mtbr member
    Feb 2008

dropper post recs

I have a 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 970 with a RockShox Reverb dropper post. I've had good luck with my dropper post. I've never had any issues with it and I've never even had it serviced. But I've started riding my bike in temps down to 30 degrees lately and the dropper post gets really sluggish around this temp.

From what I understand, this is due to the fact that the dropper post uses hydraulic fluid. I asked my bike shop guy if there was any special fluid that could be used to maintain performance down to 30 degrees but he said nope that's just what you get with hydraulics-based dropper posts. Is that really the case? I did some basic googling and there seems to be several options for extreme low temperature hydraulic fluid. Or do dropper posts require a very specific type of hydraulic fluid with no workaround for sluggish performance around 30 degrees?

I've heard that mechanical dropper posts tend to be more reliable, require less maintenance and are cheaper to maintain. Is this the case? I think my LBS guys said that by eliminating hydraulic fluid, mechanical dropper posts perform well even at low temps. So what are your recs for the latest and greatest mechanical dropper posts on the market? Feel free to recommend dropper post and remote mix and match b/c a lot of riders seem to do that based on what I've read.

mtbr member
    I've had mine (Reverb 170mm) for a year (came on the Kona when it showed up last Dec). First few rides it was well below freezing (low 20's) and I had issues with it. I bought a bleed kit and followed SRAM/RockShox bleed procedure. A year later and I've never had any issue with it. Average 3 rides/week and I have done NOTHING but ride it since the bleed a year ago. The last couple of months have been back to many sub-freezing night rides...still works fine.

There's a long thread on Reverbs in components section...lots of great into there.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

since 4/10/2009
    Most droppers have hydraulics in the internals. The hydaulics unique to the reverb are in the actuation.

Yours is old enough to be in the earlier, less reliable era. And with no maintenance since purchase, it's probably in sore need of some tlc. At minimum a bleed, as the fluid sram uses requires more frequent bleeding.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @sturge - are you saying that your reverb was sluggish the first few times you rode it in low 20's weather but after you bled the reverb, you're now able to ride the reverb in low 20's weather without it being sluggish?

I've read a lot of threads about reverbs in the past. I've been very happy with mine and I've never had any issues although I've read a lot of complaints from reverb owners who have had issues. I get the impression that I got lucky with my reverb and that's also what my lbs guy told me today at the bike shop lol.

given the state of technology and evolution over the last 5 years, are there mechanical dropper posts which are better and cheaper than reverb?

also, I've read threads about dropper posts where riders sometimes experience some quirky behavior when the dropper post is fully extended. that being said, should I try to go with a dropper post that's slightly longer than what I need as a way to help mitigate some of those potential quirks that riders experience when the seatpost is fully extended?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    @sturge - are you saying that your reverb was sluggish the first few times you rode it in low 20's weather but after you bled the reverb, you're now able to ride the reverb in low 20's weather without it being sluggish?
    Yes, I pulled bike out of the box and set everything up in my living room. Everything worked great...then I went for first ride (approx 25degF) and post would not extend. It was my first dropper post so I didn't really miss it. Brought it back inside after ride...worked fine after warming up. Did some research...That's when I decided to try a bleed as I read that some have found air in new installs.

Never had the issue again and I'm 1 year into it and on to my second winter now. No reason to go mechanical for me...and I ride a lot in cold temps once Nov/Dec hits. Some rides in single digits with no issues.

It's due for service but I'm resisting because things are working fine.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    There are countless related threads on here that will provide hours, if not days, of anecdotal reading pleasure.

***my post below speaks generally of my dropper experience, not with respect to cold weather riding which is what you have asked about***

I have had, I believe, 6 Reverbs. Not a single problem with any. The one on my 2015 Range got plenty of use and abuse. When I first got it, I rode that bike 28 days in a row on legit dirt.

Fast forward to 2018, when I bought my Sight. It came with a 170 mm Reverb. It was nice having a 170 but slammed, it felt a smidge too long when fully extended. Then I started getting spooked because it seemed to take longer than I expected to fully extend, even with it adjusted to the fastest setting. In hindsight, it was probably because of the extra 20mm over other droppers I had. Anyway, I was getting ready for a Fernie trip and had the opportunity to swap it out for next to nothing for a 150 Factory Transfer and Wolf Tooth remote, which I did (there seems to be as much debate on here about the best remote, as there is about droppers). So far so good, except my lever action has a small “click” you can feel about half way through its action. I have read others have experienced the same thing with this combo. Whatever. If that’s my biggest gripe, I am doing well.

I just installed the same combo on my new Honzo 30th Anniversary build.

I have now had 8 droppers. Not a problem with any. I have beaten the odds big time. My LBS tells me that dropper problems are THE number one issue they have to grapple with daily. Nothing else comes remotely close. That said, I never raise my bikes into my truck by the seat unless the post is fully extended. Maybe that has helped.

I demoed a new Stumpy with their proprietary dropper. Most bizarre dropper I have ridden in my life. Sounded like a fishing reel cranked through an amplifier and it always dropped a small amount from its top setting. I understand that there have been issues with the new Stumpy and this post. Glad I avoided it entirely (I have also heard, although this has to be complete bull shit), that the Stumpy post is in a bizarre size that precludes using a non-proprietary dropper).

