Which dropper post 30.9 170mm ??????????????????????????????????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which dropper post 30.9 170mm ??????????????????????????????????

Wot up interweb experts.

My oneup post shat its self and now 1 need a new post.

I dont want to go one up or reverb or raceface.

There are soooo many posts out there now. its hard to fell which is shithouse and which is good.

What do you recommend for a high quality lowish cost post?

I've been recomended sdg by a few blokes, so i'm open to one of those. I have found a found a crank bros highline for a reasonable price so thats in the mix.

What other options are out there???????????

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can your One up be warrantied? They had some issues with the bushing and such in v1.0. Mine was warranted for version 2.1 and I have had zero issues since.

For a cheap reliable dropper you can look at the Brand X XL dropper at Chain reaction. I have had 3 different versions of their dropper and all have performed flawlessly. I do usually throw a Wolftooth remote on them so that brings cost up to around $200, otherwise they are around $160 or less if you can find a coupon/sale etc.

I also have a PNW Bachelor post that seems to be working well, but I can not say I have had it long term. Doesn't come with a lever so add on the cost. Looking at around $250 for the whole set up.

Out spokin'
    Too bad the BikeYoke Revive isnít a cheap dropper; itís the best Iíve found. My 185mm Revive has been absolutely flawless and Iíve employed it thousands of times throughout the past year and a half. It hammers up to full height instantly with a reassuring top out ďbang!Ē every time I push the actuator lever.

Quality ó the only true economy.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I did warranted the one up and have been refunded my money from the shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just be mindful that OneUps have the shortest stack height. Their 170mm V1 or 180mm V2 is about the same stack height as 150mm for other OEM droppers. So if 170mm was perfect and there wasn't much more insertion room, you might be looking at a 150mm from another company.

fuggansonofahowa
    I've run a PNW Rainier this winter on my fat. I can't talk about longevity, but it has been subject to some pretty crap conditions without farting. In good faith, I can't say that about my Fall Line or Integra. I see the Gen 2's are out and available at 170mm. The reason I bought this is I wanted something as robust as my fatty - maintenance is not an option for me in the winter. Don't expect any adjustments or bells and whistles. It just works.

As mentioned, check the stack and your seat tube depth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman View Post
    I've run a PNW Rainier this winter on my fat. I can't talk about longevity, but it has been subject to some pretty crap conditions without farting. In good faith, I can't say that about my Fall Line or Integra. I see the Gen 2's are out and available at 170mm. The reason I bought this is I wanted something as robust as my fatty - maintenance is not an option for me in the winter. Don't expect any adjustments or bells and whistles. It just works.

I have both the PNW Ranier and Bachelor posts. They are both great. The Ranier is simple, reliable, and just plain works. The Bachelor is lighter and has adjustable return speed and less stack hight. Whichever dropper you choose, make sure to get the Loam Lever, it is the best remote out there IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Has Fox fixed their leaky droppers since 2017-ish?

mtbr member
    Well after stating i didn't want oneup again I doubled down on one up.....

I purchased it locally and when it failed the bike shop said they cant get them again so they gave me a full refund. Litterally 1 week later they had more stock and had them on special for $20 less than what I had pain for the original unit.

So.... i got years use from the post and they essential gave me a brand new 180mm post and $20..... that deal was too food to pass up.

Side note. The rev 2 oneup has gotten rid of that stupid moving outer cable scenario and gone for the traditional outer cable fixed set up. 180 drop does feel good on the super steep.

mtbr member
    I was going to suggest the Manitou Jack until I saw 170mm. They're 150mm max and mine has been brilliant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I also have a OneUp V1 170 and had issues. The new IGUS bushing fixed it up and I put it on another bike. They did give me a discount on a new post as well and I really wanted more drop. I got a 210mm V2 with 2.1 actuator and doubled-down on OneUp. Its badass man. I've had it for 9mo and haven't touched it, cleaned it, greased it etc. Collar is at 5nm. Zero issues even when sitting in 30d garage not ridden for a bit. Wolftooth LA remote is smooth and its awesome going up and down. I don't have to unweight to drop like the V1 or other goofy stuff like that. The price, weght and compact package is unbeatable. At 6-4 - the 210mm drop is freaking awesome too. I think they really nailed it with the v2. We just had to get through that first iteration. I certainly feel your concern and was also on the fence a bit but no regrets so far at all. Good luck

mbtr member
    I'll speak to the e.13 TRS+ i have. I don't think hydraulics belong in seatposts. I've had some, and it adds a lot of complexity with no utility. Hard pass.

