scale 730 plus- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Dropper post routing - 2017 Scott Scale 730 plus

After years of road riding I finally gone got me a mountain bike. It took me about 10 minutes to realise I need a dropper post. Having done a lot of research I now know how to work out what one I want and how to fit it with internal routing. I have two questions about fitting.

1) The frame has 2 cable holes on each side of the down tube near to the head tube. As you would expect the gear cables go in to two of them and the rear breaks are routed through another. I assume the fourth, which is currently filled with a plastic bung, if for the dropper remote cable?

2) There is an oval hole on the rear of the seat tube, about 1 up from the bottom bracket, almost in line with the front derailleur mount, which has a plastic bung in it at the moment. Should the dropper post cable exit here and be routed in to the down tube with the rest of the cables?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Do the brake (not break) hose and rear derailleur cable exit the down tube near the bottom bracket?

If so, perhaps your dropper cable will exit the frame then re-enter the frame behind the seat tube. Seems like an off place though, how is one to get a cable housing to come up behind the seat tube and not be vulnerable to damage.

Many bikes to have exposed housing/hose below the BB these days. If the dropper is fully internally routed, you may need to remove the crank to properly route the housing into the seat tube without wrapping the cable around the crank inside the BB.

But yeah, I'm sure the cable exits and re-enters or else there wouldn't be a penetration point behind the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    They do. They exit under the BB and are routed round in a cable guide.

Thats what I was thinking it could be for, but as you say it seems vulnerable to damage and it seems a perfect way to flood the inside of the frame with water, mud and everything else the rear wheel throws up. The only other thing I could think of was that its for helping with the routing of the cable, or something else I have not thought of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I think I have worked it out. The oval hole needs a grommet for the dropper post cable. The only issue is that no one in the UK seems to sell them.

mtbr member
    Have you tried a local Scott dealer? I usually you get frame specific items like that from a dealer who can order them from the manufacturer if they don't have any on hand.
    Do the math.