Lots of love for BikeYoke on here and, to a lesser extent, Transfers. I am happy so far with my Transfer/WolfTooth remote combo.

since 4/10/2009
    I have a Thomson Covert and have nothing but positives to say about it. I've got about 3yrs on it. Had it serviced earlier this year and it's been solid since. It's an expensive post, though, and some of the newer, well regarded ones are less expensive. I'm building a new bike now and will have to decide at some point which dropper to put on it. It seems there are enough reasonably reliable ones on the market right now that I'll be able to narrow my list based on which one will fit the best on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I demoed a new Stumpy with their proprietary dropper. Most bizarre dropper I have ridden in my life. Sounded like a fishing reel cranked through an amplifier and it always dropped a small amount from its top setting. I understand that there have been issues with the new Stumpy and this post. Glad I avoided it entirely (I have also heard, although this has to be complete bull shit), that the Stumpy post is in a bizarre size that precludes using a non-proprietary dropper.
    Not surprised...My buddy has a 2012 stumpy and it seems like EVERYTHING that needs replacing is custom built for Specialized and not available on the open market. This includes items that most of us have choices for aftermarket upgrades...items like Fox shock which has a 'special' trunion built into it that no other shock manufacturer makes, the rims which have a bizarre 'special' setup that's frustratingly difficult to match up, etc. The 'dealer' is useless and of no help in coming up with alternatives...all they say is 'Specialized part is no longer available'...total BS. They are nice bikes but I would NEVER buy a Specialized for this reason.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    They are nice bikes but I would NEVER buy a Specialized for this reason.
    I had one about 15yrs ago, and even then, they used a rear shock with wacky dimensions. Wasn't impossible to replace, but it wasn't easy, either. I've seen them getting worse with proprietary parts, and so they haven't even been a consideration since.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Ironically, one of the things the Big S is pumping hard with the new Stumpy is that it no longer requires proprietary components...except for its dropper apparently (again, unless what I have heard is BS).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the brand-x ascend is on sale for $135 at crc so it seems like it's worth a try. everyone seems to like the ascend. worst case scenario is that it will make an affordable backup when my reverb is getting serviced. I'm 6 foot 1 and ride a large rocky mountain instinct 970:

http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2013

looks like crc only has the 150mm and they're sold out of the 120mm. do you think that the 150mm should work fine for my bike and height?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    can anyone else here confirm an experience like sturge's? ie the reverb from the factory became sluggish around 30 degrees but then after the first service, the reverb maintained the quick and snappy behavior at 30 degrees that it has at 80 degrees? my lbs guy basically told me that hydraulic droppers all get sluggish around 30 degrees and that's just how it is.

also, based on the extensive reliability issues that I've heard about the early model reverbs, is there any potential risk that I might send a reverb that has been working for 5 years without issue to get serviced but for some reason the unit can no longer be serviced or it starts having issues shortly after I get it back from service?

damned rocks...
    Wiggle owns Chain Reaction and also has an online store, you can find there some Brand-X droppers, including a 170mm version and a 150mm that has a smaller total length than the first generation of the 150mm, apparently it also has less play then the first gen.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-asc...pper-seatpost/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    my current reverb measures 125mm x 30.9mm. I'd like to get the "ascend 2" b/c I'm assuming it has improvements over the original ascend.

I'd like to try the 150mm ascend b/c I think that the extra inch would allow me to ride the post without quite fully extending it. I get the impression that sometimes dropper posts get a little bit of wiggle when they're fully extended. The product page for the ascend 1 offers a 150mm option:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod149024?mx=a

But the product page for the Ascend 2 appears to offer a max length of only 125mm:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod159176?mx=a

the ascend xl is 170mm which is about an inch more than what I need so a 150mm would be ideal but a 170mm would be fine as well:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod159172?mx=a

does the ascend xl share it's tech with the ascend 2?

damned rocks...
    My friend got two 150mm one was 1st or 2nd gen, but I don't recall which one, but possibly the 1st, the others is the XL version, he says it has less play and overall better quality, the lever also has better finish and quality, it doesn't look so cheap and frail.
    But I can't say if the 2nd and the XL share any tech or if they are the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for all the feedback guys. I just pulled the trigger on a brand-x ascent xl now I need a good quality, vertically mounted and discreet dropper remote. I like this pnw mtb dropper lever:

https://www.jensonusa.com/PNW-MTB-Dr...iABEgI1PfD_BwE

in the category of discreet, vertically mounted dropper remotes, are there other options I should consider over the pnw version at the url above? or is the pnw version at the url above pretty well regarded?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    also, based on the extensive reliability issues that I've heard about the early model reverbs, is there any potential risk that I might send a reverb that has been working for 5 years without issue to get serviced but for some reason the unit can no longer be serviced or it starts having issues shortly after I get it back from service?
    I think that'll depend solely on the guy rebuilding your Reverb. From what I've read on that giant Reverb thread...is that poor performance after a rebuild is the result of a poor rebuild.

There is also an "upgraded" service kit for the earlier Reverbs that include a newer version of the internal floating piston.

There is a user on here named "bing!" that works on a lot of Reverbs and seems have a pretty good rep. I'm probably going to use him when mine need to be serviced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rubbed some "honey slick" grease on my reverb before riding tonight but the dropper extension was still noticably slower in low 40's weather

mtbr member
    Yours may need service after all this time but it's not hard to try a PROPER bleed for kicks. I don't buy the low temps/viscosity argument that 'they all do that in low temps'. Those who take the time to do it right have good success in cold weather.

Reverb fluid is very light (low viscosity) and does not thicken up much from the cold. The bigger concern is moisture or air in the system which can impact performance differently in lower temps. At the very least, if you try to push older fluid (and any contaminates) out of the system and replenish with new fluid that should help. It's not hard to bleed the system with the proper kit and procedure. SRAM website had video's which is what I followed after getting the kit.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler