Dropper Length? 160 or 185mm Bike Yoke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dropper Length? 160 or 185mm Bike Yoke

Doing a frame up build on a new Ibis Ripmo V2 Large. I am 6' with average inseam. Ibis says the frame can accommodate a 160 or 185mm Bike Yoke and both seem to be in my range of seat to BB height. Always have ridden bikes with 150-160mm dropper length. But I am now asking myself, why would I do BIG? with the 185mm? Or why should i stay in the 160mm range?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    Doing a frame up build on a new Ibis Ripmo V2 Large. I am 6' with average inseam. Ibis says the frame can accommodate a 160 or 185mm Bike Yoke and both seem to be in my range of seat to BB height. Always have ridden bikes with 150-160mm dropper length. But I am now asking myself, why would I do BIG? with the 185mm? Or why should i stay in the 160mm range?
    I have a BY 185mm on my Guerrilla Gravity SMASH. I also have a couple of OneUP 210mm droppers on hardtails. After enjoying a 210mm dropper, the 185mm feels short by comparison. But BY is the best dropper in my bunch. After a couple years, it still tops out with an authoritative BANG! every time I hit the lever. OneUP is good too, just not quiiiiiite as good. Anyway this thread is about dropper length.

I have a dropper to get my seat out of the way when descending and jumping. With the seat GONE I'm free to move about, corner faster, hit stuff. Why would anyone want any shorter of a dropper than they could fit in their frame? When it comes to droppers, more is always better. Get used to a long dropper and you'll come to hate anything less.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    I would rather have a dropper with its collar as close to the seattube clamp allowing me the possibility of slamming the seat all the way down (even if i didnt all the time) versus having a seat that was always 25mm higher when slammed.

That is assuming proper full extension riding position of course. So if you can get the same full extension seating position with either post then bigger gives more options.