I don't give 2 poos about how smooth a post is- all i care about is reliability and user-serviceability.

I've been running gravity droppers for >10 years. I like that they're completely mechanical and 100% flawless, so long as the boot stays in place. If it doesn't (and you ignore it), a complete rebuild is easy with a multitool. My oldest GD post has >20k, with basically no maintenance. That's my benchmark.

The TRS+ is its spiritual successor- lightweight, coil spring, easy to service. No ugly boot to slide off and gum up the mechanism. Mine is a 170mm and my 225lbs hasn't given it any trouble, but it's otherwise inferior to the GD. The most obvious thing is that the lateral movement is fkn nasty. Like, it's enough to be distracting riding no hands.

My other main complaint is that while the GD used a light spring with lots of preload, the trs+ uses a heavier spring with less preload. It can be tricky to get the trs+ to go to full extension if you're wearing somewhat baggy shorts.

The trs+ can drop while you're weighting the saddle, while GD can't. I don't see much value in this, but it's cool. This is inexplicably a big selling point with hydro droppers.

It's works perfectly well, but not very refined. It's weird that it's mostly worse than the GD, but GD is a tough benchmark. At 500 miles in i'm happy with it, but not sold on the product. I be e.13 will have introduced something else before its met GD credentials.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Side note. The rev 2 oneup has gotten rid of that stupid moving outer cable scenario and gone for the traditional outer cable fixed set up. 180 drop does feel good on the super steep.
    Sorry for the issues Plummet. It sounds like you're sorted but if you need anything else or ever have problems you can come to us directly. We stand behind everything we sell.

Cheers,
    Jon @ OneUp

Elitest thrill junkie

Inaugural ride on the PacNW Rainier yesterday. Temps between 2F and 38F, with a good portion down low before the temps got warmer. Worked well enough, but one issue I have is there's not enough return force on the cable. The loam lever actuates with very little force, but there's not a lot of "spring" returning it back, so it ends up not feeling very positive. IMO, the leverage is too great on the lever or the spring too soft. Would probably work better with a shorter throw-lever, like the old Wolftooth.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

fuggansonofahowa
    Yes, it could use a little more pop for sure. Good for my low maintenance fattie. They are mechanical with no frills. If you consider that you can buy two of these for the cost of one BikeYoke dropper, it's hard not to recommend this as a lowish cost, long travel option.

I have a KS integra and a 9p8 Fall Line on my summer rides. I can't say I'm not fiddle-fuggin' with these constantly, but they are both superior droppers. Although I'd expect them to be from the price point.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Inaugural ride on the PacNW Rainier yesterday. Temps between 2F and 38F, with a good portion down low before the temps got warmer. Worked well enough, but one issue I have is there's not enough return force on the cable. The loam lever actuates with very little force, but there's not a lot of "spring" returning it back, so it ends up not feeling very positive. IMO, the leverage is too great on the lever or the spring too soft. Would probably work better with a shorter throw-lever, like the old Wolftooth.
    Hmmmm. Too bad. I was considering that post, as my understanding is that the post uses a coil, not air, spring. Theoretically it should make it much more reliable.

Wonder if yours is a fluke or is that just how they all all?

How is the return speed on at post? I can't take a slowly returning post.

fuggansonofahowa
    The return is on the slow side. IMO, it feels more like the spring/return damper and not the lever. Can't say for sure, but I don't see any speed modulation based on lever throw. But I do think a shorter throw lever would feel better. There is a tendency to push hard on the lever...thinking it'll extend faster. This is an odd feeling and the extension puts your hands in an awkward position.

mtbr member
    FWIW MTB-MAG just did a full review on out V2 210mm post

https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/tested-on...r-seatpost-v2/

"Overall
    At the end of the day, Iíve been wracking my brain to come up with a single complaint regarding this seatpost and Iím coming up short. This is the part of the review where we focus on value, and in that arena OneUp is simply beating up on the big brands Ė all of them. This seatpost is not only much more affordable than what RockShox and Fox have to offer, itís also flat out superior in terms of its performance, ease of maintenance and travel:length ratios. If youíre on the hunt for an aftermarket dropper seatpost, youíd be completely foolish to pass over what OneUp has to offer Ė it is far and away the best bang for the buck on the market."

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The return is on the slow side. IMO, it feels more like the spring/return damper and not the lever. Can't say for sure, but I don't see any speed modulation based on lever throw. But I do think a shorter throw lever would feel better. There is a tendency to push hard on the lever...thinking it'll extend faster. This is an odd feeling and the extension puts your hands in an awkward position.
    Did you adjust the PSI? Mine comes up pretty dang fast