Dropper post length help needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dropper post length help needed

I'm building up from a new frame and I need to decide between two lengths of dropper posts.

If I use the 160mm then I'll need it set almost all the way in the seat tube with only about 10-15mm of room above the seat collar for downward adjustments. I'm not at my max leg extension at this height, but it's close. So this length would give more travel, but would I ever want/need to lower the entire post down more than a minor amount?

Or I can get the 125mm. This length would put the post somewhere around half of it's adjustment limits at my needed extension. So I could go up or down easily by 30-50mm if needed.

So more travel but I can't lower the entire post more than 10-15mm?

Or less travel but with more overall height adjustments?

I'm only interested in one particular dropper and these are the heights I can use. Don't care about resale value or other folks fitting on my bike.

Thoughs? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    Hardtail or FS? 160mm is a lot of drop, it sounds like you'll be ok with either option though. Your argument against the 160 is that it doesn't offer as much overall height adjustment. How often do you plan on adjusting it?

mtbr member
    Sorry, it's for a FS.

I don't ever adjust my seatpost now. Well, I used to have it at max leg extension and a while back lowered it by 5-10mm. This is for a solid post. Not dropper.

Just curious if having more travel is better, and are there any reason that I would want or need to lower it in the near future.

Plus both have less travel than the stated lengths. Probably more like 100mm and 140mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    If you can run a 160mm dropper, have at it if you can fit it in your bike. I originally bought a 150mm dropper but the stupid accessory holder mounting nut on the seat tube prevented me from being able to insert the dropper the extra 1" I needed for my riding height. I ended up having to exchange it for a 125mm which still works fine for me.

I've never needed to seat the dropper deeper into the seat post.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
    Sorry, it's for a FS.

I don't ever adjust my seatpost now. Well, I used to have it at max leg extension and a while back lowered it by 5-10mm. This is for a solid post. Not dropper.

Just curious if having more travel is better, and are there any reason that I would want or need to lower it in the near future.

Plus both have less travel than the stated lengths. Probably more like 100mm and 140mm.

Coming from rigid post, fixated on 1 dropper exclusively, tinfoil hat dropper travel comment... nobody can predict what you'll think. 40% chance you're crazy.

I ran a rigid post for a long time before moving to a dropper. For me, 100 is insufficient, 125 is fine. 135 is a lot better. 150-170 is great, now that me and my knees are accustomed to a big drop. Somewhere beyond that and my bum knee can't handle the articulation.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Tin foil hat comment?

I have ridden with a dropper on one of my bikes. It's a 125mm because that's all the frame can handle. I gathered that a longer dropper is better, just curious if I was missing something in regards to overall adjustability.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I guess I don't understand the question. Once the post is set at your personal ride height, you don't need to worry about how much range you have to insert/remove from the seat tube. Why is this an issue?

Generally, folks want the maximum amount of drop they can get.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I guess I don't understand the question. Once the post is set at your personal ride height, you don't need to worry about how much range you have to insert/remove from the seat tube. Why is this an issue?

Generally, folks want the maximum amount of drop they can get.
    I guess what I mean is after it's set, what other reasons would I have to need to lower it permanently? New saddle, different length cranks, etc. I'd hate to need to lower it past the 10-15mm.

Just asking if there are other reasons to lower it that I'm not thinking about?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I guess what I mean is after it's set, what other reasons would I have to need to lower it permanently? New saddle, different length cranks, etc. I'd hate to need to lower it past the 10-15mm.

There isn’t any reason you’d have to lower it permanently. Unless you suddenly shrunk in height.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie

I will occasionally lower mine an additional inch when I go to the bike park, but apart from that, there's no reason to lower it. Most important is to have it at max leg extension, so you can actually ride your bike like a bike, then lower it for the descents. Depending on the bike and dropper, you may be able to lower it further, but it's far more important that you be able to use it at max leg extension, otherwise it makes riding miserable and even smaller amounts of drop, like 125, go a long way. More is usually better, but don't sacrifice leg extension....except for park days.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    FWIW: Max leg extension typically means knee bent 25-30 degrees at bottom of normal seated pedaling stroke.

Reasons I can think of that where you might want to adjust max saddle height is changing crank arm length, saddle stack height, saddle setback, pedal/shoe stack height, ... depending on how finicky you are about optimum pedaling height.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Maybe if you got longer cranks, thinner soled shoes, thicker pant liner chamois but I'd think 10-15mm is adequate to compensate. If unsure, you can check out 9Point8 or OneUP droppers that allow you to reduce the dropper height with shims should you need a bigger reduction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Maybe if you got longer cranks, thinner soled shoes, thicker pant liner chamois but I'd think 10-15mm is adequate to compensate....
    Haha! I forgot about a thicker chamois!

But seriously, I think Jayem's bike park comment might be the only reason for a longer length adjustment beyond the 10-15mm it will have. I'm actually going with a shorter crank than present, so I might even raise it up a bit.

160mm post ordered. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    So which dropper did ya pick up?

mtbr member
    So which dropper did ya pick up?
    Bike Yoke Revive. I've heard/read great things about it, so I figured I should see for myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Cool.

mbtr member
    Tin foil hat comment?
    That the dropper will have less drop than advertised.

Enjoy the new bike!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

since 4/10/2009
    Maybe if you got longer cranks, thinner soled shoes, thicker pant liner chamois but I'd think 10-15mm is adequate to compensate. If unsure, you can check out 9Point8 or OneUP droppers that allow you to reduce the dropper height with shims should you need a bigger reduction.
    For these reasons, I'd prefer to avoid slamming the post as low as possible (except for shimmable posts), but 10-15mm of possible extra insertion should be fine to account for that need, I agree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    That the dropper will have less drop than advertised.

Enjoy the new bike!
    Ah, got it. I should have said "probably" or "maybe". All I'm basing that comment on is the Bike Yoke websites measurements. They show the sizes from the collar to the base of the saddle rail head. Now maybe theirs really does drop all the way to that point, but other droppers I've seen and used stopped a bit before that junction.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll have all my parts in by the middle of next week so I can build it up for the weekend.