Does headtube need to be faced on new frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Does headtube need to be faced on new frame?

I just received a new frame from a seller on eBay and it appears there is a small defect on the upper headtube that creates a small bump on the surface towards the front of the tube. Does the headtube need to be faced to level it out prior to pressing in the upper headset cup or is this a big issue? FYI - this is an older 1 1/8" threadless setup so an external headset will be used. See pic for more more details.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does headtube need to be faced on new frame?-2019-09-03.jpg  

mtbr member
    Personally, I'd use a flat file held flat against the head tube to just remove the lip caused by the dent. The pressed in cup will be located by the cylindrical part that presses into the head tube.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    ^This.

Not a problem if you end up with a slight depression instead of a bump, but the bump is a problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Personally, I'd use a flat file held flat against the head tube to just remove the lip caused by the dent. The pressed in cup will be located by the cylindrical part that presses into the head tube.
    Thanks! I give it a couple of light whacks using a blunted, hand-held rock hammer I had laying around and then smoothed it out with a smooth triangle bastard file. Seemed to do the trick!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Is the internal surface deformed? That would be just as big of an issue as it would put a hot spot on the bearing. The HT may need to be reamed. (or at least sanded down, but ideally I'd use the proper tool for that one).
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Is the internal surface deformed? That would be just as big of an issue as it would put a hot spot on the bearing. The HT may need to be reamed. (or at least sanded down, but ideally I'd use the proper tool for that one).
    Nope. If you look at the picture there is a small dent that is causing a bump to appear on the top outer edge of the headtube. The actual tube itself is perfectly cylindrical. The main concern I had was whether the upper cup would seat properly with that little bump. Just went ahead and leveled it out more by flattening and filing. Thanks!