Dropper post “unlocked” while lowered?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Dropper post “unlocked” while lowered?

Wondering if this is normal or if I need to fix my dropper post... New bike - 2019 Ghost SL AMR 6.9 FS carbon frame (great build) except one thing being the dropper post. Is is a “Satori Sorata Pro” which I believe is a rather inexpensive model. I don’t care as long as it works. However, when I engage the lever it lowers and lifts as expected when I press again. My concern is that when lowered down under weight, is locked and holds fine while seated, but I noticed that if grasped by hand while in the set lowered position it is loose going upward and will fall right down if I let go with my hand. Once I engage the lever to raise it back up to the maximum travel height it is properly locked. My concern is if this action normal and safe? Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Is your question:

Why can I raise my seat position when lifting by hand without using the release lever?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Is your question:

Why can I raise my seat position when lifting by hand without using the release lever?
    Essentially yes, however it will fall back down unless the lever is used to raise it back up. I apologize for the long winded question!

mtbr member
    That is normal. I would suggest not doing that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    That is normal. I would suggest not doing that though.

No need to grab my seat post to carry my bike with the seat lowered haha. I just wanted to ensure my dropper isn’t about to collapse on me unexpectedly. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah just get into the habit of lifting it up from the frame. Riding with a dropper if you have never had one before it like a whole new world. Enjoy your new bike and get your shred on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I suggest not storing the bike with the seat lowered.

I suggest not lifting your bike by the seat when seat is lowered -maybe that is what you are doing. The way it was described I assumed you were riding it and would lift it by hand while riding for some reason.

mtbr member
    The usual rule for hydraulic posts is not to pull up the saddle when dropped because it can pull air into the hydraulic fluid and cause the post to get squishy. To do this, it takes some force to create a vacuum in the fluid. Yours sounds like it moves up freely so is likely internally different. IDK if yours is hydraulic or mechanical, but since it moves up freely and goes back down to the set drop, it's probably fine. You might cont Ghost or the post manufacturer and verify with them.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Yeah just get into the habit of lifting it up from the frame. Riding with a dropper if you have never had one before it like a whole new world. Enjoy your new bike and get your shred on!

Awesome I will thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The usual rule for hydraulic posts is not to pull up the saddle when dropped because it can pull air into the hydraulic fluid and cause the post to get squishy. To do this, it takes some force to create a vacuum in the fluid. Yours sounds like it moves up freely so is likely internally different. IDK if yours is hydraulic or mechanical, but since it moves up freely and goes back down to the set drop, it's probably fine. You might cont Ghost or the post manufacturer and verify with them.
    Roger that. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    The subject in this thread is why I don't attach my bikes (with droppers) to bike stands using their seat posts. Not only the issue of up "pulling up" on the post, but also putting lateral force on the post while spinning the bike around. Not to mention potential damage to the posts stanchion surface. Just as easy to attach to the frame, and provides a better center of gravity as well.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.