Dropper for 2014 Cannondale Scalpel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Dropper for 2014 Cannondale Scalpel

I have a 2014 Cannondale Scalpel and would like to add an affordable dropper post if possible. I was hoping for ~$300 but without internal routing I'm not sure if there are good options. The wireless that I've seen have been more expensive than I can justify (~$800). I'm also not sure what the size dropper would be on this bike? Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    There are several externally routed droppers. In no particular order: Thomson, PNW Cascade, Fox Transfer (2020 or older - moving forward only internally routed), Gravity Dropper, and KS LEV. There are others but those are the ones that come to mind. Each has its fans and its haters. I donít have personal experience on it, but the Fox Transfer has a big fan following. PNW is the cheapest of this list (again Iím sure I neglected some that may be cheaper) and has its fans. I personally thought the quality was on par with its price but plenty of people would disagree. Thomson is the most expensive of this list but you can generally find a decent deal. Itís very high quality and worthy of the Thomson name. But, aside from being expensive, itís not user serviceable. It also has the actuator at the post head which is old school and bothers some people. As for dropper length, the general rule of thumb is get the most drop you can fit. That varies by post and design so youíll need to measure based on the different companiesí instructions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Awesome thanks, Iíll look into those! Despite no other internal routing it does appear to have a little port in the frame below the seatpost so maybe something like the bontrager line dropper would work. But the fox transfer and the Thomson both look good. I had been curious about the PNW since I hadnít heard of it until suddenly getting lots of social media advertisements.