Dropper post with offset/setback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Dropper post with offset/setback

Due to the new trend of steep seat tubes, combined with my long legs, I'm having a hard time getting a proper fit on most new bikes. Being too much forward just exacerbates some patella pain I've been carrying around for a while. So I need to resort to a dropper with setback. I know specialized offers one, as well as 9point8. Is there other options in the market that I'm not aware of?

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Specialized has the Command post...and I think KS has one thats setback too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    i like the spesh command post. You will be forever adjusting air pressure on it though as it doesnt like temperature shifts or elevation changes much.

patella pain...

here are my two bikes.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/s...ttie-2017-xxl/

both my bikes are setup almost identical... same bars, same stem lengths, cranks, seats,

There is a stock offset dropper on the stumpy.
    Regular dropper on the fuse.

the front of the seat is 40mm closer to the handlebars on the stumpy. That doesnt appear to be possible if you read the geo numbers. Reach is correct, but ettl is wrong on the stumpy.

at the end of last season, i started getting patella tendon pain.

While forward geo bikes may climb steep hills better, they are not beneficial to the knees. You may disagree. But IMO anyone who hasnt experienced knee pain on steep sta bikes just havent ridden long enough or hard enough to set it off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I had a similar issue: The dropper post replaced a rigid setback post, and then the saddle was too far forward. Since I had just spent good money on the dropper post, and there are really limited options in 27.2 dropper posts, I decided to shop for a different saddle that is functionally more set back than the original one, either with longer rails, or with a different profile. I think I've found the right saddle but it took some looking.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I bought a Selle SMP a few years ago just because it has super long rails, which allowed me to slide my saddle back more than my undersized road bike allowed me at that time. Cured my knee pain.

Had knee pain on my fat bike. Installed a setback rigid post, slid the saddle back, problem gone.

I know it's not a question of saddle height because I've tried pretty much every possible height. I really need proper setback. With the current trend of steep STA and lack of options for setback droppers, I think it will become an issue for many.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk