dropper post collar to saddle length. who's is the shortest for 125mm of drop?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

dropper post collar to saddle length. who's is the shortest for 125mm of drop?

I currently have an amazingly reliable gravity dropper turbo LP in 100mm form. Love it. However my new frame is a "tweener" in size and I'm very close to being able to drop 125mm... But the gd just has too much collar to saddle rails "extra" that I cannot upgrade to 125mm. Puts me too high when fully extended even when fully slammed down.

My buddies 125mm Lev is almost perfect but probably 2-3mm too tall when fully extended. Not going to work in 125mm size... But so close.

What post is the "lowest profile" in 125mm form. Just under 7 inches needed in fully extended mode? Rails to collar measurement.

I know this info is likely out there but buried in the 100s of dropper post threads. So please forgive me.
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check out the Reverb. Dont have the dimensions on me but when I built my bike the shop suggested it instead of the Thomson due to me being short.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem with my new bike: Seat is too high even with the dropper post as low as it will go. I asked the manufacturer to swap the 125 mm drop with a 100 mm which they use on the size small, but they said that would be "Impossible". I am getting a discount, but I am wondering if they say swapping a dropper post is "impossible" for customers paying full price on a $10,000 bike.
    Last edited by Killroy; 03-14-2015 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Manufacturer? Your bike shop should switch it out no problem. Never heard of being able to fit a 125mm dropper but not a 100mm. That defies the laws of physics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    Manufacturer? Your bike shop should switch it out no problem. Never heard of being able to fit a 125mm dropper but not a 100mm. That defies the laws of physics.
    I left out some important detail. I'm buying directly from the factory, so no bike shop is involved. "Impossible" either means they are kidding or they are too lazy to open the box and swap the part. Internal routing and bleeding is biatch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Impossibly lazy, yes that is within the laws of physics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The only post I know of that will work for you is the KS Lev Integra. The internally routed design has a shorter stack height that is a little bit shorter than the regular Lev. Art's lists it as 175mm (mesaured) and this seems accurate to me. I started with a Lev 100mm, because the 125mm Lev was also about 5mm too tall for me. After searching and searching, I got the Lev Integra 125mm and it fits me just fine with a little room to spare. After looking myself, I believe the Lev Integra has the shortest stack height of all the 125mm droppers.

mtbr member
    Some saddles have low "stack height", like the the SLR. I happen to be a fan of the SLR because of my CX racing leanings. They can be found cheap on Ebay with dinged up leather on the sides, but I just peal off the leather and run it naked and lighter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    I currently have an amazingly reliable gravity dropper turbo LP in 100mm form. Love it. However my new frame is a "tweener" in size and I'm very close to being able to drop 125mm... But the gd just has too much collar to saddle rails "extra" that I cannot upgrade to 125mm. Puts me too high when fully extended even when fully slammed down.
    OP, how close are you talking about? 5mm, 7mm, 10mm ?
    On my old GD turbo, assuming has the same body / main housing with yours, the bottom cap, you can screw it in all the way in, like maybe 10 mm or more inside, then you can cut the rest of the body / main housing.
    Check it out, if that's possible with yours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Some saddles have low "stack height", like the the SLR. I happen to be a fan of the SLR because of my CX racing leanings. They can be found cheap on Ebay with dinged up leather on the sides, but I just peal off the leather and run it naked and lighter.
    As Killroy says it could be worth looking at different saddles,I swapped out my Specialized Henge saddle for a Fabric Scoop Radius Elite saddle,it must be close to 1cm lower if not more in profile.I thought the seatpost had slipped when I got on it for the first time and then noticed the end of cable for the dropper post was bent over and rubbing the underneath of the saddle when there was at least 5mm gap with the original saddle.I wouldnt class either of those saddles as low profile so if you do find a low profile saddle you might get 1.5cm or even 2cm more room if that would be enough!

mtbr member
    I just bought a new bike and being 5"9 1/2" I found seat tube length excluded a lot of good bikes from my search. I wanted a decently long reach and with a lot of makers this entails moving up to a large frame which prevents me from running a 125mm dropper. A 125mm dropper is becoming ubiquitous on bikes and 150mm is also available. I think bike makers need to keep this in mind when designing frames for those under 6'. That doesn't help you but this might.

Review: 8 Dropper Seatposts selected for testing | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

It looks like Thomson is the lowest.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That list is a great start, but they didn't add the height from the top of the seat post to the clamp rails. See the Thompson site at: Thomson Bike Products | Dropper Seatposts and look at the specs. You still have to add to 38mm for the head of the post, which brings it to a stack height of 188mm, the Lev Integra is 175mm. Not disputing the 'review', just saying it isn't a complete measurement. I still believe the stack height on the Lev Integra is the lowest for a 125mm dropper.

mtbr member
    I didn't notice that but the Thomson has a huge head, really big. This measurement should be commonly available just like axle to crown measurements on forks. One of the many reasons that I went with a Knolly Warden is that I could use a 150mm dropper and get the reach and stack I wanted.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Funny you mention that Travis as I am in the same boat as you and could run the 150mm on the Warden. I see you just got one and like it. Only thing holding me back is I can't try one out for a ride. I'd love to see how it pedals on a looong climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anyone have measurements on the doss?

Looks like it may work well
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think the Doss is 190mm for a 125 post

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    here's a handy guide by the alltricks bike shop...https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11025848/p4pb11025848.jpg

it shows most, but not all of the dropper posts

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jason300b View Post
    I think the Doss is 190mm for a 125 post
    Dang that is way too long.

Looks like I may be drilling a hole in my frame for an integra
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Funny you mention that Travis as I am in the same boat as you and could run the 150mm on the Warden. I see you just got one and like it. Only thing holding me back is I can't try one out for a ride. I'd love to see how it pedals on a looong climb.
    I have the CC Inline on mine and it climbs as well as my old DW link Turner 5 Spot as long the climb switch is on. Once you are on the trail you switch it off and it is an amazing tech climber. We have pretty long climbs and the bike doesn't hold me back. The geometry is dialed.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the same problem with my new bike: Seat is too high even with the dropper post as low as it will go. I asked the manufacturer to swap the 125 mm drop with a 100 mm which they use on the size small, but they said that would be "Impossible". I am getting a discount, but I am wondering if they say swapping a dropper post is "impossible" for customers paying full price on a $10,000 bike.
    I left out some important detail. I'm buying directly from the factory, so no bike shop is involved. "Impossible" either means they are kidding or they are too lazy to open the box and swap the part. Internal routing and bleeding is biatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    Impossibly lazy, yes that is within the laws of physics.
    I think if you tell the mfg "OK, No sale. I have to look elsewhere first to resolve this." Then, they might do the "impossible"

Name the manufacturer here. We like names of companies that don't have good customer service.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork.

Giving me negative rep only encourages me.

mtbr member
    Any reason why the LEV can't be opened up and 2 extra top out bumpers added? If parts are in hand, it would be a 10 minute job (at least on LEV DX it would be). Should make it a 117 mm LEV or something like that.
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 03-17-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Hijack: Just finishing up with getting my Warden dialed in. I have the CC DB Air CS. Compared to my 29r SS HT, it sucks on smooth climbs. The rougher it gets, the less of a problem it is. And it more than makes up for it on the way down. I'm running a Metric but having a Pike with a lockout would be really nice.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just a quick bump to the top to see if anyone else has found anything that fits the bill, or any new updated measurements made for some of the newer dropper posts?
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The 9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post Height at Max Insertion is 185mm for their 125mm posts as listed under the 'Drawing' tab.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The 9point8 Fall Line can also be internally shimmed to reduce its stroke and height at max insertion if trying to maximize the stroke possible. Contact customer service and they can get a post setup to your exact needs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I initially read that the Thomson 125mm post could be internally adjusted to 100mm travel, lowering the stack height. Has anyone tried this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm in the same boat - But Art's now says the 2016 Lev Integra 125 stack height is 184, 2015 is 175. What has changed if anything?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Lev TI has a 190m collar to saddle, while the reverb has 195mm collar to saddle. So that is the shortest I know of in a 125mm dropper. You may have to go with a 100mm, or maybe get a lower seat or higher profile pedals to make of for the 3mm extra height. I actually got a 10mm lower profile seat to the height would be correct with the 125mm lev.
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I also think you should try a lower saddle. I recommend the Tioga spyder due to its padding free design
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

it's....
    Ran into this issue with Doss 125, saddle about an inch too tall.
    Besides the lower saddle, I swapped from 175 mm to 165 mm crankset and that got me to correct saddle/pedal height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

conflicting info

KS says it's 176 mm, see below dimension G. Art's says 184 mm, I checked with them to make sure. I'll let you know what I find out...

dropper post collar to saddle length. who's is the shortest for 125mm of drop?-lev-integra-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have this same exact issue with everyone on this thread.

im using the 100mm fox transfer dropper but at max height, i feel my saddle is still 1-2cm too high. i have the dropper installed to the lowest position on my bike. dropper post collar is directly on the seatpost. im on already on a small sized frame and 170mm cranks have been installed as well. this bike just has a longer seat tube than my previous bike, by 23mm.

im currently using a specialized power saddle(155mm size) and it's 42.3mm from the bottom of the rail to the top of the saddle.

aside from the fabric scoop and selle italia SLR, what thinner saddles exist (distance between rails and top-middle of the saddle)?
    2020 yeti sb165 t2